Sorry don`t know where to post...spider indentification please.

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Hi
I used to post here when I owned a Chilean Rose...
Ok...I need help ..I am in Lancashire U.K.
I am 49,so I have seen a lot of BIG house/shed spiders in my time,always been fascinated by them.
Last night I was sat at pc & this spider crawled up my wall & just sat there,never moved.
I wish the photo could show you the scale of it`s leg spread length
I KNOW you will all probably say a general house spider.But...it wasn`t.
It kinda looked like a big ant....not a hairy kinda spider,i didn`t look real close but was more black than brown.
I`ve Googled & asked around on F.book etc,some saying a False Widow...
But....I looked & they are more brown & spindely...
I will take your guys advice on this okay - but I really know it wasn`t a normal house spider.
Reason for posting/worrying is..is there more of them then? (I live in an old house)
Plus....I have acat thqat likes to catch & eat spiders,if it`s a false widow I need to know
for his safety.
Tia for any advice...I`ll try & attach pic.sorry it`s not very good,only have a tablet.
Captureiuiuiuy.PNG

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
So, what is the height of what I think is a skirting board/baseboard?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi
I am 49,so I have seen a lot of BIG house/shed spiders in my time,always been fascinated by them.
Last night I was sat at pc & this spider crawled up my wall & just sat there,never moved.
It kinda looked like a big ant....not a hairy kinda spider,i didn`t look real close but was more black than brown.
I will take your guys advice on this okay - but I really know it wasn`t a normal house spider.
Reason for posting/worrying is..is there more of them then? (I live in an old house)
Plus....I have acat thqat likes to catch & eat spiders,if it`s a false widow I need to know
for his safety.
Tia for any advice...I`ll try & attach pic.sorry it`s not very good,only have a tablet.
View attachment 347166
Eratigena atrica.

3D117E19-0BCB-4A67-9537-48F4B709714B.jpeg

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
My bad. Ex-Tegenaria, if it's an atrica. Could also be a T. domestica.

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys....i don`t really wanna be measuring things..if you don`t know that`s fine :)
basin...i never saw it`s face (if you know what i mean) still looks way too brown and spindely.
As i say,looked like a kinda big ant.
I caught it but looks small in jar..I post ..

I mean i have SEEN massive house spiders..This wasn`t one it was BIG and its leg spread was long...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks guys....i don`t really wanna be measuring things..if you don`t know that`s fine :)
basin...i never saw it`s face (if you know what i mean) still looks way too brown and spindely.
As i say,looked like a kinda big ant.
I caught it but looks small in jar..I post ..

I mean i have SEEN massive house spiders..This wasn`t one it was BIG and its leg spread was long...
UK house spiders can get huge. Martin at BugzUK had a huge one in his breeding shed. I'm in Lancashire too and have quite a few knocking around the house. Even bring the odd one into captivity (the pic I posted). The 1 in your pics looks just like an Eratigena atrica.

More pics of a "wild one" I used to feed in my lean to.

14E85AED-EBE3-4EDF-ABA5-A3805FF27888.jpeg C2A0AA4D-E245-4F26-A944-FFA5664E1B9F.jpeg

Last edited:

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Omg wow!!!!!!!
oK thank you very much....feeding a house spider ,wow i`d never think to do that...fascinating!
So..a giant house spider..ok ..will thre be more under my house do you think,or are they loners?
Brilliant pics....
Thanks for all your help..
Btw
Stephen king is my fav author-The Shining one of my fav books...just noticed the quote....
I always think of the very 1st line in the book...
Jack Torrence thought "officious little p**ck"
Hahaha!
Thanks dude :)

Two short legs

Arachnopeon
Hi
for his safety.
View attachment 347166
My flat was full of some very large spiders,I stopped two having a fight with a broom handle.it has a go at the broom.this pic inside of a room.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
Omg wow!!!!!!!
oK thank you very much....feeding a house spider ,wow i`d never think to do that...fascinating!
So..a giant house spider..ok ..will thre be more under my house do you think,or are they loners?
Brilliant pics....
Thanks for all your help..
Btw
Stephen king is my fav author-The Shining one of my fav books...just noticed the quote....
I always think of the very 1st line in the book...
Jack Torrence thought "officious little p**ck"
Hahaha!
Thanks dude :)
Usually it's only the mature males you'll see wandering around. You can get they're MM because of their "boxing gloves". These are their pedipalps they use to mate. Males tend to be very, very leggy.

Of course they'll walk around if they've been disturbed (had their webs/homes destroyed).

You'll find spiders all over. I do feed the ones I can see as I like them to be around. Handy for flies or any escaped crickets.

Anyway here's a MM although he was strangely very small. You can see his "boxing gloves".

65661E79-B4A5-424F-83DA-3D8736E0A978.jpeg

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
:D OMG Short legs...Those webs are supa creepy..Eeek!
Ahhh Basin what an amazing pic...You sure are a fine photographer...Wish i knew how to use
my camera...AMAZING shot!
And boxing gloves...Yes! Hahaha! :cool:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Usually it's only the mature males you'll see wandering around. You can get they're MM because of their "boxing gloves". These are their pedipalps they use to mate. Males tend to be very, very leggy.

Of course they'll walk around if they've been disturbed (had their webs/homes destroyed).

You'll find spiders all over. I do feed the ones I can see as I like them to be around. Handy for flies or any escaped crickets.

Anyway here's a MM although he was strangely very small. You can see his "boxing gloves".

View attachment 347297
Excuse me. I have something in my throat!