Soon to be new Greenbottle Blue Tarantula Owner

Joey B

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I'm new here & mostly new to keeping tarantulas. I had one, a Mexican red knee, back in HS many years ago and I've been wanting another for a while now. I think I've decided on a Greenbottle Blue and I had a few questions about setup.

I'm thinking of keeping him in a aquarium with a screen top. I know they don't need any special lighting but I'm wondering if there are any reason why I can't use a low wattage full-spectrum light just so that it's lit up some during the day so I can see her (him?) better? Also, what's the best way to warm the area a few degrees? I keep my apartment around 72-73 degrees and from what I'm reading they do better if it's a bit warmer.

Thanks in advance for your help (& any other advice you can offer), I appreciate it!

~ Joey

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Lights are useless with tarantulas, if you want to see her, just put the enclosure on a light spot (not under the sunlight) or just grab a lamp.. :)

About the T°, 72/73 is just fine for a GBB, even if you keep them at this temperature, remember that they are quick grower.

About the setup, according to the T size, dry substrate with a full water dish, many anchor points (branches, cork bark...) and she'll be fine, putting a hide is kinda useless since she'll build her own with webs

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I'm thinking of keeping him in a aquarium with a screen top.
I wouldn't recommend the screen lid, your tarantula can get its feet caught and legs torn off. What you can do to avoid using the screen lid is get a piece of plexiglass from your local home improvement store and drill some ventilation holes in it.

For care, follow what Otteresting said.

They're a really wonderful species to keep:) Not to mention the sheer beauty they display through all stages of life. Just be aware that they're a fast and skittish species. Mine loves kicking hairs and has bolted across the enclosure in the blink of an eye.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
No light is necessary, they like darkness. Screen lids are a hazard because they can get their feet caught in them, so most people avoid them if at all possible. Those temps would be okay but if you want to heat it up more use a space heater in the room. The GBB is a visually stunning species that can be kept arboreally or terrestrially (which I prefer) however they're very fast and skittish so if you get one be careful.

Joey B

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for the helpful info! Well, she came today & I think I overestimated how big I thought she's be. They said 1-1.5". She looks smaller to me (but, this is my first one in years & I've never had one so tiny). Any suggestions on how often to feed them this young? I don't want her to grow too fast but at the same time I really would like her to get a little bigger, fast. I feel like I'm more likely to lose track of her if she's this little. haha Anyway, here's her setup. As soon as she was in I offered her a baby cricket & she snatched it right out of the forceps and went down under the little place I dug out for her under the wood for her lunch.

5.JPG 2.JPG

cold blood

Staff member
Any suggestions on how often to feed them this young?
Seems like you figured this out. Theyre good eaters...its as simple as dropping a cricket in.

I feel like I'm more likely to lose track of her if she's this little.
It will web that enclosure up pretty good...probably in short time....You will be able to see her tubes and such...they are out hunting often and you shouldn't have too much trouble locating it unless its hidden away in pre-molt, which is natural.

here's her setup
Remove that white thing over the water dish. Keep that area as clear as possible....having something over it will just cause it to quickly web over that dish. Otherwise, looks pretty good.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
1-1.5 inches is the diagonal legspan (thats how tarantulas are usually measured)- not the body. That's probably why you were expecting it to be a bit larger.
Edit: congrats by the way.