Something cool to fill up a 90 gal

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Raze,
Nice pics, but do you know of any dealers who have Bumblebee Dart frogs for sale? I have some Painted Mantellas, but I really want some Bumblebee Darts. Actually, if ANYONE knows of a dealer who sells them, please drop me a line.
By the way Deliverme, I would not recommend dart frogs as your first amphibs. they have a tendency to be difficult to raise. some are easier than others, but not as easy as say... White's Tree Frogs, or even Red-Eyed Tree Frogs. And be prepared for a croaking contest nightly if you keep more than one. I would recommend buying at least two since all of my frogs seem to enjoy their companions.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everything I've read about dart frogs suggests that you start out with a 10 gallon tank. The larger set ups seem to be harder to do..

I haven't set up a tank yet, I'm not sure I want to deal with feeding fruit flies every day.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ishkabibble said:
Raze,
Nice pics, but do you know of any dealers who have Bumblebee Dart frogs for sale? I have some Painted Mantellas, but I really want some Bumblebee Darts. Actually, if ANYONE knows of a dealer who sells them, please drop me a line.
By the way Deliverme, I would not recommend dart frogs as your first amphibs. they have a tendency to be difficult to raise. some are easier than others, but not as easy as say... White's Tree Frogs, or even Red-Eyed Tree Frogs. And be prepared for a croaking contest nightly if you keep more than one. I would recommend buying at least two since all of my frogs seem to enjoy their companions.
This place normally has them instock, not sure where you live but is a nice shop if you are a So. Cal. local. http://www.reptiledepot.com/

Greg

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Hey Mike,

Would you say a 90 is large enough for this? Do you have experience yourself in keeping these lil guys?
Deliverme, I am positive you can keep many in a 90 gallon tank with plenty of water and hides....there were many MANY frogs....and yes beware of the croaking contest.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Hey Mike,

Would you say a 90 is large enough for this? Do you have experience yourself in keeping these lil guys?
I've kept and bred a couple of Dendrobates. I think you would be better off working with one species in a 90g. It will give you a chance to hone your husbandry skills. These forgs are spectacular enough to be able to enjoy a planted 90g tank with just one particular species. I would suggest a group of Dendrobates auratus. They are easy to keep and breed (which is the most fun). There are also two or three color morphs. You could probably keep a lot of adult frogs in a 90g but I would start off slow with about five frogs.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1.You need to have access to pin head crickets and keep fruit fly or termite cultures.
2. a planted tank (depending on what the plants are) requires very good lighting
3.Learn as much as you can before you make a purchase. Talk to breeders who are willing to help you.

Hope this helps. Here's a link to a descent site <<click me>>

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Give me suggestions. I am probably freeing up one of my 90 gal fish tanks and am trying to think of something cool to throw in there... communal maybe... a pair of something mayhaps... or just a solitary decent sized animal... hit me with suggestions!

my initial thought was a pair of ackies... been thinking about those for a while...
Female Canetoad ,Male Bullfrog or an Electric Eel :D

Last edited:

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
I've kept and bred a couple of Dendrobates. I think you would be better off working with one species in a 90g. It will give you a chance to hone your husbandry skills. These forgs are spectacular enough to be able to enjoy a planted 90g tank with just one particular species. I would suggest a group of Dendrobates auratus. They are easy to keep and breed (which is the most fun). There are also two or three color morphs. You could probably keep a lot of adult frogs in a 90g but I would start off slow with about five frogs.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1.You need to have access to pin head crickets and keep fruit fly or termite cultures.
2. a planted tank (depending on what the plants are) requires very good lighting
3.Learn as much as you can before you make a purchase. Talk to breeders who are willing to help you.

Hope this helps. Here's a link to a descent site <<click me>>

Thanks

I keep planted FW aquariums which require high light and husbandry. I have done a lot of research on keeping terrariums and alot of the principles are the same... except alot less work. Little to no trimming and propogating, no expensive Co2 equip and monitors etc... Plus I have a good idea for the art of designing tanks so I think I could make a really beautiful one.

Right now my two questions that I have been unable to find lurking on dart boards or in care sheets are;
1- I have heard they poo alot and everywhere. I understand the tank must be cleaned quite regularly and the leaves of teh plants and everything. Can you describe how acurate this is in your experience and what you clean the plants with...
2-Their "croaks"... how loud and at what hours?

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Thanks

I keep planted FW aquariums which require high light and husbandry. I have done a lot of research on keeping terrariums and alot of the principles are the same... except alot less work. Little to no trimming and propogating, no expensive Co2 equip and monitors etc... Plus I have a good idea for the art of designing tanks so I think I could make a really beautiful one.

Right now my two questions that I have been unable to find lurking on dart boards or in care sheets are;
1- I have heard they poo alot and everywhere. I understand the tank must be cleaned quite regularly and the leaves of teh plants and everything. Can you describe how acurate this is in your experience and what you clean the plants with...
2-Their "croaks"... how loud and at what hours?
Okay, then you would be set with the lighting then.
1 To be honest with you the only feces I ever cleaned were the ones that were on the plants (or anything that went moldy). If you provide live moss and plants, their wastes breakdown on their own and are used by the plants. I also have used sow bugs in with the frogs. You basically never see them because they stay under the moss for the most part. They are excelent little garbage men. If you set the tank up right there is very little to do aside from water bowl changing, misting tanks, and cleaning the glass (which I do with white vineger). So as far as cleaning I would worry more about the water and anything molding. Some people may disagree with this. This is just what I have done. Also remember that you can never use any cleaning agents while the frogs are in the tank.

2 Their calls are not loud like a bullfrog. They are very audible "chirps". What the chirps sounds like depends on the species. It never bothered me. Kind of gave my room a jungle atmosphere. Adults crickets that I kept for other stuff were what drove me mad.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
Okay, then you would be set with the lighting then.
1 To be honest with you the only feces I ever cleaned were the ones that were on the plants (or anything that went moldy). If you provide live moss and plants, their wastes breakdown on their own and are used by the plants. I also have used sow bugs in with the frogs. You basically never see them because they stay under the moss for the most part. They are excelent little garbage men. If you set the tank up right there is very little to do aside from water bowl changing, misting tanks, and cleaning the glass (which I do with white vineger). So as far as cleaning I would worry more about the water and anything molding. Some people may disagree with this. This is just what I have done. Also remember that you can never use any cleaning agents while the frogs are in the tank.

2 Their calls are not loud like a bullfrog. They are very audible "chirps". What the chirps sounds like depends on the species. It never bothered me. Kind of gave my room a jungle atmosphere. Adults crickets that I kept for other stuff were what drove me mad.

Do you think 260 watts is to much for the tank? And that was my assumption (about the plants breaking it all down) but my buddy read a book on mantellas and said that they need to be cleaned daily or every other day at the least and every plant needs to have its leaves cleaned.
So white vinegar doesnt bother the frogs skin?

Let me tell you a little bit about my intended set up (see if I can describe it.)

On the right side I will be making a small aquarium. About two feet at the front angling back to about a foot in the back of the tank. Then extending along the side of the tank. It will be about ten to twelve inches high and it will house a few cardinal tetras and some shrimp. (caridina jarponica and neocaridina Deniculata). There will be drift wood with anubias nana attached and some java moss. There will be a pump taking water out and up the back and back down into the pond. Then there will be a low lying body of water right beside the large pond planted with Marsilea quadrifolia and will have some extending planted driftwood and rocks for the frogs to get onto. This will be about a foot in front and then two feet in the back meeting the pond walls. then there will be about a square foot of land at the left end draining down into the low lying water area. And a trickle water system cascading down the back into this portion of the tank...

The top of the tank will be planted... with this set up (alot of water) I imagine that water bowls are unneccesary, correct? And waht species would thrive in such conditions?

Given that the frogs are diurnal... is that when they chirp? I cant sleep if there is any sound in the room... any.

Last edited:

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Do you think 260 watts is to much for the tank? And that was my assumption (about the plants breaking it all down) but my buddy read a book on mantellas and said that they need to be cleaned daily or every other day at the least and every plant needs to have its leaves cleaned.
So white vinegar doesnt bother the frogs skin?

Let me tell you a little bit about my intended set up (see if I can describe it.)

On the right side I will be making a small aquarium. About two feet at the front angling back to about a foot in the back of the tank. Then extending along the side of the tank. It will be about ten to twelve inches high and it will house a few cardinal tetras and some shrimp. (caridina jarponica and neocaridina Deniculata). There will be drift wood with anubias nana attached and some java moss. There will be a pump taking water out and up the back and back down into the pond. Then there will be a low lying body of water right beside the large pond planted with Marsilea quadrifolia and will have some extending planted driftwood and rocks for the frogs to get onto. This will be about a foot in front and then two feet in the back meeting the pond walls. then there will be about a square foot of land at the left end draining down into the low lying water area. And a trickle water system cascading down the back into this portion of the tank...

The top of the tank will be planted... with this set up (alot of water) I imagine that water bowls are unneccesary, correct? And waht species would thrive in such conditions?

Given that the frogs are diurnal... is that when they chirp? I cant sleep if there is any sound in the room... any.
260w flourescent? The frogs will need as much land area as possible. They are terrestrial. The type of set up you described may work. I prefer to keep less of a water enviornment in my set ups. They require less work. The frogs only call in the daytime BTW. Here's a site with some nice set ups <<click me>>

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i have a 100gallon tank in my livingroom with two bearded dragons, there half log, a small vine and a long vine/driftwood, waterdish and catbowl (for pellets and giant mealworms and veggies).
they have room to roam. (they still look kinda small and they are ~10 months old, i wonder if they are the smaller kind ..rankin?)

dianne