Something cool to fill up a 90 gal

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Give me suggestions. I am probably freeing up one of my 90 gal fish tanks and am trying to think of something cool to throw in there... communal maybe... a pair of something mayhaps... or just a solitary decent sized animal... hit me with suggestions!

my initial thought was a pair of ackies... been thinking about those for a while...

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
other things I have kicked around the ol noggin are a pair of Elaphne Taeniura or set up a nice terrarium and do a group of dart frogs (I have read that some species are quite communal where others arent...)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I'd suggest perch! They are communal, smart, voratious feeders, spikey. They are common in most northerly lakes in Europe so I wonder if they are common in the US too...

Perch anyway, that's my vote ;)

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would suggest a Couple of Pirahnas or some Oscars. how about a Nile Monitor

Last edited:

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK, if it's a vertical tank then how about half a dozen tropical freshwater puffer fish for the middle water and shrimp or crabs for the floor level. That's a combo I'm always planning on setting up and never get round to. I've kept these in other combinations and they are very hardy.

(Warning: whatever fish you put in with crabs must be mid/top water species, since crabs will grab and kill anything on or near the tank floor)

How about a lobster or an octopus in a marine setup? I'd love either of these.

Leaving fish and moving on to mammals, how about a Pygmy African Hedgehog? We have one in a big viv in our lounge and it's the cutest animal in the known world. Good pet, solitary (unlike rabbits and guineapigs) and SO CUTE!

Big, rocky, sandy landscape tank of scorpions? You could get loads in a nicely arranged 90Gl tank.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Give me suggestions. I am probably freeing up one of my 90 gal fish tanks and am trying to think of something cool to throw in there...

Kahluha and Capt Morgans.

or

A 90 gallon bannana split.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
MilkmanWes said:

or

best suggestion ever!

non-fish folks... I should have mentioned. The reason why I am considering dumping one of my fish tanks is because I am getting a little sick of caring for all these large tanks.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MilkmanWes said:

or

Lol! :D :D

I'd definitely go for ackies. i've been wanting to get some for a long time, but they are still very expensive in the UK. I'm sure you have already read this, but if you haven't, this might encourage you to get some.

Cheers,

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
danread said:
Lol! :D :D

I'd definitely go for ackies. i've been wanting to get some for a long time, but they are still very expensive in the UK. I'm sure you have already read this, but if you haven't, this might encourage you to get some.

Cheers,
Indeed I have and I really want some... but guven that I have VERY limited space I need to make sure that I get the best possible animal(s) for the tank....

I like the idea of the other stuff I mentioned and want ideas for others...

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A nile monitor would hardly be a good idea, it wouldn't be long before 90 gallons aren't enough.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
keeping with the lizard theme, you could get a small colony of rankins dragons. They would be great as you could have multiple individuals in a tank that size. A large colony of leopard geckos might also be pretty interesting, or even better, a colony of collared lizards. Collareds are by far the most entertaining lizards i have owned, and 5 or 6 in a well setup tank that big would be awsome. Day geckos would also be good, although i have no personal experience with them.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lycanthrope said:
A nile monitor would hardly be a good idea, it wouldn't be long before 90 gallons aren't enough.
I agree. i don't really think niles make good pets for anyone unless you are a serious fanatic. You need a lot of time and money to be able to deal with one of these and give it the care they need. I find it so sad that these are often for sale in petshops in the UK. I really wouldnt be sad to see them go on the DWA list.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lycanthrope said:

Yeah... I didnt assume they would fit. They get what, 6 feet or so? Are there any other good 'pet" monitors that could live happily in a 90? (4 feet in length by two feet high and I think 18 inches wide) By pet I mean that they have a decent disposition...

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How about a Gila monster? Or poison dart frogs sound good. I went to a show at the museum here and they had a whole section on poison frogs. The dart frogs were in a huge (maybe 200-300 gallon) tank. They were so cute, and in every color. I have pictures if you guys wanna see em let me know. :eek:

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
How about a Gila monster? Or poison dart frogs sound good. I went to a show at the museum here and they had a whole section on poison frogs. The dart frogs were in a huge (maybe 200-300 gallon) tank. They were so cute, and in every color. I have pictures if you guys wanna see em let me know. :eek:
Yeah, please do. So this was a big colony with multiple species? I have heard this is frowned upon... I guess it doesnt matter if you arent going to sell the hybrid offspring and you have species that can get along all right.

For those with experience; How many could I fit comfortably in a 90?

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Yeah, please do. So this was a big colony with multiple species? I have heard this is frowned upon... I guess it doesnt matter if you arent going to sell the hybrid offspring and you have species that can get along all right.

For those with experience; How many could I fit comfortably in a 90?
Hey the dart frogs were all together in huge grassy tanks. They had cool other poisonous frogs. Here's a few dart frogs first:

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics Raze. Those are from AMNH right? If they are, then thoseare the set ups provided by Clyde Peeling (great guy) from Reptiland. The bronx zoo has similar exhibits with multiple species of Dendrobates. The only problem with keeping different Dendrobates together is that they are very territorial. Even in the large 300g exhibit at the zoo the D.azureus always kept the D.leucomelas from staying near the bottom of the exhibit. When the leucomelas came down, the azureus would sit on them (submission tactic). Interbreeding is not a problem. Multiple species enclosures can be done but they have to be large.
Mike

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes they are from American Museum of Natural History. The set-ups were awesome and Truely amazing.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
Nice pics Raze. Those are from AMNH right? If they are, then thoseare the set ups provided by Clyde Peeling (great guy) from Reptiland. The bronx zoo has similar exhibits with multiple species of Dendrobates. The only problem with keeping different Dendrobates together is that they are very territorial. Even in the large 300g exhibit at the zoo the D.azureus always kept the D.leucomelas from staying near the bottom of the exhibit. When the leucomelas came down, the azureus would sit on them (submission tactic). Interbreeding is not a problem. Multiple species enclosures can be done but they have to be large.
Mike
Hey Mike,

Would you say a 90 is large enough for this? Do you have experience yourself in keeping these lil guys?