Some Slithering Friends

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Only have the one green male, but he's been one of the easiest snakes I've had. Great attitude and never once musked or struck. (And of course I know now he will tomorrow. Lol). I am looking to get him a female companion soon, so I will be expecting the "typical" attitude with her and go from there when the time comes. So far, the worst attitude I encountered has been the female burm. She would tag me multiple times when I first got her - took a few weeks and now she's good. Hissy, but what burm isn't?
the nastiest snake I've ever dealt with was a Yellow conda. got nailed 10x a day for 6 months with that one. and all I managed to do was get it to only strike 4 or 5x a day instead of 10x lol

Akai

Arachnobaron
I have to ask. What does it feel like when burms and retics bite you? I'm only asking because posters in this thread mention being tagged 5-10X a day which is insane to me unless its not that bad or you simply get use to it. Of course size matters of the snake but the ones in these pictured. Would you liken it to a cat biting you because cats can bite hard and I certainly couldn't get use to that. lol

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I have to ask. What does it feel like when burms and retics bite you? I'm only asking because posters in this thread mention being tagged 5-10X a day which is insane to me unless its not that bad or you simply get use to it. Of course size matters of the snake but the ones in these pictured. Would you liken it to a cat biting you because cats can bite hard and I certainly couldn't get use to that. lol
2 flavors. A 'hello, I bite!' which is more like a chomp. That chomp can break the spine of a small rodent. And the 'I love you forever' bulldog version where you have to find the end of the tail and twiddle or shake it to get it to let go. Their mouth is soft but than bony ridge is darned sharp. The third version will probably never be encountered where a hefty 15 footer or greater does the chomp. That one requires someone coming to help because it takes so much force to get free you can break their jaws if you can get a good grip to pull their mouth open and you will be a bloody mess with shredded fingers. I had that once. Pants leg looked like someone had taken a razor and randomly slashed it.

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice collection! I've always liked the Dumerils, seem like a nice big mellow snake.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
2 flavors. A 'hello, I bite!' which is more like a chomp. That chomp can break the spine of a small rodent. And the 'I love you forever' bulldog version where you have to find the end of the tail and twiddle or shake it to get it to let go. Their mouth is soft but than bony ridge is darned sharp. The third version will probably never be encountered where a hefty 15 footer or greater does the chomp. That one requires someone coming to help because it takes so much force to get free you can break their jaws if you can get a good grip to pull their mouth open and you will be a bloody mess with shredded fingers. I had that once. Pants leg looked like someone had taken a razor and randomly slashed it.
My Dumeril's game me the bulldog bite due to a SFE on my part - she nailed and started to wrap before realizing my hand wasn't the rat. The above was from my 5'-6' male Burm when something spooked him. He reached around and nipped me. Every other bite has been from smaller snakes. When my snakes hit double digits in length, someone will be around in case of a bite.

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 12:35 PM ----------

Nice collection! I've always liked the Dumerils, seem like a nice big mellow snake.
From what i have heard, they are, and my big girl fits the mold. She is a wonderful pet.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
On Instagram, I have seen a mid size retic bite the other day. It looked like someone slashed the guys hand open. Didn't look like fun.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I searched and couldn't find it. Anybody have a macro shot of a python's 'teeth'; bony ridge? It was once described to me as a skinning machine, opening up the victim so it digests more quickly. The more the victim struggles, the messier things get.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I searched and couldn't find it. Anybody have a macro shot of a python's 'teeth'; bony ridge? It was once described to me as a skinning machine, opening up the victim so it digests more quickly. The more the victim struggles, the messier things get.
My understanding is the ripping and slashing is primarily for defense and courtship battles, as opposed to feeding. Retics especially have mouths designed for combat - and this is why I am working on calming my male Sumatran so he stops wanting to eat my face before he has the size to do so.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Some updated pics.

New female green. She's around 8'.

Afrock

bateater

Sumatran female

Sanana male. Really one of my favorites. Love his colors and pattern. And he's calming down very nicely.

Kayuadis
Female

male

Last edited: