Some New Water Snake Pics

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got in a few new Water Snakes this week, five Bandeds(Nerodia fasciata fasciata) and two BIG female Red-Bellies(Nerodia erythrogaster), which have been "entertaining" my male and giving him something besides eating to think about, lol.

Here is one of the female Red-Bellies, a really sweet girl who has a nice burgandy hue to her.

She also has what might possibly be the longest tongue I've ever seen on a snake...I don't know how it fits in her mouth!

The other female is even bigger, and has an odd greenish hue and a much-lighter belly, almost like a N. flavagaster, but she's not as calm and will take a bit more work before I can photograph her and hold her at the same time. She's the only adult Water Snake of any species that has actually bitten me, though in the two days I've had her, she's calmed down a lot and will actually sit on my lap if I don't move too fast.

Here is one of the male Bandeds, a melanistic specimen that is nearly jet-black, with no dorsal pattern visible in regular light.

Here is a little Hypo male:

A nice little normal male Banded:

The Bandeds are absolutely sweet; not one has tried to bite or musk or even head-flatten at me. You'd probably have to dress yourself in silver scales and cover yourself with fish grease to get one of these snakes to bite! They were all caught this week, so these aren't long-term captives that are used to people. That's just the typical Banded temperament.

By the way, the scratches/bites on my arm are from a big male CORN Snake that I caught yesterday at school. He is the bitey-est, nastiest snake I believe I've ever seen; I can't even count how many times he's nailed me since I caught him! He's also one of the biggest Corns I've ever seen and caused quite a stir when he showed up at the end of the sixth grade hall yesterday morning right as we were getting ready to begin that day's state-mandated standardized testing! Even the big female Red-Bellied Water Snake is a pussycat compared to this thing. He doesn't strike; he just hauls off and starts chewing and twisting his teeth into flesh and has to be pried off like a bad dog...so much for "most-docile species for beginners", lol.

EDIT: Added a few more pics, including the big odd-colored female Red-Belly. She really looks more like a Yellow-Belly, but we're not supposed to have those in SC; maybe she's a "Pastel" or something.

Notice how much lighter her belly color is than the other female's, more yellow, and how she's got a lot of green along her sides. Yes, she also has scarring around her left eye; that's not a retained eyecap but apparently an old injury, which might account for why she is so much more "jumpy" around people. She has really calmed down a LOT, though, and only did a minimal amount of head-flattening when I picked her up this evening, but no mouth-gaping or striking or musking at all.

And yeah, I know it's not a Water Snake, but I came across a couple of these little guys, and thought I'd post a couple of pics because they're so cute: Southern Ringnecks, Diadophis punctatus-

And here's the Corn I caught at school yesterday in a rare moment when he was NOT biting me, lol! I swear an Amazon Tree Boa has NOTHING on this thing!

pitbulllady

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow those are cool. I've only kept the Broad-banded, they are easy to keep. I wonder how water snakes got so blown off by the hobby? I know most musk and strike a lot but you can find some just as calm if you mess with them enough and get used to it.

Spiderkeeper61

Arachnopeon
snakes

Nice pics. I really like the water snakes too, just don't own one yet. Maybe some day when I get some more room..lol

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow those are cool. I've only kept the Broad-banded, they are easy to keep. I wonder how water snakes got so blown off by the hobby? I know most musk and strike a lot but you can find some just as calm if you mess with them enough and get used to it.
In my experience, Water Snakes are nowhere near as bad about musking and striking as Corns, Rats, or their little Garter cousins. Rat Snakes are the absolute worst about the musking, and well, this latest Corn I caught puts the very bitiest Water Snake to shame! Water Snakes tame down much faster than most other wild-caught snakes, even those with reputations for being docile, like Kings or Corns. That big female Red-Belly(or Yellow-Belly, since she's not even really orange underneath)that nailed me when first caught is now so tame that I can let her crawl up on my shoulders and around my fave, and she was only one of two adult Water Snakes to ever bite me; the other was one of the Bandeds who was having a really bad shed and which had apparently gotten a case of "hibernation blister disease" which often affects hibernating Water Snakes during a wet winter. I had to help him shed last night and this involved pulling the old skin off along with many deep scabs, which was no doubt very painful, but there's no way he would have shed on his own. He also had a retained eye cap, and while I was working it loose, he grabbed one of my knuckles and held on. It wasn't so much a defensive strike, as it was like a person biting down on something while undergoing some painful procedure. He hasn't tried to bite before or since. They are just really mellow snakes, at least until feeding time.

pitbulllady

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
I love the Nerodia genus! :) I'm thinking about doing my grad research on them!

Some absolute beauties you have there! I've never seen a Red-Bellied in person though! Would love to!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My cornsnake is very well behaved... I wonder why you have issues with them. I can understand the male being aggressive for being wild caught but other than that all the cornsnakes I worked with are very tame as well.

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome snakes! I love nerodia, but it's not legal to have native animals in NY. I've checked out a few places, but they never seem to have any for sale that aren't native.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My cornsnake is very well behaved... I wonder why you have issues with them. I can understand the male being aggressive for being wild caught but other than that all the cornsnakes I worked with are very tame as well.
How many Corn Snakes have you owned? I've probably had more Corns and Black Rats than most people will ever see in their entire lives, too many to even keep up with. I've had wild-caught Corns that never even so much as "s-ed up" in a defensive posture, and captive-breds that would never pass up an opportunity to bite from the moment they hatched. I've learned not to generalize too much on snake personalities. One thing about "bitey" Corns is that they tend to stay that way, unlike most snakes which quickly figure out that you're not going to hurt them and soon stop the defensive biting. Corns also tend to be "sneak-biters", in other words, they will be sitting there, draped calmly across your arm, and just haul off and start chewing on your out of the blue, and this is the only species I've dealt with that does that other than sexual behavior or prey-stimulated behavior(word to the wise: don't pick up a Chain King after being musked by another snake). I've currently got 7 Corns, all wild-caught, ranging in age/size from a pair of yearling siblings to the big male I just caught at school. Of those seven, two are biters. I've had one of those for over three years, and he might be fine 2 out of 3 times being handled, then the third time he'll just start chewing. One of the two yearlings occasionally strikes, but this is more like a typical startled-defensive strike. The other youngster probably could not be made to bite! One is very laid-back, the other nervous and alert, even though they are clutch-mates and nearly identical, and I've had them both since finding a clutch in the process of hatching inside a haybale. I've tried to handle both equally.

With Water Snakes, bites are either entirely defensive and soon stop once the snake realizes you aren't going to eat it, or they are feeding responses. Water Snakes have a feeding response like a Retic; they "go crazy" upon smelling food and start biting at everything, especially anything shiny and metallic, but they will even bite themselves sometimes! Of all the wild snakes I've dealt with, they tame down the quickest, IF they ever acted scared in the first place. I've caught many a Banded by just picking it up and the snake hardly reacted to me at all, anymore than my Boas do.

And, Elleken, you will almost certainly have to order a Water Snake online and have it shipped, IF it's legal to ship non-native snakes to NY. Sorry to say it but that state has some awful laws when it comes to non-cat, non-dog animals. Glades Herp carries many Florida species, including captive-bred hypomelanistic Bandeds, which are about the gentlest snakes you can have. There is also a breeder, Shannon Culp, located in PA. Most Water Snakes available for sale are going to be wild-caught, though, since so few people are working with these. Your best bet will be to check the classifieds regularily on Kingsnake.com, if you are allowed to have non-native species(and the only Nerodia in NY is N. sipedon).

pitbulllady

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Right now is the time I can easily catch some bandeds, practically guaranteed. I just can't seem to get motivated.

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm fairly certain non natives are allowed. I mean I don't live in NYC and they have way more laws than here. I'm also not a big fan of wildcaught (to each their own) so that makes getting one that much harder. Some day I will find a source of captive bred non native nerodia haha.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pittbullady, I think you and I are both "hypos". I will explode/vaporize if I don't put on sunscreen, I am the sunscreeninja!:)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pittbullady, I think you and I are both "hypos". I will explode/vaporize if I don't put on sunscreen, I am the sunscreeninja!:)
Yep, I'm definitely a hypo myself, lol! Never thought of it that way, but genetically, it DOES make sense! Next time one of my students asks me why I'm so light-skinned, and why I have all those red freckles and red hair, that sounds like a good explanation to give 'em!

pitbulllady