some breeding trials

Vincent

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just made some breeding tests to see which species I can try to breed. Basicly I just put them together and watch how they react to each other. I tried the following species:

Scolopendra spinosissima - went very well and decided to put them together for a few days
Scolopendra subspinipes "Cherry Red" - went very well and will try to breed them next week
Scolopendra heros heros - went well but 1 is to small in my opinion and will try again when it's a bit larger
Theatops sp. - went well but same story as heros heros
Scolopocryptops sp. - went very well and will try to breed them later this week. They had an interesting 'mating dance'. They started by touching (kissing) their heads and after that they slowly smelled/touched the entire underside of the other one. the process took about 5 minutes and was very interesting to see.

Of course some pics of the species I will try to breed :D

Scolopendra spinosissima

Scolopendra subspinipes "Cherry Red"

Scolopocryptops sp

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love those pictures. I'd be grateful if you'd keep us up to date with this project.

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it possible to keep two centipedes of the same size and species but opposite gender in the same cage? Have centipedes ever been known to pair up? How do they tell the gender of the other centipede?

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
324r350 said:
Is it possible to keep two centipedes of the same size and species but opposite gender in the same cage? Have centipedes ever been known to pair up? How do they tell the gender of the other centipede?
does anyone purport to be an expert on centipede breeding?