Solifugid laid

Algae

Arachnopeon
This evening one of my pregnant solifugids laid her eggs. I had her in a 7" by 4" plastic container 4" high with 2.5" of damp sand. The plastic container did not have holes, only slits to hold moisture. I removed the female to another container with similar substrate because I have heard the reports of mothers eating eggs. She laid her eggs in a pre-dug hole about.5" deep and 1" long covered by a piece of wood slightly larger. Diet of one cricket a day, one mealworm and no cricket two days before laying, no food before laying. I did not feed her the day before laying; she was so large I feared she would explode. Do they usually die after laying? Pictures soon.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
mothers eating eggs. She laid her eggs in a pre-dug hole about.5" deep and 1" long covered by a piece of wood slightly larger. Diet of one cricket a day
that is probably the most exact description of mine {D good on removing the female just to be safe. no, mine don't die after laying eggs... keep us updated. and check out some info from punzo's book on incubation etc. :D

Algae

Arachnopeon
Punzo's book sounds good, so I'll look into it. It looks like the mother may have another batch of eggs- she's fattening again. The other female has laid 2-3 eggs around the sides of her container, and refused food yesterday, but she is not nearly as big as the other female as before laying.

Algae

Arachnopeon
Wow! $270! What an expensive book! Could anyone who owns it tell me what it says on incubation?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Wow! $270! What an expensive book! Could anyone who owns it tell me what it says on incubation?
270, really?? well, there's a great part on the whole cycle, including eggs on i think venomlist, very recent topic. if you can't find it, i'll look for it when i get home after work.

Algae

Arachnopeon
Hm... Registered on venomlist, did some searches.. No luck, and I'm concerned as to what to do with the eggs. For now I'll leave them where they were deposited until I know what to do.

Algae

Arachnopeon
So does he mean a paper towel just sitting in the open, no container?

Algae

Arachnopeon
Stupid question. I just put the eggs on a moist paper towel in a 7x7 inch container. There are 110-120 eggs. One is small and brown-dead. Four are the same size as the others but are clear rather than creamy. Are these too unfertilized but haven't darkened?

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:D You should definatley hook it up when they get a bit bigger :D

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats. And same here, I would like to buy one or two.
I had a Paragaleodes Pallidus 'Egyptian Fuzzy Solifugid' that died 3rd week I had it for unknown reasons. So I want to give it another shot.

thanks

Algae

Arachnopeon
I caught them in New Mexico, so these aren't the monsters of the Mid East that devour sleeping soldiers {D They are a different variety than I've caught before in NM, and they're a little smaller. They get 2 inches long max.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea I hear ya, I have never seen a giant one f/s in the US but I havent been in the hobby a very long time either. Id be willing to pay good money even if it only got an inch lol:liar:

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jason from arachnoporium sells Galeodes sp. 'Egyptian Giant Solifugid' 2"-7".
I also got my Paragaleodes sp. 'Egyptian Fuzzy Solifugid' from him.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Algae.

This is quite interesting. I've got about 30 eggs incubating(I went for simply local soil kept just ever so slightly moist). A few got moldy when the humidity got too high and those ones burst upon being transferred. The others so far look ok *knock on wood*

I also caught 2 more in an area 2 hrs from home where they were quite abundant(observed over several days numerous individuals around the camp restrooms, inc. males, gravid females, immatures, and babies not much bigger than an ant). Neither of these have fed for me, but one is a gravid female and is developing eggs.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Neither of these have fed for me, but one is a gravid female and is developing eggs.
i used to have problems feeding the smaller ones, but i tried something new recently. fruit flies. mine grabbed 5 in quick succession and stuffed them all into it's mouth, prob would of grabbed more if they were available!! {D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip! The one I caught in Nevada city ate up everything...mealworms, lobster roach nymphs, etc. They are supposed to feed mainly on termites but the ones running around the bathroom lights always had some little thing clutched in their mouths.:p