Solfugid?

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey i was wondering if any one might know a online dealer that sells Solfugids/Camel spiders?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
none really...ken he bug guy hd them for sale for a few weeks...the main problem with them is..they dontlive longer than a few months in captivity(for unknown reasons) and also 90% of the time die in transit...so even if you did find one...it would most likely be dead on arrival.

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dam, hey thanks for the info i guess i can scratch that one off the list lol.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah no problem man...the saddest thing is...the best book wrote on these things is like 400 dollar us. and the guy who rote the book acually has kept them alive the longest...g to the true spiders section and look at the stickies...there alot of good info on them.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Elytra and Antenna just put out a new book that includes care info. for captive windscorpions. I read it and found it very useful.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I occationally find "wind scorpions" locally. They only measure about an inch, inch and a half tops. They are impressivly aggressive little bastards. They not only rear up, but will actually charge when provoked. They usually don't live long when captured. I accidently killed the last one by leaving it in the fridge too long (oops). I was trying to slow it down some to take pictures, and over estimated the time.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i thought the problem was that they hibernate, not that they have short lifespans :?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i thought the problem was that they hibernate, not that they have short lifespans :?
i've actually gotten them to "hibernate" over winter, although it was still slightly active at times. they do have short lifespans, but not as short a people think. overfeeding and a lack of cool period contribute to this.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
captive

none really...ken he bug guy hd them for sale for a few weeks...the main problem with them is..they dontlive longer than a few months in captivity(for unknown reasons) and also 90% of the time die in transit...so even if you did find one...it would most likely be dead on arrival.
Actually they can live a while in captivity just fine with a few modifications to a cage. The problem is they are not super long lived animals. The ones that usually come in are already old adults and thats why they don't tend to live long. I know someone that raised them from babies and had the mother for a while. I also have some babies I am working on myself right now and the mother was alive for a few months before she expired from old age most likely. I also have 1 smaller one that I am keeping cause it has some white stuff on it but its been alive a for a little while now.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well from my readings...they dont last long due to A. unknow factors. and so far only guy i knowof who succesfully reared young to adults was in asia(korea) i belive and he had them for 1 year. then they died.

they mn who wrote the book "biology of a solifuge" t my knowledge kept one for 2 years. he said that he had to tinker with soil ph. perfect winter/hibernating temps and he also go to say that he belive this is one species that needs to run and stay moving. over feeding is the number one contribution to early death. as these things have very fast metabolisms..but yet can eat very much...my buddy in the military(stationed in abu garade) caught one that was almost 5.5 inches...he has had it for close to 6 months. he said that last onme died in a week. id really love to have one or 2 just to try my luck at. but i hae yet to find one.(supposidly we have them here in missouri too...along with arkansas.)

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well from my readings...they dont last long due to A. unknow factors. and so far only guy i knowof who succesfully reared young to adults was in asia(korea) i belive and he had them for 1 year. then they died.

they mn who wrote the book "biology of a solifuge" t my knowledge kept one for 2 years. he said that he had to tinker with soil ph. perfect winter/hibernating temps and he also go to say that he belive this is one species that needs to run and stay moving. over feeding is the number one contribution to early death. as these things have very fast metabolisms..but yet can eat very much...my buddy in the military(stationed in abu garade) caught one that was almost 5.5 inches...he has had it for close to 6 months. he said that last onme died in a week. id really love to have one or 2 just to try my luck at. but i hae yet to find one.(supposidly we have them here in missouri too...along with arkansas.)
Yah I am not positive but I think 2 years is about thier max life...could be wrong about that but I know they are not long lived from birth to death. It is probably because of that high metabolism. Mantis are a perfect example. you get 9 to 12 months. 16 max if you slow them down but that is really hard to do.

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its a shame the are so dam cool, supose to have them in eastern washington next time am ove there am going out at night with a flash light and finding me one.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
finding them

its a shame the are so dam cool, supose to have them in eastern washington next time am ove there am going out at night with a flash light and finding me one.

well its hard to find them with just a flash light but they are attracted to light. We had a camp fire and they just kept running up to our fire with us in the desert.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
"word on the street" says they're unusually common in SE Wa and esp. where ID, WA & OR meet.

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well , i might have seen one am not 100% we were at the gorge, camping out, playing in the sand covering are bare feet, i picked up my cell phone and my gf noticed somthing on my cousins leg, i grabed my phone and shined it on his leg every one, jumped up and started screaming as i ran around trying to find it and capture it in a empty cig pack, needless to say i couldent find it once he jumped up and ran 100 yard into the darkness. Somthing that came as a shock to me was all the scorpions i was finding in the bathrooms, never realized we had them up here in WA, but then again eastern WA is totaly diff.

TheAssyrian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These rank among my favorite arachnids but yes never ever purchased one not even one because of the difficulties of keeping em and their seasonal longevity. Love to watch the videos on youtube.

Solifugids have the worlds most awesome chelicerae, miniature twin pairs of jaws of life (death)!

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These rank among my favorite arachnids but yes never ever purchased one not even one because of the difficulties of keeping em and their seasonal longevity. Love to watch the videos on youtube.

Solifugids have the worlds most awesome chelicerae, miniature twin pairs of jaws of life (death)!
Ya forsure, i love the saw/pinching action, basicly just turn everything inside out and eat the good stuff.