Soil in water!!

MrsT

Arachnopeon
My B. albopilosum is getting big lumps of soil and carring it to his water bowl and dropping it in there, I have never seen him do this before, why would he fill his water bowl in particular? could it be he is just making a burrow or is there a reason for it? He has already made his burrow, so I just found it odd..

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not unusual, I don't know the exact reason they do this, my L.Parahybana will dump its excavated material straight into its water dish night after night after night, this was while he/she was building its burrow and since the burrow is finished it hasn't done it since. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just another one of those wonderfully funny/strange characteristics that T's sometimes show us.

Maybe someone knows why they do it??? would be very interesting to know the real reason, do they know something we don't know? duh duh duh :eek:

MrsT

Arachnopeon
No I wasnt worried in fact its really amazing to watch, I have had him a while now and he has never done it before, now he has a water dish full of soil lol.

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's fun to watch mine do it but maddening cos he/she needs a water supply and I used to have to clean it out and fill it daily just for it to do it again, probably having a right laugh at me the little.... (insert muttley laughing here) ;P

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Water dish saga...

Some of my Grammastola's and Brachy's do this too. Irritating at first but comical thereafter. I have no idea why they do this. Perhaps it is because they are bored and need something do. :D

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
There are similar things they can do: Dump food remains in the water dish, that happens to me often and to others too, as well as pooing into or arround the water dish, especially onto the glass next to it. This too hapens to many people incl. me.

I am wondering if they see the water dish as their bin?! I could imagine that if they'd do that in the wild for example by using a stream or creek or anything else with flowing water they'd get rid of any traces that they live there. That would even apply if they dumped anything into a little pond or other puddle like body of water (or the ocean for that matter, size is not important).

I could imagine that that can be a way of throwing larger preditors off their track. Large rodents which can eat T's might otherwise get attracted to the smell of any insect remains, or poo. But I wouldn't be able to fit in the dirt dumping habit into that same theory... :? Maybe could small artificial mounds become interesting to certain animals, but that is only a wild thought.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my geniculata did it many time, big ball of substrate and dropped it in the water bowl, just funny I remove it every time

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My N. colora does that all the time and I'm starting to get p-oed.Thats it,the lil bastard can go thirsty for all I care!
j/k,seems I have to clean the water dish every other dang day.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
just a theory i came up while reading this thread becasue i have notcied some of my T's doing this as well....but what if the T's did this to help control the humidity say if it was to high for them so they put the clumps of dirt into the dish to soak up some of the water to bring the humidity down :confused:

knottyduke

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B. albopilosum does this too, but right now she is burrowed in and we havent seen her in a couple of weeks!!!

Just one of those things!!!

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
my A Seemanni and my P Murinus both do that. At first I would fight to keep them cleaned out but I slowly let them do it. My final reasoning was that they probably don't have fresh R/O water in the wild. I do break down and clean it out every so often.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since they also poo and dump their remains in it, I don't think it's a humidity issue. I think they're just movving the substrate around, and since it's a small, enclosed space, they get it in their bowls. Mine spin webs near and around theirs- which sometimes wicks out the water- but I just think this is an accident, as I have a humidifier in the room and they don't need the extra humidity. (that's just MO, though)

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a smithi that fills his water bowl once a day. It is a pain cleaning it.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wouldn't complain too much about this situation. It's probably using the water for a garbage dump...so you've got clean Ts there... and that's a good thing ;) It's alot easier to clean the water dish than completely cleaning and changing the substrate more often due to excessive rotten 'garbage' everywhere :eek:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T's are taking care of em :) little funny thing I love 'em soo much :p :p

MrsT

Arachnopeon
Apocalypstick said:
I wouldn't complain too much about this situation. It's probably using the water for a garbage dump...so you've got clean Ts there... and that's a good thing ;) It's alot easier to clean the water dish than completely cleaning and changing the substrate more often due to excessive rotten 'garbage' everywhere :eek:
I think you might have a point there, I see white stuff at the bottom of his bowl too, he's obiously using it as a garbage dump.

bonesmama said:
I think they're just movving the substrate around, and since it's a small, enclosed space, they get it in their bowls. Mine spin webs near and around theirs- which sometimes wicks out the water- but I just think this is an accident(that's just MO, though)
he was specifically getting lumps of soil from all over and taking to his water bowl, and filled it till it was full :) It definately wasnt accidental..

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
Since they also poo and dump their remains in it, I don't think it's a humidity issue. I think they're just movving the substrate around, and since it's a small, enclosed space, they get it in their bowls. Mine spin webs near and around theirs- which sometimes wicks out the water- but I just think this is an accident, as I have a humidifier in the room and they don't need the extra humidity. (that's just MO, though)
i never said it was a humidity issue for a fact just a thought to put a different spin on things. and yes they are just moving the substrate around. who actually knows why they do this...nobody.