soil for H. lividum

Black Dave

Arachnopeon
Hi all, does anyone know if I can use vermiculite as a soil for an adoult cobalt blue? 10x

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You *can,* but I really recommend something that is a little more sturdy, such as peat moss, to allow it to make a strong burrow. I personally use 50/50 peat moss / vermaculite in most of my tanks with success.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you can use some peat and mix in some soil or black earth...

Regards, Mike

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I guess it will work

Mine has pure peat moss about 5" deep. They quickly dig themselves out of
sight, reinforcing the walls with silk as they go. After that you might have
to get up at 3:00 am if you want to see it.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
white sand + vermiculite + earth you will have a brighter substrate.
1/3 of each.

odinn7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mexican8s said:
Mine has pure peat moss about 5" deep. They quickly dig themselves out of
sight, reinforcing the walls with silk as they go. After that you might have
to get up at 3:00 am if you want to see it.
I agree with that. Mine has made a wonderful hole and it's all re-inforced with webbing. It's a wonderful hole that I get to look at all the time. I don't even know what she looks like anymore.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
odinn7 said:
I agree with that. Mine has made a wonderful hole and it's all re-inforced with webbing. It's a wonderful hole that I get to look at all the time. I don't even know what she looks like anymore.
:p I was just beginning to wonder whether I was reading sarcasm after that second sentence, haha.

Pre-burrowing a burrow (against a side of the tank) is always a good idea, even if it doesn't always work. Provided you keep the terrarium rather dark, they won't web it to total opaqueness in most cases.

As for the question at hand: Chances are the lividum would think it rather iffy to construct burrows in dry 100% vermiculite, which moves around as soon as they move. If you make it damp though, it would be a little easer, and perhaps you could even pre-create a burrow that it would use that way.

Meribre

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!
I'm using 3/4 potting soil plus 1/4 sand as suggested by Volker von Wirth / Martin Huber. As H. lividum lives in deep holes in nature, I keep them in tall containers where they have sufficient space downwards.

Cheers - Mario.

joe8421

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i make the soil of my H.lividum this way
20/100 white sand and 80/100 peat well mixed to make my subs brighter

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use 100% peat moss in all my tanks with success. My cobalt made a very nice burrow out of the peat moss.

-Matty