Social Media Woes

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
So I use social media a lot (as expected) and I see people posting images of their spiders, commonly handling or trying to look all cool. Naturally I ask around, and get the typical "Oh my chilean rose loves me, she's really calm and trained blah blah blah" Then, I run into someone with OW species and a wider variety. BOOM using common names. I try to ask why the use common names, and they reply "oh its just easier for me" and Then I get into an argument, and long story short, they go into the typical "Oh your opinion doesn't matter" BS and that I'm just some stuckup know-it all. I don't understand why people are so... stupid sometimes. I mean, I try to help, and they just give me the bird. Anyone else have problems like this? I've tried to be kind with these people, and it works sometimes, but there's one person (whom I won't disclose obviously) who acts like they know everything, and I'm just some stuckup fool, and <edit> They just make my blood boil! Apologies for rant, I've been under a lot of stress, and these people I just want to punch, I needed to rant and cool off. Share your stories if you have any.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryuti

Arachnopeon
I admin a page on facebook (Spidder) and commonly have to use common names because my friend who runs it gets mad when i don't include both common and scientific names.

Just last week or so I found a Xysticus sp. and posted a picture of it, and he messaged me and edited the post to include "crab spider"

I also ended a friendship with someone because when I was first getting into a hobby I was asking for a name for my new G. pulchripes and she commented "name it disgusting, because that's what it is" and we got into a huge fight over it and yeah..

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I can understand the annoyance or worry over the animal on stuff like handling, but sadly it's up to the individual to either use good practice or not. Research helps and yes sometimes trying to educate new people to the hobby (like me) helps when the caretaker is actually open minded, but people will be People. I don't understand the aggression when someone politely tells me I'm doing something wrong, but that's all on the individuals personality. As far as which name they're using, you gotta give a little leniency for newer people, or people that just aren't into the hobby enough to remember how to spell it. ( Not saying that let's someone off on doing proper care research, just the name). then there's the association factor. Curly hair is much easier to remember and associate than Brachypelma albopilosum. Especially for newer people.

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
I don't know a single person in the hobby. On any social media or in person... I feel like I'm on a deserted island when I look for someone to talk to about it even. If I post something about T's on Facebook I just get a bunch of random girls mentioning their friends in a comment just so they can see it and go "eww its huge and gross!" or "hell no! squish it!" I've tried getting several friends into it but sadly they're just talk. Its like there isn't a single person in this god forsaken town who is in the hobby... And my fiancé gets mad when I use scientific names, even though common names are far more vague and confusing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, I guess it depends on your outlook. IMO common names, if you spider has feelings, or if you name your spiders are all silly things to just randomly argue with people over. The last two, regardless of your feelings on the matter, doesn't affect someone's ability to care for their pet. Common Names only bug me when someone is asking specific questions about a T that could be multiple species. Then only when they are asking for care or they are asking breeding questions. As magicmed pointed out it is a lot easier to remember common names in most cases. I myself often grab a tag(which has both names in most cases) off the enclosure when I need to type out some of the names for spelling etc. I do learn all my Ts scientific names (and common names). But honestly, if they are taking care of the T properly, I really don't care if they call the T a Brachypelma albopilosum or a Curly Hair.

Don't stress out too much man, that's how you get old. :D

AllyInvert

Arachnopeon
I don't know a single person in the hobby. On any social media or in person... I feel like I'm on a deserted island when I look for someone to talk to about it even. If I post something about T's on Facebook I just get a bunch of random girls mentioning their friends in a comment just so they can see it and go "eww its huge and gross!" or "hell no! squish it!" I've tried getting several friends into it but sadly they're just talk. Its like there isn't a single person in this god forsaken town who is in the hobby... And my fiancé gets mad when I use scientific names, even though common names are far more vague and confusing.
That's exactly the way it is with me too!

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Just search "Tarantulas USA" or something like that and there should be a bunch of tarantula groups to join. I searched "Tarantulas UK" and found a couple groups that I joined (usually have to wait to be accepted), then usually there's a "similar to..." thing suggesting other groups which I then joined. It's a great way to see/communicate with others in the hobby in your country as well as learn about many more people to buy tarantulas from. :)

In terms of seeing people doing silly things and such, usually I try not to get involved unless it's serious - such as handling "my calm cute OBT". I try to take on a positive tone, but from what I've seen/experienced it'll end with people giving you "attitude" and going about their own business. However, every now and then you do get someone who's willing to listen. Being able to change one person's mind is worth it and a lot of people will read your comments so it's always good to make people aware of things. Especially on ocassions someone is handling a highly potent tarantula or allowing 10 crickets to live in the tarantula's enclsoure.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Pick your battles. People using common names is the least of our worries as a hobby. Yes, for people who know the scientific names by heart, it can be confusing and frustrating. I, for example, never bothered with the common names so when people ask after their Ornamental Red White Birdeating Treespider I'm like "Your what?!". This is especially annoying when they're using a common name the petshop made up to sell, because it makes just Googling for the scientific name next to impossible and for the new owner, that's all the info they have. But it's not that big of a deal at the end of the day. You can ask for clarification. If they get defensive, then walk away. Clearly, they don't want help that badly.

And the handling people, just educate educate educate. Don't argue with them, don't preach at them about how it makes them an awful person. A lot of people get into the hobby thinking it is a part of this particular pet's ownership; some are even under the impression that it's necessary. And no one wants to be told what they're doing with their pet is wrong or worse, dangerous to the animal; because most people do not have malice in mind when they handle, so in their mind, you've accused them of animal abuse and how could you, because they are obviously not that kind of person. When you go on the attack, you're just making them defensive. Minds close this way. Be kind, be patient and just provide as much factual information as you can. They are plenty of instances of tarantulas being harmed from a fall that you can find on here. Show them that. And remember this: a lot of these same people who come into the hobby pro-handling, end up very much anti-handling. So there is hope.

Edit: Forgot to address the noob OW owners. This is a particular peeve and concern of mine as well. But from my own experiences, nothing you can say or do is going to convince them that their testosterone kick of the week is above their level, in fact, telling them that just feeds their need to own it. Best to leave it alone. Unless it's on here, because if they're here, they're generally here to learn (though not always, some are just looking for validation and praise for having "the balls" to own such a "dangerous" animal) .

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
@Envoirment I joined a few groups on Facebook, and the ATS but the thing that sucks is that there isn't anyone remotely near me that is in the hobby. I even starting a page for my state and I've only had one person ask to join (who was from the UK.) I guess Texans are so used to Aphonopelma species running around that keeping them is weirs or boring..

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire
@Envoirment I joined a few groups on Facebook, and the ATS but the thing that sucks is that there isn't anyone remotely near me that is in the hobby. I even starting a page for my state and I've only had one person ask to join (who was from the UK.) I guess Texans are so used to Aphonopelma species running around that keeping them is weirs or boring..

saturnthegrey

Arachnosquire

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anyone else have problems like this?
Tox my man, I hate to tell you, but this will ALWAYS be the case. You are better off taking your knowledge and imparting it onto those that are impressionable at a younger age than yourself.

OR, don't even bother. This country is full of stupid people, and always will be. Just look at who is the Republican nominee, a racist among other negative things. That should tell you something about the quality of this country's intelligence and what it thinks is important.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The online communities are such a game changer for the hobby , if you think it's hard to find others in the hobby now, try it in the early 90's omg hopeless! All you can do with people who react with fear or revulsion is try to educate them. Fear is rooted in ignorance generally.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, i love the way how social media/s jumped in the boot (Italia) life of today and knocked down, in those recent years, the last remnant of intelligence, culture, common sense etc

Especially how much hard those "hit" the people on their 40 to 60. They tought to been "immune" years ago. Bad mistake.

Those are under that "social" stuff more than their progeny in comparison. Amazing. Sublime. Not even heroin during late '60 "hippy time" managed to did that much. And not over yet, hurraaaah :-s

louise f

Arachnoangel
Don't stress out too much man, that's how you get old. :D
Yeah, but he will soon enough find out.:happy: When you first reached 30 years, you understand how fast time flies and soon you`ll end up on a elder home :D
Ohh man i am 35 i dont know where all the years went. :eek::eek::D Time is running too fast, so enjoy every second you got of it. :) Be happy, positive and relax, that is my way of living.

louise f

Arachnoangel
And this is exactly why i dont use facebook and never will. There is to much hate in there, people are not nice to each other at all.
My son use that (excuse me):angelic: Crap, he comes daily to tell me stories about that person did this and that person did that.
I asked him many times why just why do you even bother to use time on such crap. Your life is much more valuable than use time on that crap.
Hope he will get some common sense someday. :)