So... Would you do it?

alpine

Arachnosquire
I've seen that on two or three television shows before.

I have no desire to eat tarantulas, bugs, etc. when there are plenty of other things to eat. I'm not averse to eating them if necessary in a survival situation though. Hell, I'd eat humans in a survival situation if absolutely necessary.
Nice to have someone admit it :) I can safely say that if all else failed, I would agree.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Okay, so this post had me prodding youtube. I found this. Don't know if anyone has seen it but know this, it is absolutely IMO disgusting! Realize that once you watch it, you can not unsee it. It will sit in your mind forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31-zJSn2DLQ

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
If you've ever killed and eaten your own food this really isn't so bad. I eat crab frequently during the season and it is a nasty, smelly mess...until you pull it out of the pot and dip it in melted butter. Even the larger tarantulas seem like an inefficient meal, though. I'd rather eat a short lived scavenger like crayfish, although I wouldn't mind trying a tarantula for the novelty.

It's funny how only a couple of generations ago our grandparents ate everything. Now you have to go to an overpriced gastro pub to eat the "delicacies" that we used to eat because they were cheaply available via the butcher or because you lived on a farm and everything was fair game. My granny used to prepare cow tongue and organ meats as a Sunday dinner "treat". Cute bunnies went from pen to pot to table in a couple of hours. I recall scraping the marrow out of the bone. Yum. A lot of people turn their nose up at a lot of this stuff but won't think twice about dining on an undercooked egg or chowing on a big lump of fat on a prime rib. Crazy humans(vespers & I will be hosting a long pig feast one of these days;)

One thing I think I will never eat again, okay two things...salmon roe & uni(sea urchin gonads).

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I would eat it. Anybody know what bugs, not just Ts taste like? I kinda want to try them, I like exotic food

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen that on two or three television shows before.

I have no desire to eat tarantulas, bugs, etc. when there are plenty of other things to eat. I'm not averse to eating them if necessary in a survival situation though. Hell, I'd eat humans in a survival situation if absolutely necessary.
Remind me to never get lost in a desert with you lol

alpine

Arachnosquire
Yeah I would eat it. Anybody know what bugs, not just Ts taste like? I kinda want to try them, I like exotic food
I have heard that some grasshoppers have a nutty flavor rather than bitter and that in some cases they really just take on the flavor of what they are cooked in

taraction

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard that some grasshoppers have a nutty flavor rather than bitter and that in some cases they really just take on the flavor of what they are cooked in
very true. it totally depends on the oil you cook them in. otherwise they are just crunchy and slightly grassy.

i've also had grubs before...doused in pepper. without spices (i asked for a batch fried plain) they are bland and slightly mealy, like fried tofu.

bee pupae are savory and slightly nutty. when grilled they taste both familiar yet alien, like little radioactive quail eggs.

cicadas are chewy and generally not very good. my grandfather used to dig them up, soak them in brine (to get the exoskeleton off), then deep fry them. the end result was usually a chewy little mess.

grilled starfish is just...strange. gritty little yellow globs (i imagine it was the roe) that are slightly stinky, like grape-nuts cereal left to soak in seafood broth that's gone bad.

centipedes though...no. just...just no. i've munched on some kind of scolopendra in china and regret it deeply. extremely, EXTREMELY bitter flavor. and those pointy legs are NO JOKE. they harden when cooked, like wicked little needles, and will cause you pain when you try to nibble on them. eating a centipede is like eating burnt shrimpy potato chips that repeatedly stab you in the mouth. long story short: don't eat centipedes.

Last edited:

KJMinniti

Arachnopeon
I've had Wichety grubs in the Australian outback during a visit there. I couldn't bring myself to eat the raw, living ones, but the campfire-baked grub tasted like reconstituted powdered eggs. Not bad, just not very tasty. Dad fried us up a bunch of honeybee larva, and they are, indeed nutty. Dad overcooked a couple that got dried out, but even then I liked the crunch.

My big hang-up is eating live animals or anything that has venom. I had assumed that the venom would affect flavor and that it was possible that not all toxins would be denatured by cooking. Reading through this thread, I noticed several remarks that venomous insects tasted bitter, which supports my theory - so I won't be trying tarantula any time soon.

And yes, I also have difficulty eating something that I have kept as a pet. I'm pretty sure I would make a lousy farmer or butcher. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, and am well aware what I am eating used to look and act like, but it wasn't MY pet.

alpine

Arachnosquire
I've had Wichety grubs in the Australian outback during a visit there. I couldn't bring myself to eat the raw, living ones, but the campfire-baked grub tasted like reconstituted powdered eggs. Not bad, just not very tasty. Dad fried us up a bunch of honeybee larva, and they are, indeed nutty. Dad overcooked a couple that got dried out, but even then I liked the crunch.

And yes, I also have difficulty eating something that I have kept as a pet. I'm pretty sure I would make a lousy farmer or butcher. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, and am well aware what I am eating used to look and act like, but it wasn't MY pet.
I can safely agree with you on the point of pets. But what I am talking about rather than you cooking your own pets is leaving your tarantulas at home, going to another country and eating a tarantula that isn't your pet :) Or for that matter other animals that you may or may not have has pets, since you say tarantula will not be on the menu.

It tends to be with me (I'm sure this isn't everyone) I prefer to know where my food comes from. If that means watching it get prepared to eat then that's fine too. Take that example of the chickens that I mentioned earlier, me and my younger brother went to pick them up and we held them on the way home. We started liking them, they were soft and kinda cute... We still ate them and as I said it was awesome chicken as they were naturally raised rather than fattened and full of chemicals. I cleaned it inside and out, got everything edible together and cooked it later that night. On one side I felt bad because they were such cute little things, on the other it was a pretty darn good meal. End of that story had me feeling a little bad that we killed them, while still had me enjoying a chicken dinner with my boyfriend

Katerina

Arachnopeon
When I was in the 3rd grade, I went on a class field trip to our local bug museum. I eaten dried flavored cheese AND bbq mealworms. As for eating dead T's... Maybe if its for ALOT of money like being on fearfactor or some sort then I'll do it >:] for sure. I'm not sure if I'll do it if the T's alive though.. Kind of crazy to think about ..

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd love to get my hands on an extra large plate of some greasy fried ts. Unfortunately, I'll probably never be in a place where that will be economically feasable.

taraction

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they're dirty cheap in vietnam and cambodia. i had them in china, but they were insanely expensive (about $12 for a grilled tarantula on a stick). the seller claims it's because they import them from vietnam and therefore costs more, but i think he was just lying to me because i acted like an american tourist.

centipedes were pretty cheap, but that's probably because they taste horrible.

alpine

Arachnosquire
I wonder if you can find them on the menu in any eateries in america? Lol

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I've been wanting to pick up jellyfish from the Asian market here but I'm not sure what to do with it lol. Looks like it'd be really bland and the consistency of fat on a steak but I like bland. . .

alpine

Arachnosquire
I've been wanting to pick up jellyfish from the Asian market here but I'm not sure what to do with it lol. Looks like it'd be really bland and the consistency of fat on a steak but I like bland. . .
I'd try it haha! Look around online I know that the areas without stingers are prepared in a soup. You might be able to find a soup that you could toss it in :) haha

taraction

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
jelly taste of nothing except for maybe a hint of brine, like strings of crunchy jelly. best when washed, drained, then cold mixed with some vinegar, soy sauce, green onions, and maybe garlic. coming from a chinese family i've eaten my share of jellyfish.

all this talk about eating bugs is making me want to go out and get a mcrib.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had jellyfish from a nice authentic cantonese restaurant. It was like eating rubberbands in sauce. At least the sauce was good.