So, there's a house spider that's made a web in my p. metallica enclosure.

Subdolus

Arachnopeon
I'd noticed web strands on the leaves of the big live plant in there, but thought maybe the p. metallica was doing it as she's not yet so big that she can't climb on the leaves.

When misting today I knocked what looks like a triangulate cobweb spider loose from a leaf and saw it crawl back up. It's hanging out upside down from the screen right now.

The two spiders don't seem to get close to each other so I'm curious as to whether there's any harm in letting the house spider continue to live in the plant leaves?

Subdolus

Arachnopeon
A 5" tarantula vs a pinkie nail sized house spider. If anything the house spider might end up a snack.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Personally, I'd remove the Steatoda if possible. Imagine if it lays a sac and then you have a bigger clean up to do. Better to just evict it in my opinion.

Subdolus

Arachnopeon
Oh ew, yeah that'd be a not fun situation. It's too cold to put it outside, but I suppose I could take it to the basement.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A 5" tarantula vs a pinkie nail sized house spider. If anything the house spider might end up a snack.
Ah right. I was confused when you said about the P. met and the leaves. I have seen Steatoda maul prey much bigger. But if your P. met is that size then I wouldnt worry.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
While the spider will not be a direct threat to your tarantula, it will compete for food. Steatoda sp. are very fast at grabbing crickets. Also, as was mentioned, they will eventually create egg sacs - and next thing you know, you've got an entire swarm of baby spiders (and their webs) overwhelming your tanks.

I have an ongoing problem with both S. triangulosa and S. grossa in my bug and reptile room. I don't much mind free-range spiders roaming around the room, since they are pretty good at cleaning up escaped feeders and random flies or other bugs, but I really hate it when they get into my tanks. They put up quite a bit of webbing, which my tarantulas and other pets don't seem to like and will usually try to avoid. I've seen the Steatoda sp. take over entire hides or cork bark slabs. Just today, I wondered why my burrowing scorpion had abandoned its burrow and had been hanging out on the opposite side of the tank for the past few days. I lifted up the bark, and sure enough - it was a mess of webbing and bits of attached substrate and dead cricket husks and egg sacs, necessitating a clean-out. I've also had problems with the freeloading spiders picking off baby whipspiders, mantises, geckos, or other small critters.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
When it comes to arachnids, it can be generally said that communal setups fail.

Remove the house spider, place it outside within a dense foliage (tree/bush/whatever), and call it a day.

Mikew9788

Arachnopeon
I'd noticed web strands on the leaves of the big live plant in there, but thought maybe the p. metallica was doing it as she's not yet so big that she can't climb on the leaves.

When misting today I knocked what looks like a triangulate cobweb spider loose from a leaf and saw it crawl back up. It's hanging out upside down from the screen right now.

The two spiders don't seem to get close to each other so I'm curious as to whether there's any harm in letting the house spider continue to live in the plant leaves?
That's one crazy little spider.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
No direct physical harm to your T but its better to get it out just due to the egg problem.