So I Want A Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens

MrP

Arachnopeon
Do you use a specific brand of substrate or do you make your own?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Do you use a specific brand of substrate or do you make your own?
Substrate is a manner of personal preference. Coco fiber is a very common option, as is plain top soil. Some people use peat, or mix it in (to hold moisture I believe).
The most important thing to keep in mind is it needs to be additive free. Also, wood chips are a no-no for several reasons. Gravel and sand are also no-no's.

The spiders you're interested in (Gbb and C. versicolor, right?) Do well with dry sub, and aren't likely to burrow, so you would be fine with plain ol' top soil or coco fiber. As long as it's additive free, you're good. I use zoo med because it's what's available.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Substrate is a manner of personal preference. Coco fiber is a very common option, as is plain top soil. Some people use peat, or mix it in (to hold moisture I believe).
The most important thing to keep in mind is it needs to be additive free. Also, wood chips are a no-no for several reasons. Gravel and sand are also no-no's.

The spiders you're interested in (Gbb and C. versicolor, right?) Do well with dry sub, and aren't likely to burrow, so you would be fine with plain ol' top soil or coco fiber. As long as it's additive free, you're good. I use zoo med because it's what's available.
Just out of interest, how come sand is a no no? I'm sure I've read about people mixing small amounts with coco fibre. Just inquisitive. Thanks

Sinned

Arachnosquire
From what I read/heard, it shifts around to much when T's walk across it. They don't like that at all. You will probably end up with a T sticking on the walls / sitting on top of its hide if available.

Mixing some into the substrate will make water spread more easily to the lower levels. Some peeps mix vermiculite into it so that it holds moisture longer. Not stuff a (juvinele+) GBB is concerned with. They like it bone dry. Still, mine has access to a water dish but I don't think she even once went close to it.