Snake reccomendations

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright, so I have the whole tarantula thing down, and the monitor thing down, now I'm looking to get into a snake or two. I'm thinking about a jungle carpet python, since arboreal snakes are pretty damn awesome, and these aren't too expensive. I've done my reading on these and have until Novemeber to do so on any other snake. Which is why I'm posting this, which snake would you recommend to me that doesn't isn't too expensive. I've had a few snakes in the past, so care isn't a big deal.

Thanks ahead of time,
Paul

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What do you like in a snake, though? Something that's (probably) handleable, or something with attitude, or something with lots of color, etc? What *I* would recommend based on my personal tastes might not even be close to what you're looking for. :)

Also how expensive is too expensive?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Expensive would be over $350-400. Also, right now I'm just looking for any suggestions, but my only personal preference is for it to be handleable. I have tarantulas for display pets, sometimes hands on.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm gonna mention one I've always wanted, then - the rubber boa! :D They're tiny (live on pinkies), adorable, apparently VERY handleable, and the only snake I've ever heard of that shows no signs of stress or other problems when housed communally. They can also be kept at fairly cool/room temps compared to other snakes, which may or may not be a plus depending on your setups.

The only problem is freaking finding them. :(

There's also CB ball pythons if you haven't had one yet, I love mine.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those actually look like neat snakes, but may I add another thing I want that I forgot to mention before..:wall: I want a snake with some size, anywhere between 8-11 ft.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want size, look no further than a columbian red-tail boa. I personally dislike them, but I don't like snakes where I'd have to have a friend help me hold it...or feed it anything larger than a rat. Also, coastal carpet pythons get pretty big, and if you like carpets, there you go! These can be relatively cheap, or very expensive...many color morphs have been done with these guys and they are awesome! My personal favorites of the carpets are the Irian Jayas...but, they are also the smallest. :p However, I think you need to be aware that jungles really are not that arboreal. They like space and love to explore. Though they love to climb and sit in branches, they spend much of their time on the floor of their cage and do not curl branches like a green tree python would. Recommended caging for any carpet is a 40 gallon or bigger...preferable bigger...much bigger. Coastals typically demand at least a 125 gallon, and will more than likely outgrow it.

If you like arboreals, and big size, look into the scrub python. They are considered the LARGEST arboreal snake in the world. I really don't know much about them, but they are pretty cool looking snakes. (again, I wouldn't want to have to feed rabbits).

My personal opinion would be to look into green tree pythons: any locale will typically top out at 6', and being strictly arboreal, caging can be smaller - saving you some space, and are wonderful display animals! All of mine are readily handleable, though I wouldn't handle them at night..that is when they "hunt". You can get them for $200-350 as youngters, so you may or may not have to work with them as much to get them used to handling. In my opinion, no snake is nearly as pretty as a Green Tree Python! Scientific name: Morelia viridis. However, it is usually best if you do have some snake experience before getting one of these, as they are a little more on the experience level...but they can be good first snakes, as long as you do your research and are familiar with their needs.

Oh, I also forgut about bull snakes and pine snakes. Both are very popular and get rather large. Look into these as well. I'm not totally familiar with them, but I've had some friends that breed them and they are pretty nice. Just some more ideas for you. :)

Let us know if you narrow your searching down any more.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would second the Columbian red tail boa, we have had one for about a month now and we simply adore her!!!!
She is beautiful, big, gentle, active but not hyper, inquisitive but not crazy, and just a complete joy.
Just my own opinion.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you want size, look no further than a columbian red-tail boa. I personally dislike them, but I don't like snakes where I'd have to have a friend help me hold it...or feed it anything larger than a rat. Also, coastal carpet pythons get pretty big, and if you like carpets, there you go! These can be relatively cheap, or very expensive...many color morphs have been done with these guys and they are awesome! My personal favorites of the carpets are the Irian Jayas...but, they are also the smallest. :p However, I think you need to be aware that jungles really are not that arboreal. They like space and love to explore. Though they love to climb and sit in branches, they spend much of their time on the floor of their cage and do not curl branches like a green tree python would. Recommended caging for any carpet is a 40 gallon or bigger...preferable bigger...much bigger. Coastals typically demand at least a 125 gallon, and will more than likely outgrow it.

If you like arboreals, and big size, look into the scrub python. They are considered the LARGEST arboreal snake in the world. I really don't know much about them, but they are pretty cool looking snakes. (again, I wouldn't want to have to feed rabbits).

My personal opinion would be to look into green tree pythons: any locale will typically top out at 6', and being strictly arboreal, caging can be smaller - saving you some space, and are wonderful display animals! All of mine are readily handleable, though I wouldn't handle them at night..that is when they "hunt". You can get them for $200-350 as youngters, so you may or may not have to work with them as much to get them used to handling. In my opinion, no snake is nearly as pretty as a Green Tree Python! Scientific name: Morelia viridis. However, it is usually best if you do have some snake experience before getting one of these, as they are a little more on the experience level...but they can be good first snakes, as long as you do your research and are familiar with their needs.

Oh, I also forgut about bull snakes and pine snakes. Both are very popular and get rather large. Look into these as well. I'm not totally familiar with them, but I've had some friends that breed them and they are pretty nice. Just some more ideas for you. :)

Let us know if you narrow your searching down any more.

Red tail boas are awesome, and do get to a good size, but my friend just picked one up not 3 days ago, and well I don't want to have the same thing, having different animals, even amongst friends, I think is better.

So far I'm really wanting the jungle carpet python, but I don't want a dull colored one. I want one with great contrasting colors, and I'm having trouble finding one. As for the Green Tree Python, I absolutely love that snake, but I'll pass because of it's experience level. I'm sure I'll get one later on in my life, but right now I don't want anything 2 experienced only because I have 2 big lizards.

Bull and Pine snakes are awesome, but I'd prefer a python or boa.

I can't remember how big rainbow boas get, but those are great too. :)
This would be a good snake as well, abosolutely gorgeous and nice. One of my old friends has one. I'll look into this one if I can't find a good looking carpet python.

Any other recommendations?

Cjacques

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would really recommend looking into the Brazilian Rainbow boa. Beautiful semi arboreal and if you get it young, and keep it handled they are real sweeties not that they are aggressive if you dont do the above. Also as a note handling arboreal snakes is a little differant then other snakes. If you give them support and let them do their thing they tend to be very relaxed. I keep EBTs and even though everyone says they are mean I have yet to run into a ill tempered one. This includes snakes i have handled at shows.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would really recommend looking into the Brazilian Rainbow boa. Beautiful semi arboreal and if you get it young, and keep it handled they are real sweeties not that they are aggressive if you dont do the above. Also as a note handling arboreal snakes is a little differant then other snakes. If you give them support and let them do their thing they tend to be very relaxed. I keep EBTs and even though everyone says they are mean I have yet to run into a ill tempered one. This includes snakes i have handled at shows.
What size do they get too? I am finding no consistant answer. Any GOOD caresheets or information you can point me to. Of course tips and hints from people's experiences would be even better.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome! So far it's between a Jungle Carpet Python or a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. Any other ideas?

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well..a nice carpet python can go from 150 to 250. I love them, they are awsome snake. Pretty, active and get pretty good size. Whats better then a snake hanging on the branch instead of sitting on the floor looking like a slug. But if i were you, paying 250 for a snake, i would get a GTP. They are the best looking snake IMO, and The one i have is sooooooooo pretty.

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i love carpet pythons.. they are withoubt a doubt my favorit species of snake to work with. ive had quite a few of them over the years and actually bred irian jayas last year. right now i have a bredli (centrillian) and i absolutly love this species. here are a few pics i shot of him.

and the babys i hatched last year.

you can find some great carpet information and breeders at this forum
www.moreliapythons.com ... its the arachnoboards for austrailian pythons.

sylverbullit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can't remember how big rainbow boas get, but those are great too. :)
Brazilian rainbow boas get to be about 6-8 feet depending on male or female, and about 20 inches thick. My breader has a female that is 8 feet long and 23 inches in diameter. They are beautiful snakes. I'm waiting to move out so I can get mine

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brazilian rainbow boas get to be about 6-8 feet depending on male or female, and about 20 inches thick. My breader has a female that is 8 feet long and 23 inches in diameter. They are beautiful snakes. I'm waiting to move out so I can get mine
I didn't know they get that fat, can you provide some information and or pictures?

ok... i get exited when people want to get into carpet pythons so im doing a little shoping for you.. mostly out of bordom.. (i love days off)

this is a killer looking way resonable priced 06 female irian jaya.. smoking contrast.

http://www.moreliapythons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19321
Awesome looking snake! I may actually buy it, but I would prefer to have a jungle carpet python with contrasting yellow and black.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Theres no way that Rainbow Boas get 20"+ thick....thats approaching Burmese dimensions.