Snake pics

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Had an afternoon with nothing to do so I thought I'd take a few more pics of my Corn snake and Royal python. Enjoy!

Freshly shed yesterday!

Sorry the pics are large, they wren't as dramatic when re-sized!

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice Corn Snake

Could be a twin to mine. He sits in a 40g tank just to the left of the computer. Sticks his head out once in awhile in hopes it is feeding time.

My corn does all his exploring at night. Is yours active during the day?

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My corn is amazing! He is ALWAYS active. If I tap the glass he comes poking out to see what i'm offering. If I open the cage door, he will actually come out to me! I would say he is almost as tame and as domesticated as a common cat!!! :D

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pass - allthough i suspect something from Madagascar here
Pass
Beautiful molossus!
Porthidium?
D. viridis - very nice!
Are they yours?

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lelle,
I have to get you out here to see some Huachuca molossus, you will never think of them the same way. Here are a few of my shots! although non are from the huachucas and non of these pics are all that great.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brandon said:
Lelle,
I have to get you out here to see some Huachuca molossus, you will never think of them the same way. Here are a few of my shots! although non are from the huachucas and non of these pics are all that great.
Brandon,

In August we are there! Hopefully we stumble across a few of those beauties then! And perhaps a few willardi too...remember the swedish luck ;)

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Swedish luck, how could i forget it! Last time i had a crazy buch of sweeds out here i found more things than i knew what to do with!!

-Brandon-

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brandon said:
Swedish luck, how could i forget it! Last time i had a crazy buch of sweeds out here i found more things than i knew what to do with!!

-Brandon-
Next time, 2 Swedes and 1 Canadian. :D
(and lots of Red Bull.)

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Matthew,

1. Rhynchophis boulengeri, Vietnam (Langaha madagascariensis is similar ;) )
2. Maybe some nice hondurensis
3. Dunno
4. Dunno
5. Maybe a mamba as mentioned previously..;)

You have a pretty collection. Congrats!

Last edited:

Matthew

ArachnoTexan
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus
Crazy women....
Click here
Story behind that...(from the net the only info I could find)

Grace Olive Wiley nee Gough - 1884 - 1948
died of an Indian Cobra bite on July 20th 1948. Grace graduated from college after studying at the University of Kansas in 1922. She is credited with the first captive propagation of Rattlesnakes in the US. She worked for the Minneapolis Public Library's museum, the Brookfield Zoo (in Chicago), and as a reptile consultant on Hollywood films. At the time of her death, she had a snake display near Cypress California (near Long Beach).On July 20, 1948 Grace Wiley had invited a writer/photographer named Daniel Mannix along with his wife to photograph her collection. Grace removed her eyeglasses, which she wore for nearsightedness, for the photoshoot. Mannix requested a pose of a cobra with a spread hood. Grace explained that her King Cobras were too tame to do a "spread hood" display. She had just received some "Indian Cobras from Siam. One of them has markings that form a complete "G" on the back of his hood." The snake refused to hood and Grace teased it but it still wouldn't hood although it did hiss angrily. The snake seized and chewed her middle finger. She calmly and gently forced its jaws open and replaced it in its cage. She had no antivenom. The photographer applied a handkerchief tourniquet to her wrist and injected some strychnine from a 20 year old snake-bite kit. She was placed in an Iron Lung and provided stimulants at a Long Beach hospital but her heart stopped 90 minutes after the bite All of this information is paraphrased from Christie Miller's feature about the life of Grace Wiley in the March/April 1997 edition of Reptile & Amphibian magazine.

Grace Wylie believed in "taming" and freehandling all her snakes and she was quite good at it. She was well known for her "tame" King Cobras which Hollywood used on several occasions. She free handled with impunity for decades before the Law Of Averages caught up with her. She had been bitten by a "Black Diamondback Rattlesnake" (direct quote there...not sure what it really was), a Timber Rattlesnake and lost two fingers to a Komodo Dragon. Another quote (follow this one closely!):
"Before tackling cobras, she had tamed more than 300 other venomous serpents: rattlesnakes, water moccasins, coral snakes, Fer-de-lance, kraits, mambas, Ringhals, and copperheads."
Can you imagine freehandling some of these? Not pin and grab. Not tube. Reach in and calmly pick up like a kingsnake!

Last edited:

Matthew

ArachnoTexan
Old Timer
Oh on my pictures.

Rhynchophis boulengeri
'05 honduren hatchlings - nice extreem hypo in there
C. molossus (Blacktail from Sanderson Canyon area West Texas)
Porthidium dunni
D. viridis (Green Mamba)