Smoking in the Ts room....

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am in no way trying to justify it. And I am aware it raises your risks. All I am saying is that I think its become the reason for everything with many people and it isnt many times. And I do think genetics plays a very important roll in your health.
It is a very dirty stinky habit and it does hurt your health. But I have known alot of people that were health freaks that ended up with all kinds of stuff wrong with them and I have seen alot that smoked , drank and ate what ever they want and grow old and healthy. Some people are just more prone to getting sick. But I am not saying that if you smoke you are not going to be more prone to the same things.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very good point. We all smoke outside no matter how cold it gets. I will stand out there in a coat, ablanket wraped around me and freeze to have that smoke. It is pathetic. I even wear a jacket that I dont wear elsewhere cause it stinks so bad. And I dont want to offend but anyone that smokes around their kids or in the car with them should be charged.
The bad part is I have tried many times to quit and cant. I do try to think of others when in public but I have to say if I am outdoors setting 20 feet from some one I have a hard time beleiving its going to harm them.
jr47 you can stop at anytime. Is the addiction strong...yes. I used to consume acoholic beverage in large quanities. For two years straight (with the exception of going out to sea...I was in the US Navy) I dranked a PINT of 'hard" liquor a day. I don't remember even waking up before 2 PM unless I had to go to work. I decided one day to stop. I used to set up target dates or drink less and I would repeat the heavy drinking all over again. One day I said FORGET IT and just stopped. I did not have friends or family encouraging me. Actually I had them saying I was going to "get back" to the habit in a matter of days, weeks, you get the picture. Well 11/95 was the last time I drunk anything with alcohol in it. Same thing with smoking I tried for 6 months and 'dipping" and I just didn't get it. I cannot back up my opinion 100% but nicotine is used in pesticides and I can only imagine it will do more harm than good.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use to drink and do drugs. I have always had a strong will and was able to stop but when it comes to that I have tried and tried hard. I get so sick I cant function and freak out bad. I get violent, cant sleep. I know it sounds dumb and alot of it is probably in my head but I have got to the point where I freak out just thinking about it. I really dont understand where the fear comes from but its there and I have tried over and over. I would do anything to stop, I really would.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am in no way trying to justify it. And I am aware it raises your risks. All I am saying is that I think its become the reason for everything with many people and it isnt many times. And I do think genetics plays a very important roll in your health.
It is a very dirty stinky habit and it does hurt your health. But I have known alot of people that were health freaks that ended up with all kinds of stuff wrong with them and I have seen alot that smoked , drank and ate what ever they want and grow old and healthy. Some people are just more prone to getting sick. But I am not saying that if you smoke you are not going to be more prone to the same things.
Top 10 causes of death in the US during 2005. Smoking, poor diet, and excessive drinking are contributing causal factors to most of these.

• Heart disease: 652,091
  • Cancer: 559,312
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 143,579
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 130,933
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 117,809
  • Diabetes: 75,119
  • Alzheimer's disease: 71,599
  • Influenza/Pneumonia: 63,001
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 43,901
  • Septicemia: 34,136

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use to drink and do drugs. I have always had a strong will and was able to stop but when it comes to that I have tried and tried hard. I get so sick I cant function and freak out bad. I get violent, cant sleep. I know it sounds dumb and alot of it is probably in my head but I have got to the point where I freak out just thinking about it. I really dont understand where the fear comes from but its there and I have tried over and over. I would do anything to stop, I really would.
It is called withdrawals. Most former smokers turn to eating like Jerry Lewis, Aretha Franklin, Daryl Hall (Hall & Oates), Barry Gibb(Bee Gees), I can go on, and BLOW UP (Slang for getting fat quick). That does no good either there are ways.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a few of my tarantulas and scorpions near or on my stereo speakers. So would some of that down south, midwest, chitterlings, cornbread, pork chop, fried chicken, bass slapping, drum popping, keyboard ringing, guitar jamming, horn driven, voices singing funk bother them?

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont burn insense around them. I also dont use cleaners like windex or pine-sol on cages. I dont really know that it is harmfull but I just dont see a point in doing it if there is any question. There are cleaners that work well that dont have the fumes.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When i grow up i want to be like Chone1. Really.

Anyway, answering to the OP question, as stated, nicotine is a powerful inseticide (blow your cigarette smoke on a roach captured under a cup and see it by yourself) and my grandma used it on her garden. My smoker aunt (who had lung cancer, weighs as much as my 10 year old daughter in law and now has a 3" filter on ger lungs) would throw the smoked cigarettes on a sprayer with water and grandma would spray the plants with it.

I confess that i liked it 'cause i could study all the dead (but intact) insects on the floor.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The smoke residue must cling horribly to the webs.
I don't smoke enough tobacco around my T's without ventilation to actually have it get on or in any enclosures. I do get fairly annoyed when someone burns incense upstairs though. I believe that incense is likely fairly harmful to inverts because it's supposed to linger (the scent at least), so it likely leaves a lot of residue. I'm sure smoking a lot can't be good for anything living though. I don't like to even put my deodorant on in my room because of the butane and other chemicals. I have never seen negative effects on anything from having that which is not tobacco smoked around it (although smoke inhalation damage obviously will).

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a few of my tarantulas and scorpions near or on my stereo speakers. So would some of that down south, midwest, chitterlings, cornbread, pork chop, fried chicken, bass slapping, drum popping, keyboard ringing, guitar jamming, horn driven, voices singing funk bother them?
Nicotine, Nicotine will make you a feen!
If you don't mind, and with all due respect, if you don't have any valuable input for this thread, please stop posting.

And to answer your question in the first quote, yes, it will bother them. But I'm sure you already knew that and were just posting to draw attention.

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure that it would bother them as much as it would bother you to have someone kicking you in the butt every few seconds.

Every one answered the OPs question

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you don't mind, and with all due respect, if you don't have any valuable input for this thread, please stop posting.

And to answer your question in the first quote, yes, it will bother them. But I'm sure you already knew that and were just posting to draw attention.
Please define valuable and yes I do have them on the speakers with the music on.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure that it would bother them as much as it would bother you to have someone kicking you in the butt every few seconds.

Every one answered the OPs question
The vibes can groove ya and soothe ya too!

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
C'mon Lennie, the thread staying on topic is more important that it becoming The Lennie Collins Show.... thanks in advance. ;)

-MrI