Small snakes in UK pet trade

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm looking for a small snake, about the size of a Garter snake but one that will eat mice rather than fish. Infact if it would eat worms or crickets, that would be good too, anything but fish.
It would also need to be easily available in the UK pet trade.
Any ideas? Your help would be much appreciated as I just don't know where to start looking.

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you cant get a snake that eats worms or crickets. T|he snake i have is a corn snake elaphe guttata guttata. it grows to a reasonable size of about 6 foot at the most most though reach 4-5 foot. they can live if well kept about fifteen years on average. they feed on mice and are easy to clean. i use newspaper as substrate so it is easier to clean. another good snake is the king snake.

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you can get a few that eat crickets and insects in the world but none in the pet trade i think. in britian any way. i never knew that you could get a snake that eats crickets untill i looked on another thread

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd read about snakes that eat insects and worms but didn't know if you could buy them here or not. I have a Corn snake already.
I'm really just looking at options at the moment. I have a vivarium spare that fits exactly where I want it. It's only 24"L x 8"D x 16"H. My first idea was some small tree or reed frogs but after seeing the Shaprtail snake in another thread here I wondered about a small snake instead. I'm not in any hurry so I've got plenty of time to think about it.

MrsT

Arachnopeon
Garter snakes can be fed on mice, I have one that eats nothing but mice, feeding them a diet of fish is not healthy for them, they don't get the right nutrients or vitamins and can cause the snake to have seizures later on and early death, as others have said, corns and kings are a good snake to keep, but just as caution, not together :eek: just incase you read into that, good luck in finding your ideal snake :D

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a Garter snake many years ago. I'd love one again but back then I was told it would only eat fish. If I can get one that will eat pinkies I'd be very happy.

MrsT

Arachnopeon
KingBollock said:
I had a Garter snake many years ago. I'd love one again but back then I was told it would only eat fish. If I can get one that will eat pinkies I'd be very happy.
If you got a baby and feed it pinkies from the start you should be ok, thats what I did, mine doesnt even know what fish is lol, I just put a few mice in his water and he fishes for them...

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, a little outdated but seeing as the facts are wrong... ;)

Yes, you can get a small snake in the UK that eats invertebrates as opposed to mice or fish. It is the (rough) green snake - Opheodrys aestivus. They usually cost around £30 if you get them from a shop, but hunt around and you'll find them a lot cheaper.

Lee

P.S. If yuo've never heard of something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist....

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thankyou, I'm definately interested in that one, it sounds perfect. I'll look into a little more and then see if I can find one.