small mites on millipede, harm or not?

Zikoko

Arachnopeon
Which species did you find them on ? Wildcought A. gigas for example carry communial mites which don't cause any harm but are actually beneficial to the millipede's well-being. I believe the mites die out over time though, because we can't replicate their natural habitat well enough.

''The millipedes have a symbiotic relationship with these mites, in which the mites help clean the millipede's exoskeleton in exchange for food and the protection of their host.''

anders2001

Arachnopeon
Which species did you find them on ? Wildcought A. gigas for example carry communial mites which don't cause any harm but are actually beneficial to the millipede's well-being. I believe the mites die out over time though, because we can't replicate their natural habitat well enough.

''The millipedes have a symbiotic relationship with these mites, in which the mites help clean the millipede's exoskeleton in exchange for food and the protection of their host.''
Spirostreptidae sp. 6

Zikoko

Arachnopeon
I haven't been able to find anything about your species specifically. They look like commensal mites to me but I'm no expert. If you can't get a definitive answer and you have your doubts, you can try to carefully remove them with a paintbrush for example.

Hope someone more experienced will chime in to clarify.

SFA

Arachnoknight
Mine (various species) occasionally get mites that look just like that. If I see a milli with a bunch on them I’ll wash them off, but honestly I don’t think they bother the millipedes at all. Mites are pretty common, as long as they’re moving around on the milli and not attaching to the millipedes they are generally not harmful, but lots can stress your millipedes.
But it drives me crazy because I sterilize everything and I can’t figure out where they come from! Lol

Zikoko

Arachnopeon
Mine (various species) occasionally get mites that look just like that. If I see a milli with a bunch on them I’ll wash them off, but honestly I don’t think they bother the millipedes at all. Mites are pretty common, as long as they’re moving around on the milli and not attaching to the millipedes they are generally not harmful, but lots can stress your millipedes.
But it drives me crazy because I sterilize everything and I can’t figure out where they come from! Lol
You mean you sterilized everything and the mites still came back in the same tank?
So am I wrong thinking that these types of mites are the commensal ones which can only come with wildcaught Spirostreptidae species?

My A. gigas has a little colony of the fast running ones on him aswell, I've never even seen an A. gigas without them so I've just let them be.

SFA

Arachnoknight
You mean you sterilized everything and the mites still came back in the same tank?
So am I wrong thinking that these types of mites are the commensal ones which can only come with wildcaught Spirostreptidae species?

My A. gigas has a little colony of the fast running ones on him aswell, I've never even seen an A. gigas without them so I've just let them be.
Yes, I always sterilize everything and yet I still occasionally get these mites in all my enclosures. Could be that they come in on new millipedes. I’ve seen them in my isopod enclosures as well, but they seem to die off right quick in there.