Sluggish Hadrurus arizonensis

Khagra

Arachnosquire
My Hadrurus arizonensis has started acting strangely this week. She has always been fairly active since I bought her last November from a local petstore. Made some tunnels, but still saw her above ground very frequently.

I check on her daily, and when I first noticed something was wrong was on Monday. Was holding pedipalps right up against her mouth. Thought it was unusual but mostly ignored it, but three days in she was still holding them in same place. Even prodding her she wouldn't move them away. No defensive posture or anything.

Today found her in middle of tank with the classic "flat tail" symptom of a dead scorpion and freaked out. Started nudging her with tongs and her tail lifted and she moved her legs, but didn't walk away, try to flee, defend herself or anything.

I'm assuming it's probably old age. She was an adult when I bought her, and I suspect she was wild caught because she's a very common local species.

However, if any of you have suggestions with something that might help the situation, please tell me. I know she's a very common breed and would be very easy to replace, but she is my most beloved scorpion and I will be very sad to see her go. u_u;

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Sounds exactly like what happened with my old desert hairy. Hopefully someone can help you but it doesn't sound promising.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
enclosure description?

Did you provide deep stable substrate? These scorpions are obligate burrowers, and have a natural lifespan of 15-20+ years

Khagra

Arachnosquire
https://imgur.com/a/DI8ZQ

Here's an album of her enclosure. Mixture of clay and sand.

20 gallon tank. 5 inches of burrowing room. Can see burrow especially well in first picture bottom left.

Misted small corner of her tank once a month. Barely damp.

Fed dubai blaptica that I bred myself twice a week, removed within 24 hours if left uneaten.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Did you provide a water dish? Arizonensis needs a full dish at all times, they drink alot.

other than that enclosure looks good. I guess she's just old.. Or she could've had a parasite.

Khagra

Arachnosquire
Had a small waterdish. Just a snapple cap, never touched for months.

From what I'd read they get most of their water from eating anyway?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I recognize those images. Have you posted here before? Or on another forum? I swear I've seen those exact pictures before lol.

Anyway, you answer your question I agree with @Smokehound714 in that it sounds like old age. The sands of time ravage us all sooner or later I suppose. If she was wild caught and adult when you got her then there is no way to tell how old she was before entering your care.

Sorry to hear about your scorpion.

Khagra

Arachnosquire
Yes, I've posted some of those pictures here before haha.

Unfortunately, she did not make it through the night. I'm terribly sad, but I really hope it was just old age.

Eventually I think I might like to get another or possibly another desert scorpion that is active. My favorite thing about her was that she wasn't in her tunnel all the time. Ah well.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Khagra I have several Hadrurus and they're all out a lot now that they have established burrows.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
Wait what is "flat tail" my Desert Hairy was live caught, and I sometimes see him/her with it's tail flat on the ground when it is walking...is it gonna die?