slings how do you keep yours

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep all my slings in small delis or vials, usually whatever they are shipped in. I use coco fiber as substrate, usually making it as deep as possible, but if they come on vermiculite or peat ill use that too. I try to keep ventilation to a minimum (usually use no air holes), and mist when i notice the substrate is drying out. I feed them when i feel like it, usually once every week or maybe two weeks depending on species.

The thing that matters is picking out prey remains, and making sure there is no mold or mildew. Do this and they will stay alive. I have a pretty low fatality number keeping them this way (out of over 100 slings of various species in 5 years, i have lost 4).

-Nate

danni

Arachnopeon
After reading this, I'm starting to think mine live in condos.
I have two g. pulchra slings [about 3/4 inch, and they live in those 5 dollar critter keepers that are like 6 inches long and they are rectangular if you know what I mean.

Is it bad to keep them in big cages?

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After reading this, I'm starting to think mine live in condos.
I have two g. pulchra slings [about 3/4 inch, and they live in those 5 dollar critter keepers that are like 6 inches long and they are rectangular if you know what I mean.

Is it bad to keep them in big cages?
people say it can stress the t but in my opinion it isnt bad because in there natural habitat they can go anywhere but they choose not to

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok guys just got done setting up my new arboreal enclosures there for a p. irminia and a p. regialis....tell me what you think...ps the cork bark is hoot glued to the back of the top section of the cube

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jng.....to for warn you.....theres too much cool stuff in micheals so unless you want to spend amillion dollars id go with relitivly empty pockets...hhahah....also the small cubes i think are 25 cents...at least here they are...and there are other cubes as well...every time i go to micheals i buy them out:D like tomorrow i think im going to get more...and also prolly going to buy some stuff to cast a few things.....roaches....a dead snake....ect...ect but good luck and post a pic when you get them set up...also if anyone has any questions about drilling them and attaching screen to the lid shoot me a PM .....oh yeah by the way....if you go to petsmart....look for "hermit crab corkbark" its 3.00 dollars for 2 pieces and works perfect for these cube....at least the larger ones...there in plastic bags at petsmart and with a "pet perks card" its like a dollar 25 for 2 pieces!
Well, its Arizona. Everything costs more. But, I dont plan to buy too many more cubes, cuz then Im guna be spending more to buy T's to fill them. But, yeah, ur right about Micheals. They have these things Im guna use for hides when mine get bigger. These little buildings that are shaped like castles with actual kinda big holes in the the windows and doors, and its hollow. Think they are like $6. And, yeah there was all kinds of different stuff you could use for an enclosure. But, i was just lookin for those cubes. I got like 14-15 of them. And, i dont even have that many T's.

Last edited:

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I generally keep them in whatever they came in, when they outgrow it I moved them on to a container something else has outgrown.

Rupert

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 7 month slings is kept in a small tank (5 gallon) set up, with a log for somewhere to hide and a water bowl, this way once its in and settled theres no need to up lift the T until its about 3 year old the guy in the shop said,

skinnyb

Arachnopeon
I have an avic (peruvian purple pinktoe) sling and we just moved her into her new home which is made up of a Thorton Plastics vial. We cut out some windows with a hot knife and hot glued mesh to the sides for some cross ventilation. She used to be a small mason jar but it was still too big for her and she wasn't getting the ventilation she needed. She's my first sling and with the help of my boyfriend (he's got about 15 Ts) she will grow up nice and strong.
I love my little baby spider :)
Check out Lucy's new home and how happy she looks in it

Attachments

agent lead

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an avic (peruvian purple pinktoe) sling and we just moved her into her new home which is made up of a Thorton Plastics vial. We cut out some windows with a hot knife and hot glued mesh to the sides for some cross ventilation. She used to be a small mason jar but it was still too big for her and she wasn't getting the ventilation she needed. She's my first sling and with the help of my boyfriend (he's got about 15 Ts) she will grow up nice and strong.
I love my little baby spider :)
Check out Lucy's new home and how happy she looks in it
dam we did a nice job!

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thornton's fo arboreal slings and condiment cups for terrestrials. Deli cups for juvies and I have a ton of random big pretzel containers and beef jerky containers anything you can think of lol, tons of plastic containers of all shapes and sizes with different t's in them.

lmramsey89

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my itty bitty A. Urticans slings in walmart glass salt shakers :) Perfect and cute. :}

Loudog760

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This post is very helpful. Can you get this mesh at Micheals?

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what size of sling can be housed in one of these cubes

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i use the smallest cubes micheals sells....they work great and are cheap....go to my pic link to see
Me too! These cube are awesome. Different sizes too. I'll usually keep mine in the vials I get from the dealer until they grow out of them first though.

skinnyb

Arachnopeon
we actually bought one of those reptile hammocks and just cut it up for the mesh.. Michaels near me doesn't sell the mesh of the plastic cubes

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got these new screw top bottles they are 2"*2"*3"* will these be big enugh for my Avic slings