Sling enclosures

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does this enlosure look good for three different slings (of course three dif enclosures)

Acanthoscurria geniculata .75"
Brachypelma smithi .5"
Grammostola aureostriata .75"

100% peat
milk jug cap
and plasic plant

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe a tad big, but probably fine. I've got some slings that size in containers that are only a little smaller (based off the pics) and they're doing quite well.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've had a G. Aureostriata in one of those from 3/4s of an inch onward for several months now. They are a little big but the ts grow into them.

For water I simply wet pour water on the substrate near the burrow.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So they'll grow into 'em! Not a big deal. Amac cubes make great enclosures for slings and juvenile t's!!

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for the replies i made the other 2 just now they look about the same ... i plan on ordering the three t's in about a month or so lol i know jumping the gun alittle.. what do you suggest for a hide ?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Enclosure are somewhat bigger than needed, but thats more a personal choice thing. as for hides, nearly anything the T can get under and feel safe, my terrestrial Ts are given a flattish rock turned lengthwise standing up, sunk down into the strate, with a cave dug out near it, they then expand it from there. I start the cave behind the rock, so their burrow is dark and hidden from the front.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like you've got some great ventilation goin on with those enclosures. Those enclosures would work especially well with arboreals that require ventilation such as the Avics and pokies. Just a tip in case you decide to use those in the future for arboreals..although you might already.

BedroomEyzOfBlu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That enclosure looks great :clap: with the exception that you need a hide of some sort. We use ceramic pots cut in half length wise - they come in all sizes from vry tiny to large and are available at any dollar store.

I have yet to be able to find that enclosure type here in Canada. Although we have a Michaels - where I know the American branches stock them - the online catalog does not show them for us :mad:

Good job and gl with ur slings. geniculatas grow quickly with each molt - at least dbling their size each time, so they will grow into those boxes nicely.:)

Rosana - BedroomEyzOfBlu

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got these from Hobby lobby i dont know if it might be easier to get them there?

Nathan`

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another place to look for those display boxes is comic book shops that sell figurines and also model stores.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep - look good to me, bearing in mind what has already been said about the importance of adding a hide. Also - what are you holding the tops on with ?

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They look good to me. You might want to keep the smithi in the vial that it comes in for a molt or two, when you see it you will be surprised at how small .5" really is. Unless your eyesight is really good (mine isn't), it kind of blends in with the substrate and could get lost with all that space, but you will see for yourself when you get it--use your own judgement. The genic and chaco should be fine, they are hardy and active at .75" and great eaters, so I think extra space is not a problem. I didn't use a hide for my slings at that size, I just gave them the plants for cover, like you. They burrow for safety, the chaco most certainly will even if given a hide. I also don't use a water dish at that size, I keep one end moist/misted, I have a dry and damp side. If you really want a hide, you can try to find cork bark, and pick out a really thin piece and then cut it up with a knife to the right size pieces and make little lean-to hides. That's what I did for my larger slings (1-2").

BedroomEyzOfBlu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have never seen/heard of Hobby Lobby here in Canada or in Ontario where we are.

Is there a manufacturers name/phone/addy engraved on the container anywhere that may help me find them online?

Rosana

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vials are economical, readily available and a must for people with large collections, tight budgets or freshly hatched egg sacs, but not the only game in town. ;)

Since my collection isn't very large...yet {D , I like the cubes over vials.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=64704

I tried them on 4 A metallica slings, 2 3/4" genic slings and a .5" B smithi. I was able to customize them for the species I was keeping, they are excellent display tanks and maintenance is a breeze.

The only drawback I have found so far-

The lids don't latch- this is easily fixed with a clear rubber band.
And if you are keeping a very tiny sling be sure your holes are no bigger than 1/16".

My A metallica slings quickly turned their silk flowers into very cool and extensive webs. They have some really neat tubes running along the sides.

My genics are outgrowing theirs but I had no problems with them.

My B smithi needed extra substrate so he would not take a fall. Because of his small size I just set a curled silk leaf in the cube for a hide. He loves to drag it around and occasionally bury it.

If you feel they need a bit more privacy, a piece of dark paper taped to one or two sides makes a cozy home, and can be lifted up if you need to check on them.

Very nice setup Gustavo. :) The only tip I have is add more peat, that stuff really settles.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BedroomEyzOfBlu said:
I have never seen/heard of Hobby Lobby here in Canada or in Ontario where we are.

Is there a manufacturers name/phone/addy engraved on the container anywhere that may help me find them online?

Rosana
Yes, we dont have one in california either. There is a map if you search it, and it tells you where each are located.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You know I haven't looked and I don't really have the time right now, but I'd try ebay. I think you can get pretty much everything including kitchen sinks on ebay....

@wicked--just wait until you have over 40 eyesight, then you won't be putting .5 slings in big cubes. You spend too much time looking for your glasses or magnifiers{D {D {D . I sometimes have my 9 year old find my tiny slings for me. HIM: There it is mom... Me: Are you sure there's a spider in there?????