Sling enclosures

mdfic

Arachnopeon
how big should i allow my slings to grow before i move them into small critter keepers.
E. camp
G. rosea
G. aureo
A. genic

all are about 1/4 -1/2 in. right now and they are in small plastic display boxes about 2.5-3.5 in. long. i am keeping their substrate moist for them and feeding every couple of days. anything else i should do? the genic's butt is starting to turn black. is this a molt approaching? if so it will be the first one for me.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first three species you listed are rather slow growers. The geniculata will grow pretty quickly.

I believe you bought those from Inland Sea Reptiles (correct me if I'm wrong) and in that case I know exactly what size containers they gave you.

When the legs can reach from one end to the other end ( the one that's shorter ), then you definitely need to change the container.

But with the species you have it wil be a while...

I'd say as soon as they reach 1.5"-1.75" in legspan give them a larger enclosure...not necessarily a critter keeper though...

Jake

mdfic

Arachnopeon
what would you suggest instead of the small critter keepers?

yes they did come from inland sea. i had to move one of my E. camp to a deli cup cause of a large crack in the container that kept leaking water everywhere. i figure that one will be in there for a long time.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, I go through a progression of enclosures:

sling vial until approaching 1"
baby food/salsa jar/deli container until approaching 1.75"
mini kritter keeper until they break the 2.5" mark

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what i've also found useful for slings up to about 1.5" have been the 1/64th model car containers... (for hot wheels n things)

they works very well for all of my slings, easy to decorate if i feel like it, deep enough if i want to give them a burrow, tilt em, got an arboreal enclosure :D

-Joshua