Silliest thing a layman has told you about Tarantulas

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tell my family what new T's I just ordered using the scientific names and they go "--Waaiitt a minute, hold on...a what? No-no-no, what would *I* call it" They want to know the common name lol.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I tell my family what new T's I just ordered using the scientific names and they go "--Waaiitt a minute, hold on...a what? No-no-no, what would *I* call it" They want to know the common name lol.
LOL I run into that at my LPS. The herp expert is always curious about new additions to my collection, but when I try to use the scientific names he says, "Whoa you've officially gone beyond my realm of knowledge there." I had real fun trying to explain the difference between A. genic and N. chromatus.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I sell T's and I just love when people ask for one their 3 year old can hold.I just want to say "Why this OBT right here would be great for your little one"....

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I run into the consistent assumption that they are all kept together.
So do I...and it's usually asked right after I answer how many I have. It's incredibly hard to keep a straight face after being asked if I keep 50+ tarantulas in "one big cage".

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The people I know don't care if its in one cage or not, I tell them I have 15 T's and they have a panic attack.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So do I...and it's usually asked right after I answer how many I have. It's incredibly hard to keep a straight face after being asked if I keep 50+ tarantulas in "one big cage".
Seriously whats with that? they aren't tropical fish.
I usually answer "no, I don't like having a gladitorial combat ring in my room." usually gets people confused enough to think about their questions before they ask me another stupid one.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Seriously whats with that? they aren't tropical fish.
I usually answer "no, I don't like having a gladitorial combat ring in my room." usually gets people confused enough to think about their questions before they ask me another stupid one.
I had a guy at a LPS ask if I was gonna keep my L.p.s together.

The next thing they say after you tell them they'd fight and eat one another is that you SHOULD do it. That way you only have the most badass spider left. All I can think is "that's not fair to my poor Avic."

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I had a guy at a LPS ask if I was gonna keep my L.p.s together.

The next thing they say after you tell them they'd fight and eat one another is that you SHOULD do it. That way you only have the most badass spider left. All I can think is "that's not fair to my poor Avic."
That right there...that honks me off. I can easily accept that many people are going to be completely ignorant of how this hobby works - they're entitled to their ignorance. No one needs to know everything. But these schmucks who know next to nothing and then proceed to tell you how you should be engaging in the hobby, because they watched a bug documentary once that totally had a T segment...that gets stuck in my craw. The absolute worst is when you mistake this "advice" for interest, and when you try to re-educate them they outright refuse to accept the new information.

I'm starting to get why some of the more experienced members here say they don't bother telling most people about their T's. I'm swiftly approaching the point where I just stop trying and limit my T conversations to participation on Arachnoboards, and maybe Arachnofunctions if I ever manage to get my car on the road.

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
I impart a bit of knowledge on anyone who says anything about spiders, tarantulas, or snakes in my presence haha. Most people I talk to have taken to asking me more questions then anything. I'm always happy to answer questions and what not and in that way most of my friends and family are decently versed in the matters.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
"Don't you think you should take them out of the tank and let them run around your backyard for abit? They need exercise" -The biggest idiot in my neighborhood.
LOL....That reminds me of the reason that PETA is against the tarantula hobby: That tarantulas need to be out in the open, not in cages, and socialize with each other.:o_O:

That's cool.....wonder if I could hit up the local municipal government for some funding for a Tarantula Park. :biggrin:

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL....That reminds me of the reason that PETA is against the tarantula hobby: That tarantulas need to be out in the open, not in cages, and socialize with each other.:o_O:

That's cool.....wonder if I could hit up the local municipal government for some funding for a Tarantula Park. :biggrin:
You bring up a good point, and I think I have to side with PETA on this one.

When I first brought home my H. lividum, it was out in the open of its enclosure and enjoyed the sunshine. Then, after being away from its friends for a week or so, it dug a hole, and now does nothing but sit in that hole, in the dark, and listen to Sisters of Mercy and Type O Negative.

When it does come out of its hole, it seems extremely angry.

More recently it has stopped eating; something that it really used to enjoy.

I looked up all these symptoms on the internet -
-Loss of interest in daily activities
-Isolating oneself from others/sleeping too much
-Appetite changes
-Anger/irritability/more aggressive than usual...

I think my tarantula is depressed. Help.

Last edited:

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon

When I first brought home my H. lividum, it was out in the open of its enclosure and enjoyed the sunshine. Then, after being away from its friends for a week or so, it dug a hole, and now does nothing but sit in that hole, in the dark, and listen to Sisters of Mercy and Type O Negative. I think it may be depressed.
You're funny, dear. You forgot to mention the time it climbed the tub and did its Robbie Knievel imitation at you. :)

Akai

Arachnobaron

When I first brought home my H. lividum, it was out in the open of its enclosure and enjoyed the sunshine. Then, after being away from its friends for a week or so, it dug a hole, and now does nothing but sit in that hole, in the dark, and listen to Sisters of Mercy and Type O Negative. I think it may be depressed.
LMAO! You killed me with this one. i almost spewed coffee all over my laptop screen. bahaaaaa. btw welcome back stranger. :wink:

Last edited:

GG80

Arachnoknight
Just today I told a guy that I keep tarantulas, he casually responded with, 'I assume you got them de-venomized', as if it's the thing to do. I just said no and walked away.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

When I first brought home my H. lividum, it was out in the open of its enclosure and enjoyed the sunshine. Then, after being away from its friends for a week or so, it dug a hole, and now does nothing but sit in that hole, in the dark, and listen to Sisters of Mercy and Type O Negative.

When it does come out of its hole, it seems extremely angry.

More recently it has stopped eating; something that it really used to enjoy.

I looked up all these symptoms on the internet -
-Loss of interest in daily activities
-Isolating oneself from others/sleeping too much
-Appetite changes
-Anger/irritability/more aggressive than usual...

I think my tarantula is depressed. Help.
I am having the same problems with my GBB sling. Ever since rehousing it has seemed incredibly sad. It has spun an extensive webbed tunnel system where it spends the whole day crying and listening to Asking Alexandria and other such metalcore bands. Whenever I try to tell it that it should stop listening to such shitty poser music and get out of this phase it says it would rather die. I am seriously afraid for its life and not sure if it can hold on much longer. We need to start a tarantula support group so that we can help these poor depressed spiders and so I don't have to hear another techno breakdown ever again XD

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

cold blood

Staff member
Prettyhate made me laugh.:)

Burrowers aren't that way by choice, they're just clinically depressed? I feel sorry for them now. I'm gonna go have a talk with my A. ezendami right now for a therapy session, it must have endured some kind of trauma before I got it, maybe it was fondled in the egg sac by one of its siblings. :(