Silkworm food recipe

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Anyone know what silkworm food is made out of (besides mulberry)? What makes it stick together? I know it's a closely guarded secret of people who sell silkworm food, but does anyone here know what it is or can make a guess? If it's too top secret you can send me a PM :)
I want to use something similar to make cockroach food.

Stickytoe

Arachnopeon
I would like to know the recipe as well! Please pm me if you know!

As for roaches, I have had great success mixing pureed dry dogfood with the Repashy Superfoods gecko diets. I have the ingredients on my website under 'diets'.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would like to know the recipe as well! Please pm me if you know!

As for roaches, I have had great success mixing pureed dry dogfood with the Repashy Superfoods gecko diets. I have the ingredients on my website under 'diets'.

Black Widow88

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Crepsis from the bidabug roach forum said it might be agar agar. I think that's what it must be. I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it works out :)
If I can find it that is. Need to check my local hippie markets.

Stickytoe

Arachnopeon
you should be able to order agar through almost any biological lab supply company. It is quite common. Agar is used in tomato hornworm lab diets as well. I suspect this is a primary ingredient in the silkworm chow because you are supposed to boil it first....that is how agar is prepped.

rgwheels

Arachnopeon
hornworm

do you guys know a site for the hornworm food???

please pm me if you know of one... I'm thinking of raising these to feed my chameleons.

~Rob

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Crepsis from the bidabug roach forum said it might be agar agar. I think that's what it must be. I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it works out :)
If I can find it that is. Need to check my local hippie markets.
Isn't agar agar sold in asian supermarkets in little packets? It's a gel former right?

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's made out of seaweed. I found some for pretty cheap at a local health food store. I'm going to try making some this weekend. Will let you know how it goes :)

colorcham427

Arachnopeon
Where did you read or hear that? Sea weed???

Mulberry chow is made up of mulberry leaves. The smell comes from soy.

It MUST have agar in it, agar solidifies when it hits a boiling point. The agar that is in this chow is specifically designed to harden at a nice soft cheese-like tofu consistency.

Silk worms only eat mulberry leaves or the artificial mulberry chow, that powder that is sold regularly in the US.

Silk worms will eat dandelion leaves and grated carrot. But, that is only used as a substitute if you waiting for more mulberry chow to be delivered or have'nt found a mulberry tree. :)

colorcham427

Arachnopeon
Not so sure if any person here in the states is capable of competing with prices from Mulberry farms and Coastal Silkworms...

Both of those companies bring in the food by the quantity that has a low price. In order to get this powder imported, you would have to buy at least a whole ton. Literally a ton. That is thousands of pounds.

Not only would you need to do that, you would have to find a reliable source. Over sea transactions are risky. If you get robbed, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it unless you are the President lol...

You need to go through the food customs, DEA customs, etc. DEA is involved because if you are ordering a ton of any sort of product, especially powder, you could smuggle in drugs, weapons, etc.

Not only do you need a reliable source to purchase the chow, you would need a sterile facility to produce this chow.

I normally buy 40-60 pounds at a time. I cook small amounts at a time. Easy to maintain and keep in a small clean environment.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I have books with silkworm food recipes. It seems hard to believe that someone could order in a ton from overseas and save money. The ingredients aren't that expensive.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have books with silkworm food recipes. It seems hard to believe that someone could order in a ton from overseas and save money. The ingredients aren't that expensive.
Why dont you post the recipes here, in a thread that is relevant to the topic, instead of continuing to try to sell your "books" through not sharing information?

(If you arent trying to sell *your* books with that post, then please, go ahead and post the book title/recipe...there are people here who would find that interesting, I think.)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Why dont you post the recipes here, in a thread that is relevant to the topic, instead of continuing to try to sell your "books" through not sharing information?

(If you arent trying to sell *your* books with that post, then please, go ahead and post the book title/recipe...there are people here who would find that interesting, I think.)
I don't publish any books with silkworm recipes. Your rudeness isn't going to goad me into stealing other people's ideas from their copyright works and illegally pasting them on the internet.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Attribution doesn't void copyright theft.
Umm... http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

(Even if recipes were covered under copyright, posting a slightly reworded version of the recipe with attribution to the source is fair use, "...the fair use of a copyrighted work...for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include: 1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes(which this is) 2..." - 17 U.S.C. § 107)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Posting content on a message board website would not be considered teaching or research in court. Is this site registered nonprofit? A recipe without measurements and explanation would be useless even if it would skirt the legal definition.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would be willing to bet it is something along the lines of.

Dehydrated mulberry leaves-leaves dehydrated in a food dehydrator and crushed to fine powder mixed with agar agar(the ratio would need experimenting). Perhaps you could add trace amounts of reptivite or chlorella/spirulina algae to it just to make sure they are getting all the nutrients.