Sick Pic of a Spider Bite!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For some reason, I doubt this, like all recluse stories, ironically, this one wasn't caught and directly identified. The spider may not have even bitten the person.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Objections

EVERYONE PLEASE STOP!

"Richard Duxbury, from law firm Slater and Gordon, representing Mr Hogg, said: "Mr Hogg has suffered a harrowing experience after he was bitten by a very venomous spider. This situation could have been far worse, with Mr Hogg narrowly avoiding losing his leg and perhaps even his life."

Let us take things one at a time. The name of this thread. I ask everyone to NOT give in to sensationalism. It may be 'sick' to some but to the real world, those of us in the medical profession, it is graphically anatomical.

Barrister sues airline after nearly losing his leg when bitten by flesh-eating spider

Being bitten. Please change to suspected spider bite. Flesh eating spider. ALL carnivores on the planet are flesh eaters, including humans. Get over it!!

First, there is no smoking gun evidence there was a spider bite. Only suspicions.

Next we have a photograph of a Loxosceles. Whether this is the actual spider that was seen is unknown. If it was a Loxosceles it may be an entirely different subspecies. In a court of law this is called biasing evidence. Causing belief without proof. Case is thrown out right there. Done. Gone.

Next we have: "Within hours, his leg had ballooned and turned black and by the time he reached hospital it was "bursting open"" This is not from a medical report. It is a lay persons opinion. It is not the technical jargon we use.

Next we have the time frames 'Within hours' and 'the next day' referring to the same time period.

And finally, a smoking gun. The picture of the injury. What caused the injury is unknown but the photograph clearly depicts an advanced infection. For there to be that much pus and inflammation a very virulent bacteria must have established itself within a few minutes of the original injury. PLEASE NOTE; gross anatomical dissection during debriding is not mentioned, the bacterium is not identified and the antibiotic course prescribed which would give us an idea of the type of bacteria is also not mentioned.

To sum up, what we have here is YET ANOTHER PIECE OF SENSATIONALIST GARBAGE

And as a PS. One glance at that wound and taking the time frame into account, I am tempted to mention suspected Staph. However, if I had been present at that hospital a physician would have given me a royal arse chewing for jumping to conclusions and not adhering to proper medical practices and procedures. ACT PROFESSIONAL! Leave the conclusion jumping to the uninformed laypersons. The best any medical authority could conclude without lab and pathologist reports is SUSPECTED. I don't see that word used anywhere in that article.

And in closing, I will switch the cop mode. The barristers are suing Qatar airlines:
"Culpability, or being culpable, is a measure of the degree to which an agent, such as a person, can be held morally or legally responsible for action and inaction."

Cruising for an out of court settlement, yes? And we wonder why the courts are jammed with frivolous bulls*** and move at the speed of a glacier.
This isn't news. It isn't even close to an accurate recounting of an incident. That last paragraph says it all. The entire article is contrived noise put together by attorneys as they make a run for the money bag. It is what they would proclaim in their opening statement to the court.

Last edited:

fowlmoodmandy

Arachnopeon
I will say that this is definitely sensationalized and fear mongered. My father just this past July, within 4 days time, lost his lower left leg after finding what he thought was a "stone bruise" on his heel. Within 24 hours it was an open and suppurating wound. Spider bite was thrown around...hell, he woke up one morning to a fricken chipmunk nibbling the end of his finger thanks to his cats bringing the thing in thru the window but what was cultured in the live and dead flesh of his heel was a streptococcus bacteria that causes extreme flesh necrosis and gas production. I just can't believe it. I've actually read (and who knows because I did not back up the research) that very few people react that way to a recluse bite and that it's basically a reaction that causes the necrosis from the bite. Whatever scares people is what the media goes for. SMH.

The Snark

Old Timer
I will say that this is definitely sensationalized and fear mongered. My father just this past July, within 4 days time, lost his lower left leg after finding what he thought was a "stone bruise" on his heel. Within 24 hours it was an open and suppurating wound. Spider bite was thrown around...hell, he woke up one morning to a fricken chipmunk nibbling the end of his finger thanks to his cats bringing the thing in thru the window but what was cultured in the live and dead flesh of his heel was a streptococcus bacteria that causes extreme flesh necrosis and gas production. I just can't believe it. I've actually read (and who knows because I did not back up the research) that very few people react that way to a recluse bite and that it's basically a reaction that causes the necrosis from the bite. Whatever scares people is what the media goes for. SMH.
Streptococcus pyogenes. Loxosceles isn't even a pale shadow compared to it. Attributed to killing thousands of soldiers during WW I.

Sincere sympathies extended on your loss.

fowlmoodmandy

Arachnopeon
Yep, that's what it was. We walk around barefoot all the time. The doctor asked him did he live near cowpastures, lol! Yeah, one right next door. This is not a city this is the country haha. He's doing well though. 8 weeks post amputation he already had his new leg and is getting around again. He's a Vietnam veteran and got thru all that and one day he just wakes up with a "bruise" on his heel. He said he never could see a break in the skin. So weird. With that being said, and not to hijack the thread, I believe the media or whoever gets crazy with the whole "spider bite" thing just because it's what people fear and love to read about it happening to someone else.

The Snark

Old Timer
Yep, that's what it was. We walk around barefoot all the time. The doctor asked him did he live near cowpastures, lol! Yeah, one right next door. This is not a city this is the country haha. He's doing well though. 8 weeks post amputation he already had his new leg and is getting around again. He's a Vietnam veteran and got thru all that and one day he just wakes up with a "bruise" on his heel. He said he never could see a break in the skin. So weird. With that being said, and not to hijack the thread, I believe the media or whoever gets crazy with the whole "spider bite" thing just because it's what people fear and love to read about it happening to someone else.
Any of several skin diseases and conditions, as well as fungal infections, can provide a pathway for a pathogen. The foot, especially the heel, which is poorly vascularized and often calloused with dry flaky skin is a common entry point. This is the reason for nursing staffs to have a standing protocols to watch for and prevent bed sores. With bedridden patients the key points, heels, pelvic area and scapulas are to be checked multiple times every 24 hours.

People who work with or live near livestock are exposed to numerous pathogens that are rarely encountered in most peoples lives. This tends to lull doctors into a false sense of security and gives them a blind spot. As example, your average urban ER physician sees fusiform necrophum, thrush, maybe once or twice in his career. Large animal vets cope with it on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
I have shared this story on my Facebook, and I've been fighting with (ignorant) people through comments on a different version of this story too. Being called names, but mostly being agreed with. The man did it to himself. It said, in the original story I read, he let the irritation go. He brushed it off, thinking he was not bitten by the spider he's claiming he saw. I was told by someone who works in a hospital (same woman who called me a name), that in the course of the plane ride, this could happen. Lmao. People nowadays are IDIOTS. Media makes it all worse. Nobody researches anything anymore. Google doesn't help because it puts top stories, like these, in your face first. It's absolutely ridiculous what people will believe just because a celebrity or a news station casts it. I swear, if channel 13 says there's a zombie running rampant down a Main Street, everyone would go crazy with belief! *sigh*

EDIT: Also, I cannot understand how he wants to hold the airline responsible. While yes, they are in control of keeping the airplane safe, it is this own man's decision to not let a stewardess know what is going on. Deep Vein Thrombosis? After you see what you THINK is a Brown Recluse running from under your legs? He didn't notify anyone, and even let it go until the next day! For all we know, he brought the damned spider on the plane. This story is just so dumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
I have shared this story on my Facebook, and I've been fighting with (ignorant) people through comments on a different version of this story too. Being called names, but mostly being agreed with. The man did it to himself. It said, in the original story I read, he let the irritation go. He brushed it off, thinking he was not bitten by the spider he's claiming he saw. I was told by someone who works in a hospital (same woman who called me a name), that in the course of the plane ride, this could happen. Lmao. People nowadays are IDIOTS. Media makes it all worse. Nobody researches anything anymore. Google doesn't help because it puts top stories, like these, in your face first. It's absolutely ridiculous what people will believe just because a celebrity or a news station casts it. I swear, if channel 13 says there's a zombie running rampant down a Main Street, everyone would go crazy with belief! *sigh*

EDIT: Also, I cannot understand how he wants to hold the airline responsible. While yes, they are in control of keeping the airplane safe, it is this own man's decision to not let a stewardess know what is going on. Deep Vein Thrombosis? After you see what you THINK is a Brown Recluse running from under your legs? He didn't notify anyone, and even let it go until the next day! For all we know, he brought the damned spider on the plane. This story is just so dumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Modern TV can be blamed for much of this. The average person spends three hours semi hypnotized (EECs have clearly demonstrated how the frontal lobes all but turn off while staring at the stupid tube). The discerning thinking part of the brain being off, you accept what you see at face value. Critical thinking gets stuffed into a closet in the basement. The primal part of the brain takes over, the part that records for the survival instinct, and that media noise becomes facts.

In order for critical thinking to kick in again, contrapuntal information must be given to it so it has something to compare things to. I refer to this as the Fox News Syndrome. It is also well known as formative years indoctrination, used very effectively by various religions.

A creedo used by the upper echelon of a certain religion says it all: give us a child below the age of 6 and he's ours for life. Once recorded and in use by the survival part of the brain, it is extremely difficult to retrain your thinking.

Various methodologies have come about which turn off critical thinking. Scientology uses one which is well documented where the victim is 'audited' on a primitive electronic device called an E-meter. Through continuous enforced analysis the frontal lobes shut down and the meter needle floats. Only the primitive part of the brain, the stimulus response, is active. Without stimulus, the brain sits in an idle state.

Last edited:

Coconana

Arachnosquire
Ugg.. What a load of garbage. Admittedly, I did get a bit of a laugh out of the 'flesh eating spider' bit, though all the humor evaporated the second I remembered that quite a few in the general populace would actually... believe it.

Boy do I feel bad for the local spiders when it comes to those people :unhappy:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This thread is what you would refer to as "click bait" IMO with the title of the thread, and the content, it is generatinve ad revenue of our traffic going to check out the site..