Sick GBB -HELP!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
As long as she doesn't deteriorate any further i think there might be a bit of hope she'll recover and she deserves the chance.
As long as she is alive, there is a fighting chance.

I just want to throw in there that you should try to physically manipulate/hold her as little as necessary. I can't imagine the stress of man handling would be fantastic on an already sick T. I know you're just doing all you can to get to the root of the problem, but please believe me when I say TOO much fussing can be just as bad as not enough.

The anus doesn't appear to be blocked - at least to a visibly external point. It's also a good sign she passed some feces, but that's still pretty bizarre that her abdomen is so enlarged, unless she was incredibly obese going into her last molt and just didn't shed all the weight.

Is she still the only T acting ill? Has anyone sprayed any new chemicals around the house, treated pets for fleas/ticks, anything of that sort? Though if something like that were causing issues, it would be odd that she's the only one affected.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
She's still fighting so I do too! Whatever it is, shes not ready to go. It doesn't feel right to give up just yet. It's such a horrible choice to make. I wouldn't wish this in my worst enemy. Im giving her another day, and another after that and so on and so on. As long as she doesn't deteriorate any further i think there might be a bit of hope she'll recover and she deserves the chance.
I hate seeing these kinds of situations, where there is no obvious "sticks out like a sore thumb" reason behind why a T isn't doing well. Atleast then, you can correct it, right? Please keep us updated, I would definitely like to know how she continues doing. Wish there was more that could be done to help.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
I hate seeing these kinds of situations, where there is no obvious "sticks out like a sore thumb" reason behind why a T isn't doing well. Atleast then if it's obvious, you can correct it, right? Please keep us updated, I would definitely like to know how she continues doing. Wish there was more that could be done to help.

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
As long as she is alive, there is a fighting chance.

I just want to throw in there that you should try to physically manipulate/hold her as little as necessary. I can't imagine the stress of man handling would be fantastic on an already sick T. I know you're just doing all you can to get to the root of the problem, but please believe me when I say TOO much fussing can be just as bad as not enough.

The anus doesn't appear to be blocked - at least to a visibly external point. It's also a good sign she passed some feces, but that's still pretty bizarre that her abdomen is so enlarged, unless she was incredibly obese going into her last molt and just didn't shed all the weight.

Is she still the only T acting ill? Has anyone sprayed any new chemicals around the house, treated pets for fleas/ticks, anything of that sort? Though if something like that were causing issues, it would be odd that she's the only one affected.
Im staying as opimistic as possible.
I wanted to check her rear end and get pics to share that is the only reason i handled her tonight. I know the stress can be just as fatal as illness. I'm using a paint brush on her toes to gain a response.
She can be a bit elusive and i hadnt managed to get many shots before she molted but this one is about 3 weeks after she molted and resurfaced, so about a month ago.
My other ts are still fine. 3 slings (T. albopilosum, B. auratum and C. Versicolor) and an adult B. hamorii are acting normally. To my knowledge nothing has been sprayed in the building but i wouldnt know if they had sprayed in any place but my suite. I don't use candles or spray anything near my ts or my other animals. If i need/decide to i always go to another room. I also have birds so my air quality is pretty important.

Attachments

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
I hate seeing these kinds of situations, where there is no obvious "sticks out like a sore thumb" reason behind why a T isn't doing well. Atleast then, you can correct it, right? Please keep us updated, I would definitely like to know how she continues doing. Wish there was more that could be done to help.
It sure is maddening not knowing what is wrong and how to fix it. I never thought i would become so emotional but i have. She's my gorgeous girl and i just want to best for her. I always have.
I will continue to keep you informed and hopefully my next update will be to report she's recovered and is spidering as she should be.

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
Light bulb... i am seeing someone who has been removing black mold from his basement. Do you think a spore or two may have gotten into her enclosure and caused any of this?

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Light bulb... i am seeing someone who has been removing black mold from his basement. Do you think a spore or two may have gotten into her enclosure and caused any of this?
Hmmm.. do you live in a townhouse or duplex set up? Could it have came through via vents, windows etc.?

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
Hmmm.. do you live in a townhouse or duplex set up? Could it have came through via vents, windows etc.?
He lives a good hour away and said he always showered and wore clean clothes. Im still thinking trace amounts could be problematic even if unlikely.

I'm in an apartment. The windows have been closed for a month or longer as its been pretty cold. Nothing to spray for outside in these freezing temperatures. As for other suites, maybe. I really wouldn't know unless i ask. The last time they treated for bed bugs was well over 2 years ago and it was the floor above me.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
He lives a good hour away and said he always showered and wore clean clothes. Im still thinking trace amounts could be problematic even if unlikely.

I'm in an apartment. The windows have been closed for a month or longer as its been pretty cold. Nothing to spray for outside in these freezing temperatures. As for other suites, maybe. I really wouldn't know unless i ask. The last time they treated for bed bugs was well over 2 years ago and it was the floor above me.
I'd ask maybe your apartment manager if any insecticides have been sprayed in the building lately! The mold thing seems unlikely if the person whom had it lives an hour away.

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
No pesticides have been used on the grounds or within the building in over a year. However, they did have the corridor hallways professionally stream cleaned in October. They would've come up to my door but not inside my suite. Im not sure what type of cleaner they may have used.

Little miss Valentina moved about 2 inches overnight and appeared to still be alive when i left for work this morning. She was still curled up a fair bit except for her back legs, they looked like they were in the normal position.

She's moved 5 inches into a cork bark cave. She still curling her front feet but she's moved a lot more in the past 24 hours than in the last week.

Attachments

Last edited:

LunarDjinn

Arachnopeon
Valentina passed over the weekend. :(
I found a taxidermist who is going to preserve and display her in a frame for me.