Sicarius pairing... finally!

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Those're going to be some nasty little babies, lol. good luck! I find the species absolutely fascinating, if not scary.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dan over here has just bred Sicarius terrosus.
He is on all our forums over here and is also one of our pokie experts.
I think that he is the first in the UK to breed these.
May be worth PM'ing him :)
Paul
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/spiders-inverts/438887-sicarius-terrosus-first-uk-captive.html
Very cool! ;)

As for a PM to me regarding species...
Not sure ...funny brain fart but I do believe these were from Peru. Very likely Sicarius terrosus ...but there are a bunch of species down that way and ive only read ID descriptions comparing hahni vs terrosus which are from worlds apart but do look pretty much the same at least at a glance.

whites inverts

Arachnopeon
:clap: OMG! Well done! :worship: I have been wanting some of these forever : ) If anything comes out of these pairings, I have got to get some of those slings.lol. Good luck on gettin' some nice healthy babies :D

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a Sicarius hahni and terrosus are almost on a par for venom strengh.
In other words,if you do get one,it could kill you quite easily,even as a sling.
I say go for it and enjoy but I would not handle these beasts (best leave that to Buthus :D)
Be careful guys :)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(best leave that to Buthus :D)
Be careful guys :)
This isnt the "2nd" time a statement has been posted like this ...wello..yikes. Id like everyone to understand that I dont sit around handling my spiders. Handling is dangerous to the spiders ...oils, clumsiness etc... ..anyway I'd rather people understand that I posted my occasional "foolery" because i thought it relevant to our(we in the "hobby") understanding things a bit better regarding species behavior while in captivity ...not for spider dumb hobby "fame".
Please stop the sarcastic/humorous reference.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This isnt the "2nd" time a statement has been posted like this ...wello..yikes. Id like everyone to understand that I dont sit around handling my spiders. Handling is dangerous to the spiders ...oils, clumsiness etc... ..anyway I'd rather people understand that I posted my occasional "foolery" because i thought it relevant to our(we in the "hobby") understanding things a bit better regarding species behavior while in captivity ...not for spider dumb hobby "fame".
Please stop the sarcastic/humorous reference.
:D Man...i was in a serious mood when i typed that ... meant to convey more of a humorous tone with a little seriousness. So..here's some smiles: :D:5::D

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Badboy...SEE! shat happens! :eek::D
Ok! 2nd mate attempt (edit:different fem) ...wow...yep! About 4 days living ok with eachother and then bam! Male takes down the girl ...a few hrs after I dug around the sand to see how the pair were doing. My disturbance caused the problem?...maybe, but with the first pairing, there were many check-ups and obviously no problems such as this.
Fun! :rolleyes::clap::rolleyes:

:?:D
Species problem? Vikings didnt make the stupidbowl? Fem not mature? Ahhh!...to only be an expert on spiders and have invert mind reading powers. ;)
BTW... he was less one leg ...she DID put up a fight...so it seems. :p

Last edited:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That does suck... Did you notice anything that looked promising before he took her? Such a shame... fascinating spiders.

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where did you get these spiders Buthus? I've never seen them for sale. They are amazing! I would love to get some. And great job on at least making the attemp at breeding. We'll catch up to those Germans one day:clap:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As buthus needed a break from bugs for a bit, he passed off a few things to me, these included.

I cooled down the male and my female last night, and introduced them around 1pm today. The results are clearly visible below. :cool:

I found it interesting that the male pushed the female completely over on her back(the top of her abdomen was pressed into the sand), I havent seen that in any other spiders. The mating was also surprisingly short, only lasting about 15 minutes total.

Right now I have two females and one male in my care, the female buthus previously mated with that male looks *very* gravid and will hopefully produce a sac any day now... I will update when anything interesting happens, I plan to reintroduce my female with the male sometime over the next few days to see if they will mate again... For those that are interested, a couple more photos can be seen on my flickr which is linked in my signature.

I will say right now, so I am not inundated with PMs, that any slings resulting from these pairings will not be sold by me, nor will I have any part in selling them... These spiders are not all that dangerous, but still... I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to my spiders. :eek:

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome work man:worship: We need more of these in the US. Particularly so I can buy some. I understand you are not selling these offspring. So just as a general statement. When is someone going to have some of these amazing spiders for sale in the US??? I've been searching with no luck:mad:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! That is insane how how the male pushes the female down like that. I hope you get a good sac out of them! No worries... I don't want ANY! :)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where did you get these spiders Buthus?
Got these via Todd Gearheart some time ago. Order was originally for some widows to be collected from the same area, but that collection went askew ..so, I got these instead. ...glad, actually ...turned out all good.

:):):)
Kevin...you the man. Confident..because my spidies are in your hands bro :cool: