Should it be illegal to buy a pet you have no information about

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
I came across this post on Facebook of a couple buying their fist Tarantula it died in 3 days of having it the couple decided that it was the dealers fault and was bashing his business. Here’s the photo that was in the post. I asked them about the enclosure it was in and they also told me they had a light over the enclosure so the T would stay warm also with no hide. I literally told them that everything they did was wrong and that they killed the T themselves. I don’t understand how someone could buy a live animal with zero information about caring for it...makes me sad. Just wanted to share this.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I came across this post on Facebook of a couple buying their fist Tarantula it died in 3 days of having it the couple decided that it was the dealers fault and was bashing his business. Here’s the photo that was in the post. I asked them about the enclosure it was in and they also told me they had a light over the enclosure so the T would stay warm also with no hide. I literally told them that everything they did was wrong and that they killed the T themselves. I don’t understand how someone could buy a live animal with zero information about caring for it...makes me sad. Just wanted to share this.
There will always be things like this. People can be a little thoughtless some times, especially pets, and instead of admitting our faults we double down.

Last edited:

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
OHHHHHHHH POOR THING! :( It should be banned... but how would people know :lol:
Hmm I was thinking about the same thing. Maybe ask the person buying the T 5 simple questions about that species and if they can’t answer 3 out of 5 questions they can’t buy the T.

paccen

Arachnosquire
View attachment 302534 I came across this post on Facebook of a couple buying their fist Tarantula it died in 3 days of having it the couple decided that it was the dealers fault and was bashing his business. Here’s the photo that was in the post. I asked them about the enclosure it was in and they also told me they had a light over the enclosure so the T would stay warm also with no hide. I literally told them that everything they did was wrong and that they killed the T themselves. I don’t understand how someone could buy a live animal with zero information about caring for it...makes me sad. Just wanted to share this.
I'm a newbie, but I own a lot of tarantulas. Then I realized that I didn't understand them and couldn't give them the environment they needed. It was my fault. But now I'm starting to learn about tarantulas, and I hope they're doing just fine with me. And then about what you said, I think the tarantulas are tough, they don't die very easily. Because I haven't raised them to death, even though I have no experience (probably due to good luck), it's hard to know if it's the merchant's fault, isn't it?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Stupidity in general should be illegal. But seriously they basically cooked that poor spider and don’t even recognise it’s their fault. I really hope they give up hobby but unfortunately we all know they’ll probably get another.:banghead:

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
I'm a newbie, but I own a lot of tarantulas. Then I realized that I didn't understand them and couldn't give them the environment they needed. It was my fault. But now I'm starting to learn about tarantulas, and I hope they're doing just fine with me. And then about what you said, I think the tarantulas are tough, they don't die very easily. Because I haven't raised them to death, even though I have no experience (probably due to good luck), it's hard to know if it's the merchant's fault, isn't it?
It’s 100% owners fault putting a T on fish rock with no hide with a heat lamp? Yeah that’s death

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
View attachment 302534 I came across this post on Facebook of a couple buying their fist Tarantula it died in 3 days of having it the couple decided that it was the dealers fault and was bashing his business. Here’s the photo that was in the post. I asked them about the enclosure it was in and they also told me they had a light over the enclosure so the T would stay warm also with no hide. I literally told them that everything they did was wrong and that they killed the T themselves. I don’t understand how someone could buy a live animal with zero information about caring for it...makes me sad. Just wanted to share this.
Did they reply? I mean about the part that they were responsible for killing it.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Maybe ask the person buying the T 5 simple questions about that species and if they can’t answer 3 out of 5 questions they can’t buy the T.
Agreed! I think it is partially the shop keeper's fault as well. Not only the lack of knowledge of some people is shocking, but the lack of common sense is often even more jaw-dropping. Even with zero knowledge of keeping tarantulas, this tank set-up is horrible. Who in his right mind would think that this would be the right way to keep this tarantula. I doubt that the people buying this tarantula came across as mentally capable of caring for a T. stirmi. Who would sell such an advanced species to a bunch of idiots? The shop owner obviously did not care about the tarantula or the people who bought it. He just wanted to make money.

The person who posted the picture on Facebook is obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I think he/she is genuinely disappointed about the spider's death. This could all have been avoided if the shop owner had refused to sell this animal to these people.

Keeping tarantulas seems much more 'mainstream' in the US than in European countries. There are way fewer shops here that sell tarantulas. I think it is for the best that people have to make more effort to get a tarantula here. How many goldfish suffer the same fate as this poor tarantula? It is all because they are so easy to obtain.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
My local store gives out a simple, one page photocopy on basic care, also legally, Australian pet shops now require you to sign a waiver on purchase.
Everyone who can afford a T, can afford to have internet access, online there is almost unlimited information on everything, "I didn't know" is weak excuse IMHO.

Michael Guirov

Arachnopeon
Very similar to an Avic post a few hours ago :(

Its a sticky situation when you combine profit margins and income needs with live animals, its one thing having a "need" to sell material goods and objects to pay the rent but entirely another when the health of an animal is involved.

Maybe including a basic, pre written care sheet, eamiled to each client along with their receipt can help in these situations?

Im not sure dealers can be held responsible but ethics must come into play at some point with live animals right?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It’s 100% owners fault putting a T on fish rock with no hide with a heat lamp? Yeah that’s death
This kind of setup basicly was recommended in the book "Tarantula keepers guide" Maybe they read that? Even 15 years ago i tried to tell newbies not to read it!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Holy shtako, that poor spood ):

I put this at a 60/40 split, in favour of the buyer. Do you know how many times I have stood to the side of the T counter at a local pet store, Googling their annoying common names in order to garner information about a T before deciding if I should purchase it? IT ISN'T HARD TO DO, PEOPLE.

I really wish merchants had more responsibility for their sales. The way the law is written, generally, is that the purchaser is responsible for any knowledge pertinent to the sale. But CLEARLY, people cannot be allowed responsibility for educating themselves to the proper care of a living creature before taking it home.

Ugh. That photo is just heartbreaking. It should really be prefaced with a warning ):

sasker

Arachnoprince
IT ISN'T HARD TO DO, PEOPLE.
Yes, but can people always be held fully accountable for being 'stupid'? I mean, some people are just limited (due to nurture, nature, or a combination of both). They go about buying this spider the same way they go about other choices in life. They do not oversee the consequences of any of their actions.

A good example: the problem of obesity in the US is shocking and it is a growing problem in the EU as well. But whose fault is that? It is up to consumers to decide what they eat and their waist line is their responsibility. But on the other side, they are bombarded with clever marketing, huge food portions and other mechanisms that makes it very hard to stay healthy for anyone. I hope I don't digress too much, but for some things regulation is not such a bad thing.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you do the same thing for cats and dogs sure. Considering cats annihilate local bird and reptile fauna and dogs kill way more people than tarantulas do, it's only reasonable.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, but can people always be held fully accountable for being 'stupid'? I mean, some people are just limited (due to nurture, nature, or a combination of both). They go about buying this spider the same way they go about other choices in life. They do not oversee the consequences of any of their actions.

A good example: the problem of obesity in the US is shocking and it is a growing problem in the EU as well. But whose fault is that? It is up to consumers to decide what they eat and their waist line is their responsibility. But on the other side, they are bombarded with clever marketing, huge food portions and other mechanisms that makes it very hard to stay healthy for anyone. I hope I don't digress too much, but for some things regulation is not such a bad thing.
Oh, I fully agree. The last part of my post states as much - that people cannot handle the responsibility of making informed choices. Because, as you said, it doesn't even occur to them to question anything.

I really wouldn't mind more regulations, on one hand, but on the other hand the people who have power to make regulations are usually clueless on the given subject and put into place laws that only make things worse.