Should I do this?

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
So, I've been thinking about buying a couple of MM's since this old guy across the street wants to give me some Mature Females since he's only ever had "beginner" species and he's trying to get something more... Exotic. I have been considering trying to pair these ladies I've been offered with some MM's I hope to get and maybe sell some slings. Anybody have pairing advice, a source of B. Albopilosum (sp) MM's and a place to sell? He has other females but I'm looking to get his Grammostolas and Brachypelmas. I've wanted to do this ever since I was a kid and I'm so excited. Nothing is definite yet.

sasker

Arachnoprince
How long have you been keeping tarantulas? If I were you I would take these females off your neighbour's hands if the price is right, but wait a little before any breeding attempt. You can still consider breeding them at a later moment and there is plenty of time. Provided the pairing is successful, do you have the time, space and permission from your parents (I see you are 15 years of age :D) to care for hundreds of slings?

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
How long have you been keeping tarantulas? If I were you I would take these females off your neighbour's hands if the price is right, but wait a little before any breeding attempt. You can still consider breeding them at a later moment and there is plenty of time. Provided the pairing is successful, do you have the time, space and permission from your parents (I see you are 15 years of age :D) to care for hundreds of slings?
I have lots of time. We have an empty garage up in the garden that is heated. My parents are OK with it. I've had my T since last May. The neighbour is a family friend and wants to give the T's for free- my Brachypelma was a birthday gift from him. He sells T's and gives them away locally. I do think it's his only source of income, or at least the one he is most proud of. Great guy. Now that I mention it, he could come onto the forum and sell on here right?

wait a little before any breeding attempt
I was going to give them time to settle in and etc before attempting to pair.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Wow, I wish I had a neighbour like him! If he has experience breeding Ts I am sure he can help you. Keep us posted about the progress! :)

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Wow, I wish I had a neighbour like him! If he has experience breeding Ts I am sure he can help you. Keep us posted about the progress! :)
He's such a good guy, too! You just go to his house if you want a T. He even asks for what breed and "age" you want. I will keep you posted!

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anybody have pairing advice, a source of B. Albopilosum (sp)
My advice would to not breed this species, they are so commonly available that it's not worth it. You will have a vey hard time selling these even at wholesale prices, they produce fairly large sacks somewhere between 250-800 slings. Every spider dealer in Europe has B. albopilosum slings available for a very low price, spidersworld.eu used to sell them for 1.5 euros for the hobby form and 3 euros for the Nicaraguans. In most cases they are given away as freebies.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
My advice would to not breed this species, they are so commonly available that it's not worth it. You will have a vey hard time selling these even at wholesale prices, they produce fairly large sacks somewhere between 250-800 slings. Every spider dealer in Europe has B. albopilosum slings available for a very low price, spidersworld.eu used to sell them for 1.5 euros for the hobby form and 3 euros for the Nicaraguans. In most cases they are given away as freebies.
Okay. Any species suggestions?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Any species suggestions?
Go with something like a C. versicolor, they're meant to be easy to breed, don't have huge sacs, sell for a decent price and are easy to get rid of because they're always in demand. Basically everything you want from a starter project.

P.cambridgei
Cams are practically worthless here because everyone breeds them, they're regularly sold for like £1 each or given away as freebies.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Go with something like a C. versicolor, they're meant to be easy to breed, don't have huge sacs, sell for a decent price and are easy to get rid of because they're always in demand. Basically everything you want from a starter project.

Cams are practically worthless here because everyone breeds them, they're regularly sold for like £1 each or given away as freebies.
Thanks for the advice, Arachnosaviour.