She's a hunter!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This isn't important but I got excited. Last night, I witnessed my H. mac's first hunting kill. When I got home from work, about 11, she was out on her nightly excursion. I wanted to do a little burrow maintenance and clean out any cricket boluses but she was on the front door. I went about my own business and when I passed her tank again, she had moved to the back of her tank behind a big piece of corkbark. I decided to take a chance and go into her burrow. I tried to keep an eye on her while I worked, not that it would have mattered. She's too fast, really. But I finished, found no boluses (I still don't understand that) and figured, what the heck, I'll throw a coupla crickets in with her. I almost walked away figuring she would be too scared from me banging around in her tank but I'm glad I didnt. She was about 6" up on the glass in the back, just chillin. A cricket walked around the tank and came under her. I was hoping beyond hope that she'd run down and grab it. But it kept walking by and my hopes were falling. Just as it started to get past her below her, she exploded! She didn't run down on it, she didn't fall on it, she LAUNCHED herself at it. She impacted so hard, I could hear it. She hit the cricket, bounced/rolled onto her back, and then back onto her feet. It all happened so fast, I almost couldn't see it. Then she carried it up into the corkbark and proudly feasted. I was so happy to finally see her actually catch a cricket I didn't put in her burrow. And yes, I am a dork :D :} :D

And this morning, there is no bolus anywhere :confused:

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You're not a dork, that's awesome. When I get my first T, I am probably going to be just as excited.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is pretty cool. I had a G. aureostriata jump off his pot and onto a cricket a few inches away and grab it! I set the tank on the floor since I was doing a demostration for my cousin and his daughter and when the T jumped on the cricket, he crashed into the wall of the tank and it made a loud thump and moved the tank about 1/2". Most definitely awesome!

As for no boluses, nothing to worry about (as far as I know). Some of my Ts don't leave anything behind most times they eat.

Triggerman73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is pretty cool. I had a G. aureostriata jump off his pot and onto a cricket a few inches away and grab it!
since when was it ok to give Ts pot? lol jk :p sounds pretty sweet, i wish my Ts were as motivated as that. My B. albiceps just walks over it and takes it gently.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yeah, I geek out on these tarantulas. I just wish I could get more. I always wanted a T that could jump and tackle prey and when I saw pandora do it, I got excited. I'll have to keep my eyes open for more opportunities. Now, if I can just get her flying prey, I'll be beside myself :D