Shallow desert substrate

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
So I've been watching some of the YouTube channels that have been suggested (for instance The Spiderman) on here as well as some other videos I've come across. I've noticed a lot of enthusiasts keep their scorpion in rubs, which is cool obvs. My question really is, the substrate on a lot of these seems quite shallow with a hide or two etc (for instance deathstalker), so are these setups good to keep? Just after some more information on my observation really. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
P.S. Sorry for the numerous random posts, I'm pretty new to the scorpion keeping life (previously kept lizards) and just want first hand information from people that are currently kicking about on this forum! Forums are for posting on I suppose!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Yeah, seen. How does that work out for the species though
It is generally taken well. Most species of desert scorpion make burrows only if there are no hides. Usually, species like the deathstalker will use the hide as its "burrow" and dig a little around and underneath it. They don't seem to mind IME, just make sure the hide is snug and dark :)

Mila

Arachnoknight
Think of a sand desert. Baron wastelands with nothing but sand for many hundreds of metres. Imagine being the size of a scorpion and walking 400 metres that's like a half marathon for us so they evolved to burrow instead of seek out a rock to hide under so it saves energy.

A scorpion really couldn't care if it's a metre underground a sand dune or hiding under a Big Mac box as long as it feels safe

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Think of a sand desert. Baron wastelands with nothing but sand for many hundreds of metres. Imagine being the size of a scorpion and walking 400 metres that's like a half marathon for us so they evolved to burrow instead of seek out a rock to hide under so it saves energy.

A scorpion really couldn't care if it's a metre underground a sand dune or hiding under a Big Mac box as long as it feels safe
What do you keep? Noticed you're in England too, so inquisitive

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Anyone have ideas of a small scorp that would suit this type of setup? I say small as I have two large type setups already

Mila

Arachnoknight
What do you keep? Noticed you're in England too, so inquisitive
2x blue Forrest scorpions 2nd instar. Pretty easy to keep so far. I just keep them in a small plastic container with spagnum moss and spray them down once a day. they've not fed yet but only had them a few days

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you mix in a little bit of cocofiber you should be able to keep Paravaejovis without much issue. They stay pretty small and as long as there's something for them to hide under they'll be quite happy. Some desert species won't be happy unless the substrate is deep enough for burrowing, but fortunately most species do very well with just a hide or two, doubly so if it's pressed down into the substrate and they can create a little burrow underneath it.