Sex my Striata

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone might want to help me try to determine the sex of my 3" P.Striata?Unfornately,Im thinking male.What do you all say?Thanks for any input....Rich

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it looks male but i wouldnt count female out cause i can kindof see a bump but im not sure

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd say thats an easy call as a male because of the easy to identify spermicatha, or however they are spelled. :p

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Washout said:
I'd say thats an easy call as a male because of the easy to identify spermicatha, or however they are spelled. :p
Its spermatheca (or spermathecae plural) - problem is, they are a female structure and they're internal as their function is to store sperm until fertilisation. I'm no expert on sexing Poecilotheria externally but there is a thickening of the epigastric furrow where the external openening to the spermathecae would be so I would say female. However, you should wait for someone actually experienced at sexing Pokies instead of taking my guess.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To be sure, I'd get the next molt and post pics of that.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WayneT said:
To be sure, I'd get the next molt and post pics of that.
Im good at sexing with the recent shedded skin but not so great at ventral shots.Hopefully Ill be able to get the next one out of the cage before the spider damages it too much.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know about gender. But the light colored band between the book lungs would indicate that you have a P.regalis.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
David Burns said:
I don't know about gender. But the light colored band between the book lungs would indicate that you have a P.regalis.
I would agree here. Looks like you've got yourself a P. regalis there.

Later,

Jake

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Its spermatheca (or spermathecae plural) - problem is, they are a female structure and they're internal as their function is to store sperm until fertilisation. I'm no expert on sexing Poecilotheria externally but there is a thickening of the epigastric furrow where the external openening to the spermathecae would be so I would say female. However, you should wait for someone actually experienced at sexing Pokies instead of taking my guess.
I'm using the wrong name then. What are the male spinerettes that surround the area where it exudes the sperm called?

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Burns

I would agree here. Looks like you've got yourself a P. regalis there.

Later,

Jake
Juvenile striata's can also have this belly band.

Robert

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah i was going to say thats not regalis cause it doesnt have the yellow on the underside of the legs

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
It's funny cause it's so easy to remember that when you'r Greek :D
theca ~ thiki(modern Greek) ~ case, shack etc.
Sperma ~ you get that....:):)

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Washout said:
I'm using the wrong name then. What are the male spinerettes that surround the area where it exudes the sperm called?
>>epiandrous glands/fuscillae

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
usumbaraboy said:
yeah i was going to say thats not regalis cause it doesnt have the yellow on the underside of the legs
Both regalis and striata have yellow leg pattern ventrally. And I can see some yellow on the picture.

Robert

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, Robert is right, P. striata can have the belly band as juvs, but it disappears as adults. As for gender, Looks pretty female to me :D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Washout said:
You're thinking of epiandrous fusilae - which look like dark "nose hairs", usually in a 'V' or 'U' shape, sometimes a patch, but *not* just two white spots.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So,I guess were kinda split on the sex.Im pretty sure its Striata tho.I know they can have the belly band as a juvie and I got it from a very reliable person.I guess Ill have to wait for the next molt to be sure of the sex.Thanks for all the replies folks.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Washout said:
I might be wrong AGAIN but aren't the epiandrous fusilae used to spin the sperm web? While the sperm comes from the epigastric furrow?