Sex my scorpions , and mites ??

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just cleaned their tanks due to a mite problem, and i noticed little bubbles on them... If they are , how do i get them off the scorpion?

Also there is never any uneaten food in their cages that i dont pick up or they dont eat all of it.

CaptainDribsong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is this a . imperator? If so, it's female.
I've never had a problem with mites, but try a small, soft-bristled paintbrush and just brush them off.

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes empers scorps both are female? And thoes bubbles ARE mites??im allergic to bes , i do have a epipen , but how do i keep her turned over? Or can i leave them on there?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would disagree with brushing them off. For more info refer to the Tarantula Keepers Guide by Shultz and Shultz, published by barrons. There are two main recommendations made and all information applies to scorps too imo.

1. You can make a clean dry container. Rehouse. Clean the heck out of cage with bleach 10%+ solution. Dry completely. Remake with dry substrate. Rehouse. Clean Temp container with bleach.... Repeat, Repeat

2. This is the way to go if you can afford it, especially if you have a large collection. Hypoaspis Miles is a predatory mite that will only eat bad mites then die off.
They cost around $50-$60 shipped, but often take 10-14 days to receive, so if you can afford them, and want them, order them asap. Google them and read up.

**Even if you are getting H. miles, I would recommend a cage clean with bleach and dry and rehouse BEFORE releasing H. miles. I would then watch and see how it goes. They also need a little humidity I think, so you will have to keep the cage a little moist for them to kick into action.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

SandyMuffinCakes94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just cleaned their tank this weekend using zoo med terrarium disinfectant cleaner and boiling hot water, if i do it again isn't it going to stress them out? they are on the scorpions ?? i don't understand how if i clean the tank the mites will not be there , how are emperor scorpions supposed to live in a dry climate? and for how long can they? I need more information than this before i subject my pets into something that could be harmful to them. Id hope you understand.

And no i cannot afford no 60 dollar bug thing mite. someone just needs to invent a mite off that is safe for tarantulas heh cause this is getting ridiculous.

I dont have any bleach, i only have the terrarium cleaner by zoomed

# Easy to use disinfectant, cleaner, and deodorizer wipes out a broad spectrum of bacteria, including salmonella, in terrariums and small animal cages

# Regular use can reduce the spread of bacterial infections in your animals
Active Ingredients: Alkyl (C14 50%, C12 40%, C16 10%) Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride 0.13%

Inert Ingredients: 99.87%.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have that stuff but I hate the way it smells and well I gotta buy bleach anyway for the clothes. Duct tape laid around the tank helps a little too. Not 100% but a little. FYI their back. In the hisser cage now.:rolleyes:

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, the emp(s) is female.

did you bring any outside material into your enclosure?
that's how my P. cavi got mites.
if you did, make sure you bake the items in the oven

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mites are everywhere. There are sooo many species, some like us, others like scorpions. They don't appear out of thin air. They also rarely have anything to do with how "clean" the cage/room/house is. (You should keep it clean for other reasons!) They can come from your woods you go walking in. They can come in with w/c or cb if they have them. They could come in with feeders or on your dog. Or your clothes after you petted a dog. Or just about anywhere.
Point is, they are everywhere and they happen. Do follow instructions from people on here and you will LIMIT your chances. (Isolate new arrivals, etc)
But even then you can still get them. Just get on fixing it, cause they can kill.
But if you jump on the case and do it right, you can save them. Find balance, and relax.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mites in water bowl not on scorpion

for some reason i get mite in my empys cage to they dont get on him but they always seem to find their way into his water bowl :wall: i clean his cage out the second i find pooo or left over food and i keep his cage humid and moist the way he likes it very happy :clap: and i dont know why i keep getting the little boogers but as long as they are not on him its all giddy to me i think {D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mite killer

also i have been told that u could use rubbing alcohol to kill the mites just use a q-tip dip in rubbing alcohol and then dip in water to dilute it idk if it work or if its harmful u might ask around i never tried it but i had a guy that worked at a zoo that took care of scorpions tell me thats how he does it but u better ask around first before hand

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you sure they are mites? look at them under magnification. If they look like baby crickets, they are springtails and harmless. Probably not mites. Also, if they are mites, but not on the scorpion, (and have been in there with it a while with no change), then they aren't BAD mites, and you COULD send them to be identified, but you should be fine if they aren't on it. (EX: H. miles, if you find those, you would want to leave them!) <----To the point you would want to innoculate your substrate if you move to a bigger container!

for some reason i get mite in my empys cage to they dont get on him but they always seem to find their way into his water bowl :wall: i clean his cage out the second i find pooo or left over food and i keep his cage humid and moist the way he likes it very happy :clap: and i dont know why i keep getting the little boogers but as long as they are not on him its all giddy to me i think {D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure they are mites? look at them under magnification. If they look like baby crickets, they are springtails and harmless. Probably not mites. Also, if they are mites, but not on the scorpion, (and have been in there with it a while with no change), then they aren't BAD mites, and you COULD send them to be identified, but you should be fine if they aren't on it. (EX: H. miles, if you find those, you would want to leave them!) <----To the point you would want to innoculate your substrate if you move to a bigger container!
well they arent crickets because they are living in the water u can see them floating around and moving in the water they are very tiny but there is a big cluster of them i dont know what kind they are but i do know they are mite maybe but i do know tthey are not crickets because the crickets die (drown) in the water and i dont know where i would send them to see what they are:confused:

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That bleach clean bleach clean is overkillx99999. All you need to do is let the enclosure dry out completely and keep a full water dish.

As for "mites in the water dish" from other poster, those are probly springtails. They are beneficial.

ryan88

Arachnopeon
Those are mites. If you try to brush them off, you'll see them moving about. Throw away the substrate and clean the container. Rehouse them on dry substrate for the mean time and place a water dish. The mites will go down and find the closest source of water and then drown. If you have other inverts aside from them, you better isolate them first.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't buy the vasaline trick. I do for lice. I see mites moving in the hisser bin all the time over the vasaline around the sides and it's pretty thick and wide. I go over kill on climbing roaches. Like a thicky boarder that almost runs with the slightest amount of heat and 4 inches from the top is coated in it. If you coat the scorpion in it you will sufficate the mites and the scorpion most likely. Get it on a book lung and it's like putting something (like your fingers) over your nose but, it cant breath through it's mouth.

Alcohol well think about it how to kill a bug in the feild for later tacking it. Drop in alcohol covered cotton ball. {D I do this for bugs I find for an entomoligist friend and find it to be really effective. Needs to be kept dead in perfict condition so instead of wagging around a bottle of alcohol I use the wipes and they seem to work just as good no matter how wet they are. If it will kill mites (a bug) it will kill your scorpion or T (a bug).

Mites are so very common as Ryan said already. Just keep the numbers down. They are never totaly gone. Most of them just eat dead stuff and junk.
Think like dust mites they eat skins cells that fall off us. Yuck but without them thered be tons more dead skins cells laying around. They dont bite us but feed off our junk. Mites live and bread on everything. Just try to keep the numbers down and try to determine good from bad. Correct me if I'm wrong white can be a pest in numbers but good/ brown is bad.

"Mites" in the water dish are usually springtails. Their good bugs and not really cheep to buy. What ryan means is do they "look" like crickets ie long and skinny? Springtails are tiny like mites but are longer and more skinny. Mites are fat and round.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mites in water

Ok first off you are right about the alcohol I didnt think about that good thing I never tried it for my Scorpion :wall:.... And the little bugs that are in my water dish IDK for sure what they are.. But they are tiny and white... Cant really see what shape they are.. being that they are soo tiny.. But since you say white is good as long as they dont over-run the tank.. YAY!! they are in low numbers..

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok first off you are right about the alcohol I didnt think about that good thing I never tried it for my Scorpion :wall:.... And the little bugs that are in my water dish IDK for sure what they are.. But they are tiny and white... Cant really see what shape they are.. being that they are soo tiny.. But since you say white is good as long as they dont over-run the tank.. YAY!! they are in low numbers..
I got a better look at them in the frog tank than the t and scorp tanks. They kinda did this whole flick jump thing from the water to the wet substrate. {D Try a magnifying glass maybe.???