Setting up an Ephebopus uatuman enclosure.

Charles McCarty

Arachnopeon
So I'm getting an Ephebopus uatuman around the 23rd(FearNotTarantula pre-import sale), and just wanted to get a sanity check on what I have setup so far.

It's a 3.5 cm body length sub-adult female (I'm guessing around 3.75" DLS). The habitat I have is a Exo Terra Faunarium (Large 14 1/2” x 8 1/2” x 10”). For the substrate I have a mixture of things.

The substrate consists of a bag of Reptisoil, some leftover ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II, and some coco coir. I also have some heat treated driftwood snugly setup to act like roots of a tree. Around 7 1/2 - 8" of substrate total.

With the warm temperature (75-80f) and high humidity around 75%) I figured a good clean up crew would be necessary. So I got some Springtails (Folsomia candida), and some Dwarf Tropical White Isopods (Trichorhina tomentosa). I still need a bit of leaf litter, but I do have some CUC Cuisine from Josh's Frogs to feed the isopods and springtails till the tarantula produces some waste for them to eat.

So what do you guys think. Am I doing it right or is there some critical flaw I'm missing? Here's a quick video of what it looks like so far.
At the end of the video you can see my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens eating as well :)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't be mad with temperatures and humidity - the substrate for this species needs to be moist, but never wet.
Remove those gauges you placed in, they are not only useless, but deceiving.

Can't help about the "cleaning squad" because I've never used Isopods in 25 years of T's keeping :)

Charles McCarty

Arachnopeon
Yeah I wasn't too sure about that those gauges. Any idea on what I should replace them with?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Yeah I wasn't too sure about that those gauges. Any idea on what I should replace them with?
Don't use gauges at all Ts are not humidity dependant they go by dry sub or damp sub and just keep a water dish full and as for temperature room temp is fine so no need for a thermometer. For that species just do what @Chris LXXIX Said and you will be fine

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ditch the temp/humidity gauge, just keep the substrate moist (not soaking wet) and you're good. I'd add some anchor points outside the burrow entrance as well, they'll sometimes build a funnel which they'll incorporate moss/leaf litter into.

View media item 47487

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
While this one is Ephebopus cyanognathus, not Ephebopus uatuman, but I don’t think it’s care would be different from each other at all. I recently rehoused it into larger enclosure.

7789E1DF-0EDE-44C5-8C8A-D238CABB792D.jpeg

1372B9C0-1960-4E78-856A-A29E2DB0E0E8.jpeg

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your substrate looks really wet, but it'll dry out a bit and be fine... no need to keep it that moist all the time (I add more water when the top inch or two gets completely dry), and no need for the gauges. Otherwise sounds like you're all set! Very nice species.