Serious question this time--will you help please

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My little A.Avic (spooks) who I had problems with eating a few weeks ago finally shed her exo on Boxing day, it was a nice tidy shed & i have sexed her as a little girl.
I have not fed her yet as i like to wait for 7 days after shed before feeding.
Her old skin measures aprox 3" + from tip of right front leg to tip of back left leg.
But since she chucked her skin she has sat all curled up on the back wall of her viv.
She is very very small-a lot smaller than before the shed:confused:
Her legs are semi tucked in & i am very worried for her.
She has a lovelly tempremant & always been happy to come out.
All her limbs are intact & she looks quite normal physically but not normal in stance.
Her home is a proper terra arboreal tank & heat is always 65-75 degs, she is on 'dry' substrate & misted everyday & also has a water dish.
I think i've covered everything you may need to know.
Please can anyone give any advice on this or has any of you had the same sorta thing?
I really dont wanna lose her as she was my first Avic & is so sweet.
Jay xxx

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had the same thing happen with my A. avic. I was sure she was gonna die, but she didn't. She wouldn't eat for weeks afterwards, but after she had drunken alot of water, she slowly came back. For a long time she would only eat pre-killed prey that I put in her web. 3 months later she molted again (a BIG surprise) and seemed alright. She's not eating again now. I don't know what to think! Make sure yours has plenty of fresh water easily accesible, and let us know what happens.

DanCameron

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your A. avic should be alright. After a couple of my other species acted the same way and looked a lot smaller, but they got fatter and are doing just great! And waiting one week after they molt to feed them is a good idea (is what I do), just make sure they have plenty of water.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Really not much to do FOX, but wait it out. None of my avics are great eaters, and since I am now using roaches exclusively for food, they eat less often. I assume the roaches are "meatier" than the crix, so they stay sated longer. Everything sounds fine. I also notice a general slow down of eating in the colder months. Let us know!

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gesticulator said:
Really not much to do FOX, but wait it out. None of my avics are great eaters, and since I am now using roaches exclusively for food, they eat less often. I assume the roaches are "meatier" than the crix, so they stay sated longer. Everything sounds fine. I also notice a general slow down of eating in the colder months. Let us know!

My new Avic 'Chucky' has a ferocious appetite, she is a little toe rag with a huge brain--but little 'Spooks' has never been a good eater, she's worse today than yesterday, all her legs are semi folded under her but she's still clinging to the side of the viv. I just dont know what to do, I thought about taking her out & sitting her in a shallow water dish but i dont know if that would be the right sorta thing to do.
I've had a really bad new years day wondering around & looking in her tank all the time- I just pray she pulls thru.:(

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's a crappy way to start off the new year. Best of luck with your T.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Put her in ICU. Put her in a tank with no substrat, just a paper towel and with an eye dropper, drip water directly onto her mouth. Good luck. I hope she pulls through for you.

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Varden said:
Put her in ICU. Put her in a tank with no substrat, just a paper towel and with an eye dropper, drip water directly onto her mouth. Good luck. I hope she pulls through for you.

I didn't want to upset her too much so i used the eye dropper like you said while she was in her own tank, with the first drop off water on her palps she fell straight off the side on to the sub, she's ok though, the second drop of water her front left leg started shaking, i have given her about another 3 drops, she just turns away really slowly.
I am so frustrated & near to tears now.:( :( :(

Becky Wheeler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awww mate,

If you can get her out and put her in a ventilated tub, one that crickets come in would be great! and place some paper towel on the bottom of the tub and wet it, but not really wet!, just damp. And leave her in there for 24 hours and see how she is.

That's all you can really do mate. I know how you feel, I have a rosie male who looks like he's coming to the end of his life and there's nothing i can do. He was my first Tarantula aswell.

Good luck mate and let us know what happens.

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Becky Wheeler said:
Awww mate,

If you can get her out and put her in a ventilated tub, one that crickets come in would be great! and place some paper towel on the bottom of the tub and wet it, but not really wet!, just damp. And leave her in there for 24 hours and see how she is.

That's all you can really do mate. I know how you feel, I have a rosie male who looks like he's coming to the end of his life and there's nothing i can do. He was my first Tarantula aswell.

Good luck mate and let us know what happens.
Hiya Becky & thanks, I can do that, i will try anything, shall i put the hospital tank inside her terranium as that is heated. I have just also give her a cricket but i pulled all the legs off the crix first, she just turned away from it.
The odd thing is that when she does move her legs look & work normal, its when she stops they curl up! She is only moving slower than snail pace though.:( Jay

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How long have you had spooks for? is there any mold in its cage that could be making it sick?

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
-palau- said:
How long have you had spooks for? is there any mold in its cage that could be making it sick?
I got Spooks beginning November, she has never been a good eater.
Her viv is very clean no mold. She has a large sterile log to climb up plus some plastic ivy stuck to one side with a sucker, a water dish & 2" sub.

She has moved since lastnight but only to the back of her tank, she's still on the floor with her face touching the back wall.
Legs are still half curled under.:(

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A bit better news, she is sat in her water bowl now, it evaporates at an alarming rate so i filled it up with her sat in it--she never moved.
About 20 minutes ago i went & checked & it had evaporated so i lifted the water dish out with her sat in it & she still never moved.
I put in another dish with water then put her & the origional one back in.

One very poorly little spider but now with a glimmer of hope.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's good news,Fox- as I said earlier,my avic made a comeback after she had a couple of drinks! Hopefully yours will,too- though it may still take awhile. Keep us informed!

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you use purified water, or city water to mist and water spooks. if its city water maybe there is chlorine or some other chemical making spooks sick. i used city water on one of my scorpions before, but switched to ro water because I thought it was safer