Separating your baby feeder roaches from the adults - video

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
awesome info....thank you so much for that, we have been trying to figure out the best way....now what about lateralis? lol that would be a video worth making ;-)

Ihaggerty1313

Arachnopeon
I guess just big enough so that the adults wouldn't fall thru. AND a friend on another forum pointed out that if someone doesn't have a TON of Dubia that you CAN use smaller plasitic pails like ice cream buckets. Thought that was a good ad on as well.

-Ian
www.theroachranch.com

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Touche' sir touche'...smaller holes i suppose would be the best, but are we talking like pin holes...cuz that would suck lol.
The trick with lats is separating the egg cases before they hatch. You then can keep them in a humid container in the colony or incubate them separately.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How do you care for first and second instar nymphs if they dig under the substrate and never seem to emerge. I would be afraid i'm squishing them by accident or they are not eating enough.

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great video Ian, clever idea.:cool:
my colony is blowing up dude, thanks again :worship:

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Jolly nice video, Ian ~

Works well with non climbers, but perhaps you'd spread some Vaseline or similar around the bottom tub if you have, say, Naphoeta cinerea?

Also, why are you separating the nymphs? Is it for selling or perhaps to preserve the colony?

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How do you care for first and second instar nymphs if they dig under the substrate and never seem to emerge. I would be afraid i'm squishing them by accident or they are not eating enough.
They emerge when the colony is very quiet, and are cared for by the adults and some nymphs, so you don't have to be concerned with feeding.

A certain amount of squishing will of course occur, but less occurs under the substrate than on top, surprisingly enough.

Personally I don't use any substrate in my B. dubia colonies, as cleaning times are far longer with substrate...;)

Ihaggerty1313

Arachnopeon
Jolly nice video, Ian ~

Works well with non climbers, but perhaps you'd spread some Vaseline or similar around the bottom tub if you have, say, Naphoeta cinerea?

Also, why are you separating the nymphs? Is it for selling or perhaps to preserve the colony?

I personally don't like vasoline. It's too messy for me. As for separating the nymphs this is probably the most common question I get asked. Reason for me is exactly what you assumed. It saves me a TON of time getting specific sizes together for my customer.

For the customer, sorting nymphs serves as organization and saving time when they need certain feeders for certain animals. I have quite a few customers who have BIG collections and if they didn't sort nymphs once a month or so their colonies would just be all over the place and they'd have to sift thru finding the correct sizes, holdbacks, ect.

-Ian
www.theroachranch.com

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I personally don't like vasoline. It's too messy for me. As for separating the nymphs this is probably the most common question I get asked. Reason for me is exactly what you assumed. It saves me a TON of time getting specific sizes together for my customer.

For the customer, sorting nymphs serves as organization and saving time when they need certain feeders for certain animals. I have quite a few customers who have BIG collections and if they didn't sort nymphs once a month or so their colonies would just be all over the place and they'd have to sift thru finding the correct sizes, holdbacks, ect.

-Ian
www.theroachranch.com
Sweet, thanks!

What do you do when sorting climbers, mate?