Scorps for Sale these days..Am I missing something or are we missing variety?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it my imagination, or are the scorps being offered in the US these days sort of slim on the pickings side? Seemed like there was tons more to choose from just a year or two ago.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a decline in variety and whether anyone out there know importers who can make some changes :)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL, we were saying that last year as well. It seems that there was aways "a few more" years ago. The problem is that no one imports scorpions. A bad economy isn't making it any easier.

John

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The economy has a lot to do with it like john said. That along with
European countries being connected by land to countries where the species originally come from, In an economy like this people aren't worrying about shipping bugs over here.

This is what i think, I haven't been in this hobby more then a year. There could be a one word answer for your question :)

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The economy has a lot to do with it like john said. That along with
European countries being connected by land to countries where the species originally come from, In an economy like this people aren't worrying about shipping bugs over here.

This is what i think, I haven't been in this hobby more then a year. There could be a one word answer for your question :)
Not really.
Europeans, for some reason, have lots of Central and south american species.

Tityus... Centruroides...

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It does not help that T's are more popular than Scorps so the demand is not there.:(

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not really.
Europeans, for some reason, have lots of Central and south american species.

Tityus... Centruroides...
I thought of hottentotta when i first read this thread title, but i guess they have as much centruroides and tityus as they do hottentotta.

Goon_CH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here in Europe are actually very many Central American and South American scorpions in the hobby. I even dare to say regardless of species or even more than with you in the U.S..

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it easier to import to Europe legally from central America?

Goon_CH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whether the import is easier? No idea how it is with you. If the animals are not protected, so only a few eh Pandinus spp, the import is actually no problem at all.

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, well a few species popped up this summer that we didn't have before. (In the US). I know of a few that were sold quickly, the first 3-4 batches of 1st/2nd instar.. and then their sales slowed down.

All I can say is, I've wanted more.. but taking care of 50+ animals takes a lot of time. We certainly have had more Tityus, Hottentotta.. but then again we are talking about 1-2 species for 2-3 genus. Some might say that is good, but similar species that require a careful eye to tell apart... eh.

mattatat

Arachnopeon
yeah not even the sites have a very good selection......but at least i have an expo full of scorps to look forward to {D

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it easier to import to Europe legally from central America?
Who says legal???? All CA, Caribbean and SA countries require collecting permits. I highly doubt the species in Europe were collected and exported legally.

Jeremy

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I actually had a European contact me recently asking to do a large trade, and they would pay for me to be permitted. I don't know have the time or ability for a lot of reasons right now, and I don't know if they were aware of just how much the permits cost,... But I think for anyone willing to go collect, you can get all sorts of stuff. If you have enough, you could make it worth it for some one to help you with the permits. But you need the space, time, contacts, reputation, A TON of rare U.S. species, etc...

And you have to be willing to just get some new species out of it. While that would be great... Not many who can fill the above requirements can afford the time collecting, permitting, and making the trade just for some new species. I would have to charge obscene amounts to make it worth my time. And that's no fun. Eventually, I am going to figure something out. But in the meantime I have to pack for a move and work. :eek:

I'm planning on getting my permit within a year if all goes well. If I can get that accomplished, I will help people make trades and purchases, as long as you make it easy on me. Keep in mind though, that's thousands of dolllars. So it's going to take a while. I'm HOPING a year. :D

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For most countries, a hobbyist can't get a permit. They are scientific permits only. The US is an exception. As long as you stay out of protected areas, you can collect.

I don't know what permit this European contact was going to purchase, but they simply do not exist. All the Mexican, Cuban, South American (except for Chile which were exported), Brazilian, Indian, and many other species were illegally obtained in the hobby. This goes for tarantulas too. When I get permits, they are almost always for dead specimens only. BTW, I work at the American Museum of Natural History. It takes months of planning and paperwork for scientific permits.

Jeremy

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For most countries, a hobbyist can't get a permit. They are scientific permits only. The US is an exception. As long as you stay out of protected areas, you can collect.

I don't know what permit this European contact was going to purchase, but they simply do not exist. All the Mexican, Cuban, South American (except for Chile which were exported), Brazilian, Indian, and many other species were illegally obtained in the hobby. This goes for tarantulas too. When I get permits, they are almost always for dead specimens only. BTW, I work at the American Museum of Natural History. It takes months of planning and paperwork for scientific permits.

Jeremy
Venezuela and Peru are the only South American countries now that are not closed for export of animals. Chili is now also closed. Like Jeremy explained, getting permits is very timeconsuming and a lot of work. Permits are not given to private persons or maybe in very, very exceptional cases (I can'tthink of one). This also depends highly on local and national laws.

Cheers, Michiel

Jeremy Huff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Michiel,

Are you sure that Venezuela is open? To my knowledge it hasn't been open for decades. We had an extremely difficult time trying to get permits.

Jeremy

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Michiel,

Are you sure that Venezuela is open? To my knowledge it hasn't been open for decades. We had an extremely difficult time trying to get permits.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I have to admit that I just reproduced what a certain scorpiologist told me last year, thanks for your information.

Regards,

Michiel

Zach Valois

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Michiel,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy and all,

As far as I know from a peer importer/exporter, Venezuela is closed. I have seen Peru exports, and he gets theraphosid and herp imports from Guiana with ease; at least, use to. Luckily he saw the bad sides of supporting that industry facet.
Papers from Guiana on collecting scorpions and sending with regular animal exports is not set up currently. On the contrary, would we have bought them, that exporter would send out scorpions regardless. Money walks in some cases.