Scorpions in TN?

White Widow

Arachnopeon
Who here from TN goes scorpion hunting? Where can I find them? I believe we have 2 species here, one's native, another that was introduced on accident.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had a friend around Chattanooga, a little south of it I think, tell me shes seen/been stung by Gracilis before. We got around to chatting about my pets and I was showing pictures and she mentioned shes seen them before out by wood piles.

I've never seen proof of them before and I don't know anyone else around here whose found them there (or even looked?)....but that gives you a possible area to check out.

Malcara

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive seen one

Back when I was 11 yrs old (22 now) my family went camping in the smokeys we were an hour or 2 from Ober Gatlinburg I thinks thats how its spelled anyway. The campground was called Jellystone. I've always been an exploring type so one day on the trip I went out exploring and came across a brown colored 2-3" scorpion with babies on her back. Probably some type of bark scorpion but thats the only one I ever saw. It was late afternoon and it was under a rock.

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I remember correctly there's a species that only lives in the Oak Ridge area, nowhere else in the country.

Someone probably can direct you to the thread where it was discussed...

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Back when I was 11 yrs old (22 now) my family went camping in the smokeys we were an hour or 2 from Ober Gatlinburg I thinks thats how its spelled anyway. The campground was called Jellystone. I've always been an exploring type so one day on the trip I went out exploring and came across a brown colored 2-3" scorpion with babies on her back. Probably some type of bark scorpion but thats the only one I ever saw. It was late afternoon and it was under a rock.
Probably c. vittatus, it's a 3" brown scorpion with black lines, which you wouldn't have seen with the babies. This species was introduced and does have a population. I have found a few in the Cades Cove area and in the park, I didn't collect any though.

Vaejovis carolinianus is the only true local species to Tennessee, I haven't found one but I don't go scorpion hunting so much.

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i actually went scorp hunting today...with no luck lol but i have saw 3 scorpions in my area(east TN) 2 were v. carolinianus one under a brick in my yard and the other in the wood pile i also saw 1 c. vittatus running around on the rail road tracks. but this has been close to a decade actually. i have heard a few people say they see scorps on there property quite often so there is hope for us TN scorp hunters. im thinking about putting out pitfall traps and see if that helps out with finding a few.

enjoier14

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i actually went scorp hunting today...with no luck lol but i have saw 3 scorpions in my area(east TN) 2 were v. carolinianus one under a brick in my yard and the other in the wood pile i also saw 1 c. vittatus running around on the rail road tracks. but this has been close to a decade actually. i have heard a few people say they see scorps on there property quite often so there is hope for us TN scorp hunters. im thinking about putting out pitfall traps and see if that helps out with finding a few.
I wish I could find a Vaejovis carolinianus :(

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found one where I live, Athens Alabama, and it had the oddest death. I kept it in an air tight container for about three days. Remember the key is AIR TIGHT. On the third dary he died and there was a fly in the container. I was like.... what the crap? The bottom of the scorp was OPEN!

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
would a black light be at all helpful at finding these? or does these species prefer to spend all there time hid?

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
even if i havent saw any in about a decade and such small species? lol

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah those V.carolinianus are small but still a HUGE want on my list, i would kill to have a few
definately a scorpion that is over looked i n the trade

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
V.carolinianus has been on my wishlist a while to...cant believe they arent commonly offered...when i get my black light in a couple days ill check out everywhere for some...i dont really have much hope in finding many..or any at all but hopefully i get proved wrong...

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am surprized them carlinianus aren't around much

all i know is i want some

these carolinianus are suppose to be easier to find ( from what a friend told me in northern Ga.) compared to the C. hentzi i have here in SW Georgia
i find all of my hentzi during the day and find like 30 to 70 of them in a few hours time

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found one where I live, Athens Alabama, and it had the oddest death. I kept it in an air tight container for about three days. Remember the key is AIR TIGHT. On the third dary he died and there was a fly in the container. I was like.... what the crap? The bottom of the scorp was OPEN!
They usually do better when they have access to some air..