Scorpion range question

SoHum

Arachnopeon
Howdy all, I've got a question I'm having a really hard time finding an answer for: what scorpions live where I do? I'm located ~1800 feet in northern California, about 4 hours north of San Francisco just off the 101. So far I've collected a few U. mordax but I've heard a couple of locals say that there is another, larger species around that's darker if not nearly black in color and I'm dying to find it. I've got a high powered uv flashlight, and I'm curious if anybody had any advice on what I might be looking for and what kind of environment I should be looking for it in! There's damn near everything here micro-climate wise, you might be in a forest one minute with Sandy, loamy soil and then walk a mile and you're in open grass land with clay soil and rocks. So there's a lot of options.

Any insight?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They're exaggerating..

They probably saw a few anuroctonus pococki down in socal, which can be dark mahogany in color (darker than U. mordax), and can grow to 3.5" in size, and the furthest north they range I believe is San luis obispo county, they hate excessive moisture.