scorpion noob here: plz help....

How old were you when you got your first scorp? (also post what kind it was)

• Total voters

Readem_Nweep

Arachnopeon
I am not a noob exactly when it comes to scorpions, i have always been fascinated since i was about 10, and i have been studying them since. I just started to get the niche to get one as a pet adn i was wondering, which is the best one to start off with, i know the emperor is a great first one to get, and i was wondering how many can live together since i heard they like to live in groups. Also, if I have more than one, how big should the terrarium be? Another question I have is what is the best food for them? I heard mixing up crickets and cockroaches is the best, but is there a certain size they have to be? Thanks for listening.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The number living together will be determined by the size of your tank. As for food, crickets and other insects is all I feed mine.

Oh, my first scorp was a C vittatus which I caught when I was 11 or 12 y/o

Readem_Nweep

Arachnopeon
well, im wondering how many should i get and how big should the tank be, i was thinking maybe 3 or even maybe 4.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My first scorp was Euscorpius tergestinus corsicanus, i found it about 10 years ago under one of those concrete blocks,
i was so excited (i didnt know there were scorps in Corsica) that i made my friend run all the way to my house to get a jar ;)

as for the emps, 3-4 is good, best not to get 2, because apparently the larger one will dominate over the smaller one, so having 3 extra scorps will even the agression
as for tank size..... maybe 30cm squared of ground space per adult (???????)

Readem_Nweep

Arachnopeon
so do u think a 10 gallon tank would do?
by the way: there is a scorpion chat going on right now in the chat section join channel #scorpion to chat.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
a 10 gallon tank is perfect, if not a little big for an emp.

You could probably keep two.. -maybe- three emperors in a ten gallon.. just keep them well fed and give'm plenty of hides :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Readem_Nweep said:
what kind of food do you suggest? Crickets, cockroaches, both, or other?
Both will work. I am feeding nothing but crickets now.

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i highly suggest foregoing humidity dependent species such as the emperor and going straight to the desert hairies. MUCH easier to keep and overall a better species in terms of everything IMO.

Readem_Nweep

Arachnopeon
Really? I thought the emps where the easiest to care for.... and how agressive are they? Also, which is the best looking variety?

Last edited:

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what do u mean by variety.

they're fairly docile. i've seen fish who were more aggressive.

no, it seems they are not the easiest to care for. if u read around the forum u'll see a lot of people talking about how hard it is for them to keep their emp's enclosure humid enough.

Readem_Nweep

Arachnopeon
I am looking for the easiest to care for and the best looking species right now, since it will be my first scorpion. Can the Desert hairies live in pairs or groups?

Readem_Nweep

Arachnopeon
OH ok thnx fort the emp warning, now im gonna look up for desert hairies, you converted me lol. Isn't there diferent varieties of the desert hairies?

Readem_Nweep

Arachnopeon
I have decided to definately get a desert hairy, i am putting it in a 5 gallon tank. What hides should i put in it and how humid should the tank be? Also, is it better to have more because ill change to get a 10 gallon and get 2 or 3.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Meh, I wouldn't try and keep them communally.. it's a difficult endeavor met with little success by even more experienced keepers.

Humidity should be virtually nil.. and make sure it can burrow it whatever substrate you choose.. They seem to be obligate burrowers.

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
or u could get a 10 and get like 2.

i have a 10g myself with 2 male DH's in it.....been living together for almost 2 1/2 months now with no problems.

but i guess im lucky, not everyone can keep H. arizonensis communally.

do a search of the forum and u can read about communal DH/Spadix setups.