Scorpion mating

TheOneAndOnly

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I've heard that scorpions can mate even if they aren't mature and can have babies?
Is that right? If yes, is it bad for their health?

Thanks in advance!

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Never heard of such a thing happening. Doubt you'll ever have to worry about that.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, which renders the second question irrelevant...

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

snippy

Arachnobaron
Subadults can attempt to mate (i.e. perform the mating dance), but nothing will come of it.

Regards
Finn

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sub adults can like 6instar but not all are successful as they tend to drops the slings or have issues giving birth
below 6i...i doubt its possible.

snippy

Arachnobaron
How can you even say that without specifying the species? There can hardly be any truth to your statement when scorpion species don't have coherent instars in which they are adult!

Regards
Finn

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one thing more, IME mated 6i's that gave birth I've never seen them molt again
they stayed on that instar till they die so they are pretty small that's why i made it a rule for myself atleast 7i when breeding
sub adults can like 6instar but not all are successful as they tend to drops the slings or have issues giving birth
below 6i...i doubt its possible.

snippy

Arachnobaron
But that DEPENDS ON THE SPECIES! Some female Parabuthus spp. are adult in 8th instar, and male Babycurus jacksoni for example are adult in fifth.

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But that DEPENDS ON THE SPECIES! Some female Parabuthus spp. are adult in 8th instar, and male Babycurus jacksoni for example are adult in fifth.
yup, that is why not all. i was referring to the majority i cant deny there are exemptions to other genus/species.
you can also add in knowing they are mature when you see the sexual dimorphism(if the species have when it matures). and i haven't tried yet to 5i b.jacksoni since i'm paranoid of them not growing and loosing the slings would be waste

snippy

Arachnobaron
I don't know what you are talking about. As clearly stated above subadults can not produce young. So what does it have to do with losing slings?? If they were not adult, they could not produce any! And if they are adult, they are not going to molt anymore.

Regards
Finn

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok i'll explain so you'll get my point

lets just say i have several c.margaritatus
6i pair in which you can now see sexual dimorphism
in this stage i can try to mate 1 in which i can consider young adult or sub adult but then i decided not yet because its too small and might give me less slings, then waited for the female to molt in 7i(adult) but because i think i want to push it to its maximum size and age i decided to wait till it reaches 8i so then i mated it with the 7i male and i got myself 80+ slings.

later on i tried it to 6i 7i and 8i and some heterometrus species and almost got the same problem with the 6instars

I don't know what you are talking about. As clearly stated above subadults can not produce young. So what does it have to do with losing slings?? If they were not adult, they could not produce any! And if they are adult, they are not going to molt anymore.

Regards
Finn

snippy

Arachnobaron
Your point is still moot because juveniles can not reproduce. How is that so hard to understand?
You are not pushing anything to the max! If your female molted one more time after instar 7, then it would not have been able to produce young AT ALL in instar 7, because it was not adult yet. The instars in which a specimen of one species is adult can differ slightly, yes. But that does not mean that one specimen could have reproduced in different instars!

It has to be said, molting after adulthood happens in scorpions, but it is extremely rare. So you are most likely misjudging when your specimen are adult.

Regards
Finn

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so you mean from my experiments
(siblings same age, same clutch but feed varied to test growth rate on powerfeeding)
from your statement anything that gave birth is adult and those did not is young
looks like this:

my 6i 6months old(gave birth = adult, didnt give bith = young)
my 7i 6months old(gave birth = adult, didnt give bith = young)
my 8i 6months old(gave birth = adult, didnt give bith = young)

how do you explain those impotent 7i and 8i that i mated atleast 3times then died? young? because they were not able to reproduce?

Your point is still moot because juveniles can not reproduce. How is that so hard to understand?
You are not pushing anything to the max! If your female molted one more time after instar 7, then it would not have been able to produce young AT ALL in instar 7, because it was not adult yet. The instars in which a specimen of one species is adult can differ slightly, yes. But that does not mean that one specimen could have reproduced in different instars!

It has to be said, molting after adulthood happens in scorpions, but it is extremely rare. So you are most likely misjudging when your specimen are adult.

Regards
Finn
"If your female molted one more time after instar 7, then it would not have been able to produce young AT ALL in instar 7, because it was not adult yet."
-i was in control in their molting stages, i mated 6instars, i mated 7instars and 8instars these are all totally different specimens but same age in same clutch. those 7i and 8i that gave birth was not mated on 6i i merely powerfed them to reach that instar at fast pace

"But that does not mean that one specimen could have reproduced in different instars!"
-who said that one specimen could have reproduced in different instars?

Last edited:

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from your statement anything that gave birth is adult and those did not is young
It's simple to understand. If a scorpion gives birth to young then it must be adult to do so.....Although it's bad logic to assume that just because a mated adult died before giving birth, that it wasn't adult. Many reasons can be the cause of that.

The second easy to understand concept is that juvenile scorpions can't give birth to anything.

So...to recap...Scorpions mature at different stages/instars.
Babies on a female scorpions back means she's adult.
No babies on a female scorpions back doesn't mean she is not adult.
A female that dies after being mated is no indication that that female was not adult.
Immature scorpions can not mate or produce young.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Especially Buthids do not have a fixed number of molts before they become adult..so a molt more or less is not uncommon. This is not the case in other families...For th rest, what Olsin and Finn said:D

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk