Scorpion ID Southern California

R U 4 THC 2

Arachnopeon
I found this little guy around palm springs at a friends house. It's significantly smaller than my dune scorpions. It has very small, seemingly weak pedipalps and a much thicker tail than a dune scorpion of the same size. It's color is more rusty as well.

I hope this is the right forum, Sorry, Im new {D

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thinking maybe a small Hadrurus arizonensis, I've been finding a lot of slings of them out near Palm Springs recently.

R U 4 THC 2

Arachnopeon
Thinking maybe a small Hadrurus arizonensis, I've been finding a lot of slings of them out near Palm Springs recently.
I dont know too much about Identifying scorpions, but this little guy has such small pedepalps, I just dont think its a desert hairy. When I throw crickets in with it, itll wait for the cricket to die then eat it. Almost like a scavenger. It's pincers just dont look very strong at all.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know too much about Identifying scorpions, but this little guy has such small pedepalps, I just dont think its a desert hairy. When I throw crickets in with it, itll wait for the cricket to die then eat it. Almost like a scavenger. It's pincers just dont look very strong at all.
Yeah your right, that's a taxonomy fail on my part.

It looks like Serradigitus gertschi, I have found those out there too.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not being from california.. that is spot on the baddest but mini scorpion i've ever seen..
rivaling even androctonus for just menacing looking.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah your right, that's a taxonomy fail on my part.

It looks like Serradigitus gertschi, I have found those out there too.
That's why I was thinking to.I don't think it's S.g.striatus,so probably S.g. gerschi.

R U 4 THC 2

Arachnopeon
http://bugguide.net/node/view/421079/bgpage

It seems, judging by the few images I've found online after that suggested ID, that the little guy is Serradigitus gertschi. I'm welcome to other suggestions, but it seems pretty fit.

Thanks for the help everyone. Now I have another question, does the size of the pedapalps compared to the size of the tail mean anything at all? I'd assume with such thin, weak looking pedapalps that the reason it'd have a thicker tail would be to hold more venom because it can't hold on to prey as easy as a scorpion with larger, stronger pedapalps?

Feel free to correct me, thats just an observation. ;P

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Found this guy in Desert Hot Springs just north of Palm Springs. prolly same SP

R U 4 THC 2

Arachnopeon
Found this guy in Desert Hot Springs just north of Palm Springs. prolly same SP

Oh wow, very cool bro! Do you go out with a blacklight at night, flip rocks in the day, or find these on your property? Im a huge fan of the Desert Hairy's! They are so bad ass! I may have a couple gravid female Dune Scorpions

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh wow, very cool bro! Do you go out with a blacklight at night, flip rocks in the day, or find these on your property? Im a huge fan of the Desert Hairy's! They are so bad ass! I may have a couple gravid female Dune Scorpions
I've never been out with a black light, if I were to do that i'm sure that i'd have way better success.... I just go out herping in that area a lot, and I work out there alot so I'm always checking under wood and trash piles. I've found most by naked eye just flipping wood and trash at dusk, right when they come out. I'll eventually do a night run for rattlesnakes and Scorpions when it gets a little hotter, as in staying hot ( 90 degrees ) at night. Just did a night run out there last week, it was terrible, good temps, but really high winds. I'm going out there tomorrow hopefully I can snag a few if i'm lucky.

R U 4 THC 2

Arachnopeon
I've never been out with a black light, if I were to do that i'm sure that i'd have way better success.... I just go out herping in that area a lot, and I work out there alot so I'm always checking under wood and trash piles. I've found most by naked eye just flipping wood and trash at dusk, right when they come out. I'll eventually do a night run for rattlesnakes and Scorpions when it gets a little hotter, as in staying hot ( 90 degrees ) at night. Just did a night run out there last week, it was terrible, good temps, but really high winds. I'm going out there tomorrow hopefully I can snag a few if i'm lucky.
Right on, that sounds cool. Yeah last time I was out lookin for scorpions we found a sidewinder. Unfortunately we didnt have anything to catch it with. I love sidewinders. Id build a real.sweet enclosure for that if I had it.

Yeah 114 degrees farenheit today in palmsprings