Scorpion ID request

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a juvenile Pandipalpus viatoris. Awesome species, congrats!

lawatson123

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your input. Out of curiosity, what do you see that differentiates it from a P. imperator or Heterometrus sp.? The reason I ask is I was sold this scorpion as an Emperor and I want to have a well informed discussion with the seller.
Thanks again for y'all's help!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you all for your input. Out of curiosity, what do you see that differentiates it from a P. imperator or Heterometrus sp.? The reason I ask is I was sold this scorpion as an Emperor and I want to have a well informed discussion with the seller.
Relatively smooth chelae with heavy granulation on the tergites. It's not an adult so this characteristic isn't as obvious, but even at this age, P. imperator have rounder chelae.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
As Collin says, chela shape and granulation are different from P. imperator.
Probably the easiest way to tell it apart from any Heterometrus is the combination of fairly heavy granulation on the body, and fairly smooth chelae.

Keep in mind that sellers generally know very little about scorpions. They just copy whatever name the importer slaps on and don't know how to properly ID them. In this case, Pandinus imperator can't even be imported, so that should've been obvious that it isn't that.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As Collin says, chela shape and granulation are different from P. imperator.
Probably the easiest way to tell it apart from any Heterometrus is the combination of fairly heavy granulation on the body, and fairly smooth chelae.

Keep in mind that sellers generally know very little about scorpions. They just copy whatever name the importer slaps on and don't know how to properly ID them. In this case, Pandinus imperator can't even be imported, so that should've been obvious that it isn't that.
Since when can you no longer import Pandinus imperator? As far as I understand it there are just caps on the number of individuals that can be imported per year. Is that something that changed for 2024?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Since when can you no longer import Pandinus imperator? As far as I understand it there are just caps on the number of individuals that can be imported per year. Is that something that changed for 2024?
You might be right actually. I thought it was completely banned, as I just don't ever see them legally imported anymore. Mostly CB these days (which is good). It may just not be worth it for sellers to get the CITES permits.