Scorpion I saw in Costa Rica

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I saw this along side a rotten log while trudging through wet forest. I am not a scorpion person, but this was large and attactive so I had to photo it. Mouth to butt (not incl. tail) was 2.5 inches.....

No idea what it was but thought I would share a photo from the wild:

Sunlight:

Shade:

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Matt,

The scorpion pictured is most likely Centruroides bicolor.

Cheers,
Ryan

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that would be Centruroides bicolor

i would die for a pair of those im getting a tatoo of a c. bicolor soon
its my favorite scorpion and always has been

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful! :drool:

I think I saw one of those running away from army ants on the Discovery Channel -- never got to see any while I was there. :(

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nope. Was not able to bring any home. Would not try, either. :embarrassed: I have already had an "experience" with US Customs, Fish and Wildlife, and Homeland Security (simultaneously) that has me looking to make sure no bugs are on my person or in my luggage, and no soil is on the soles of my boots and shoes. I still shiver at the trauma of it all. :eek: :(

Does anyone have these in culture in the USA ?? It was huge and awesome colored. I *almost* thought to get a photo of it crawling across my hand just so everyone could see the size comparison...for a scorp it was REALLY big....

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a lovely scorpion! I want to go to costa rica now and to go around the forest to see a wild one...beautiful!

xxx