Scorpion cleaning crew

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone,

I came across a few instances where individuals would use Woodlice to clean their high humidity scorpion enclosures. The woodlice would eat feeder leftovers and such.
Do any of you have experience with this, and if so would you recommend it?

Thanks!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

Yes I've used woodlice in the past, and they are good cleaners! I now use spring tails which are a bit less aesthetic but seem to clear up any mite infestations too!

Also I've noticed woodlice get quite unhealthy in my enclosures and sometimes end up eaten :D

CABIV

Arachnosquire
Do you guys order woodlice, or are the kind in my back yard generally safe?

brolloks

Arachnobaron
I have not been able to find anyone selling woodlice here in South Africa.
Wild woodlice are plentiful BUT I would discourage from using wild as they could have pesticides or other nasties lurking within.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Let the WC isopods breed for a generation or two and then they're good to go to be added to enclosures. I did that for my Tityus stigmurus and everything seems to be going well (at least for the isopods that didn't get eaten...I recommend small ones). Combine isopods with springtails and you're pretty much good to go! Dry enclosures can be a bit harder, but there are isopods that do well in dry settings and I believe that bark lice (order Psocoptera) can work as a cleanup crew too.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Forgot to add with dry isopods, they'll need a humid retreat to re-hydrate. A piece of bark or something that you mist under on occasion will do the trick.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Springtails might be an option, I might have some in pot plants, will just need to check.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Woodlice(Isopods) are fantastic in humid/semi humid set ups. I use dwarf white isopods in boy my Heterometrus petersii and Babycurus jacksoni enclosures. They don't do well in arid environments as they breath through gills and require moisture to do so.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Let the WC isopods breed for a generation or two and then they're good to go to be added to enclosures. I did that for my Tityus stigmurus and everything seems to be going well (at least for the isopods that didn't get eaten...I recommend small ones). Combine isopods with springtails and you're pretty much good to go! Dry enclosures can be a bit harder, but there are isopods that do well in dry settings and I believe that bark lice (order Psocoptera) can work as a cleanup crew too.
In a dry enclosure (like for H. arizonensis) you can also use death feigning beetles as a clean up crew. The scorpions usually leave them alone because they're too heavily armored to be good prey.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
@chanda I have actually seen a few video's on Youtube about these little guys and how awesome they clean. Seeing as they are native to Southwestern United States I doubt I would find anyone selling them here, but we have got an expo comping up this weekend so will keep an eye open. I could sure use them in my LQ enclosures.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In a dry enclosure (like for H. arizonensis) you can also use death feigning beetles as a clean up crew. The scorpions usually leave them alone because they're too heavily armored to be good prey.
That's right, I forgot about those! Good call!

@chanda I have actually seen a few video's on Youtube about these little guys and how awesome they clean. Seeing as they are native to Southwestern United States I doubt I would find anyone selling them here, but we have got an expo comping up this weekend so will keep an eye open. I could sure use them in my LQ enclosures.
If you can't get that species you may be able to find another tenebrionid that can do the cleaning for you and is native to your area.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
There is Stenocara dentata, but will see if anything else pops up that is close to my area.
Thanks all!