Scolopendra subspinipes de haani

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes de haani

Scolopendra subspinipes

if anyone else has good shots of the ventral side of the prefemur (terminal leggs) of several subspinipes-forms,... please share.

i'll post some more later on this week ;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i also think that the last body segment or two are refered to as sexual segments, so they might have some sort of sexual dimorphism that might be distinguishable.

the second pic would be awesome to determine that, i imagine :)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Steven,

sorry for not getting back to you yet about that question, i am planning on having a photo session on Monday after the BTS show, so i will see what photos of terminal legs i can manage (not that the underside of the terminal legs are easy to photo!).

From a quick look at the pedes that are visible in my room, both the S. subspinipes "Mai Chau" and the red body-red leg subspinipes forms i have from Vietnam have the same terminal leg spine arrangement as pic one. Hmmmm. Interesting.

I take it the pede in pic 2 is one of the Malaysian or Javan pedes?

Cheers,

Last edited:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update:

Scolopendra subspinipes "Chinese stripe leg" - Does have spines on the ventral side of the terminal legs, although i can't make out if it is one or two

Scolopendra subspinipes "Malaysian cherry red" - Doesn't have spines on ventral side of terminal legs

I don't have any more subspinipes pedes to look at, but its the BTS tomorrow, so i'll see what i can come back with :)

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
uhm, i agree with dan, my red leg red body viet looks like the first one, also, the yellow leg form..
any other more difference of dehnni and other species?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Thanx for the input guys,...

i've noticed the same:
Sc.subsp."Vietnamese"
Sc.subsp."Mau-Chau"
Sc.subsp."Cherry Red"

= no spines

while:
Sc.subsp."Chinese Striped Legged"
Sc.subsp."Vanuata"
Sc.subsp."Java"
Sc.subsp."Malaysia"

= spines

as far as the "keys" i have, the only key to De Haani are the missing spurs on the ventral side of the prefemur.
wich makes me think that the Vietnamese, Mau-Chau, Cherry Red Giants are 90% Scolopendra subspinipes de haani
(thinking of it,..they are also the biggest types of subspinipes around,... which makes sence,... dehaani is considered to be the biggest in the subspinipes group. ;) )

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guys, can You give me an address of post or just a short reviev of all known differents betwen S. subspinipes species . I can`t find something good at forum :confused:
Cheers. Greg