Scolopendra sexing picture HELP

Scolopendro

Arachnopeon
I tried to sex my S. galapagoensis. I didn´t want to hurt it, so i pressed really softly on the sternits. As i couldn´t determine the sex, i took some photos.
The photos aren`t in good quality but maybe some of the experienced people here can see if this is a male or female.
Thanks for helping!

Attachments

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'm quite sure that's female, as I can't see any gonopods (two small projections unique to males). Still, I would see what everyone else thinks as well before jumping to any conclusions.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm feeling I barely see the tip of a spinning organ, it's pointed and looks sort of split down the middle when you see it. I have a hunch it would have been more visible with just a little more pressure but hard to tell, good pic though imo.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'm feeling I barely see the tip of a spinning organ, it's pointed and looks sort of split down the middle when you see it. I have a hunch it would have been more visible with just a little more pressure but hard to tell, good pic though imo.
You would know more than me. If you think that is a spinning organ, then that's what it is.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's not "out" enough so I'm not sure. I can draw on Scolopendro's pic to point out what I think I'm seeing there if he's OK with it.

Scolopendro

Arachnopeon
It's not "out" enough so I'm not sure. I can draw on Scolopendro's pic to point out what I think I'm seeing there if he's OK with it.
Thank you very much for your help. Of course, i´m ok with it. Feel free to draw on the pic.

Scolopendro

Arachnopeon
Hello,
as my last pictures of the genital region weren`t good enough to determine the sex i now took some hopefully better ones of both specimen. Number 2 looks like a female to me, with number 1 i have problems.
5D3_2846.jpg 5D3_2845.jpg 5D3_2843.jpg 5D3_2842.jpg 5D3_2838.jpg 5D3_2829.jpg 5D3_2828.jpg 5D3_2826.jpg
I hope some of you can help me determine them correctly.

Thank you
Chris

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I want to say female but it looks like it's not fully everted.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feel the same as John, looks like a female but also looks like there might be the tip of the spinning organ barley showing itself there. I could draw on you pic to show you but I'm out of town now and this wireless is terrible, lucky to be able to even type right now.

Scolopendro

Arachnopeon
Of course you are allowed to draw on the pic. So the specimen in Pic No.2 seems to be a female. What do you guys say to the sex of the animal posted as No. 1 ?

Thanks for your help.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Possibly male, as I think that the organs have not been forced out to their full extent.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I would hazard a guess as female, as I can't see the two appendages on the male's genitalia.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, wait, not every male Scolopendra species have gonopods (i.e. S. multidens and S. hainanum). Are you sure about that S. galapagoensis hat it? In other hand the best thig is to look for othe parts like genital sternit 2 and spining organ, only present in males, and a constant it think in scolopendra genus.

Take a look here to a paper from René Schläfer

http://hochzeitsfotografie-mainz-bi...odecta_Scolopendomorpha_englisch_30_11_09.pdf

Cheers
Carles DP.