Scolopendra paradoxa new. Sp.

NYAN

Arachnoking
It’s not a new discovery or anything, they just finally gave it a species name. It’s nice news though.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It’s not a new discovery or anything, they just finally gave it a species name. It’s nice news though.
He he he...New. Sp. Is a taxonomical term that just means "new to sciences". Of course the locals known the species before sciencies but they didnt know it was "new" or they dont care.
Thanks

Carles

Here i let you the video of a friend of a pling.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
I honestly doubt the claims that it is semi aquatic as I have had numerous pedes that could hold on to stuff and walk underwater though the years. Plenty of dehaani do it, heck if you starve one long enough I'm sure it would happily walk under weather to find a decaying meal at the bottom. I'll get a vid of a dehaani I have that will hold on and not run away if put under high pressure water while on my arm, it will also take food from my hand when fully submerged or in said high pressure water stream. Centipedes are surprisingly persistent when starving and going after food. Semi aquatic is what my C. serpentine I keep are, they have to have water period. S. paradoxa, not so much. IMO if it doesn't need a deep watery section to survive in captivity it simply isn't semi aquatic. Just my 2 cents on that pede. Thanks for the article share though regardless OP Good info.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Mastigoproctus;
to say that like other pedes have similar behaviour under water as S. paradoxa or S. cataracta, not means that there are not other pedes that can do the same. S. paradoxa has been found several times in the wild under water for at last 20 minutes or longer. S. cataracta just one. There are other centipede that can do that two (maybe a S. cataracta colorvariant or maybe other species) in Taiwan.
If that are a trully semiaquatic species (that means that the species spend time and part of their live under it, hunting resting or living), it is a think that must be confirmed.
In the paper we just let opend these posibility because (we no ensure that), this phenomenon is reiterative and plausible thought documents.

I ve never seen what you say in dehaani, it will be nice to see your video!

Cheers
Carles

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Love the color on this species, really easy on the eyes. Can't wait until they're available in the U.S. hobby!